PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Contest Topic Ideas

Obnomauk
02-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Ok kids the animation contest is done and I think a new modeling contest is in order.

so lets get a few ideas for topics so we can vote and get rolling along.

here is my thinking:

We all know A:M is fantastic for characters so lets do something else :eek: lets do something either mechanical or a set piece.

what does everyone think about this idea?

-David

JTalbotski
02-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Just thinking out loud, if it's a mechanical model, could it be something that we could use in another animation contest? Should it be something that many people would like to have? Would the winner be willing to donate it to the community?

Ideas:

vehicle-sportscar, motorcycle, etc.
weapon-spacegun, machinegun, etc.
furniture-uh....
fully furnished room-bathroom (well, evveryone needs one!)

Or how about an animal model and take advantage of the new hair system?

Jim

Zack
02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
I'm all for animals! I really have trouble with mechanical modelling right now. Maybe the contest should be something like "photorealism" that would be pretty awesome. Let's put A:M to the test. anything works, but you're more likely to get the vote with a photorealistic model of your grandmother than with a photorealistic render of a coke can.

That would be fun.

That's where my vote is, although I'm definitely going to participate in whatever gets chosen. I'll start brainstorming some other ideas later.

Zackt.

Obnomauk
02-23-2004, 04:19 PM
"photo-realism" is too broad (and dull in the opinion of some of us ;) )

if we are going to model something the style of the artist should be allowed to define the output rather than a contest applying those constrictions.

something like "train station" gives enough focus and allows the artist to make the decision as to what style they want to pursue.

Jim: I don't know that we need to focus this on a future animation contest. wether to donate the model or not is up to the artist but it is encouraged. seeing a good model/texture job up close is a great way to learn.

of course if you guys want to do more characters that's fine too :) I'm just talking here.

-David

hoochoochoochoo
02-23-2004, 04:33 PM
May I throw a rotten tomato at your ivory tower when you are guilty of making such broad generalisations...
"photo-realism" is too broad (and dull in the opinion of some of us)

I'd like to suggest that we go with a
1- B-Movie "Horror" Character (style open to modelers choice)
2- Charicature of a famous person (style open to modelers choice)

Alternately - a different type of challenge -
1- 1000 patch character (build up model design skills)
2- Furry Creature (only open to people using latest version)

The last choice is that though I originally signed up to modeling and animation contests, characters built in latest versions won't open on older versions of AM.

hoochoochoochoo
02-23-2004, 04:35 PM
This one ISN'T a dig at Obnomauk but it'd be difficult to get excited about animating a set or a mechanical object..
(I'm remembering Tom Hanks in "Big")

Obnomauk
02-23-2004, 07:43 PM
well it's like I said for some of us ;) I just don't like photo-realism as a style that's my opinion :)

I stand by it being too broad for a topic though. one of the things that made the previous contest work so well was that we had a basic theme that was pretty narrow (8th dwarf) and yet left enough room for the artist to explore on their own. I think it was wegg that said the first time through that the main problem with the Official Hash contests was that the topics were way too broad...

Not sure if animation contests should be the focus of the modeling contest (just from the participation in the last one people seem to be pretty busy :( for that kind of thing)

But this is a democracy here :) so feel free to come up with some other ideas.

-David

John Keates
02-23-2004, 10:26 PM
The current AM modelling comp is mechanical modelling so It would be bad timing to do that here now. I am thinking of entering the AM comp so I already have something in the works. I don't want to have to do another mechanical thing for a while(gives me a headache).

I like the idea of making a likeness of someone famouse as it is really good practice for facial modelling and would make for good animation fodder for later.

Some kind of beasty would be good also as it would allow for a lot of creativity in design/style. Maybe "the creature from the deep" or a creation that is a mix of three different animals.

raillard
02-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by John Keates
... I like the idea of making a likeness of someone famouse as it is really good practice for facial modelling and would make for good animation fodder for later.

How about a likeness of Walt Disney?

This model could be used for the next animation contest: Walt gives Schlitzy the thumb's down, after seeing Schlitzy's screen test. ("No way! We'll have to cut it down to seven dwarves!")

Just thinking out loud. Feel free to ignore.

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

JTalbotski
02-24-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by raillard
How about a likeness of Walt Disney?

This model could be used for the next animation contest: Walt gives Schlitzy the thumb's down, after seeing Schlitzy's screen test. ("No way! We'll have to cut it down to seven dwarves!")

Ha!

I like the idea of modeling a famous person/caricature. I'm not gung-ho about mechanical modeling, there's no personality that you add in. And adding that personality is 90% of the fun!

How about a female character? Brittany, Hillary, Pamela...uh... no, not Pamela. Marilyn Monroe? Cher? Too easy...

Other ideas?

Jim

starving4rtist
02-24-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by hoochoochoochoo

1- B-Movie "Horror" Character (style open to modelers choice)

I'd be willing to enter if it was something along those lines...

Zack
02-24-2004, 04:26 AM
I'd enter in anything but a mechanical contest.

hoochoochoochoo
02-24-2004, 08:03 AM
hey.. just had another thought along the horror creature / charicature lines -

how about a detailed animateable head mesh? then this could be used in the animation contest for lip-sync! Maybe when modelling a whole figure we expect too much from a single mesh for all the animating purposes?

cosmonaut
02-24-2004, 10:01 PM
A little tamer but broader than the horror idea :

how about famous villain caricatures? Film, literature, real life, doesn't matter. Come up with your own take on Agent Smith, The Terminator, or Hannibal Lector. Maybe Saddam or Osama? Could make for a fun animation contest afterwards (I still gotta finish up that Schlitzy animation).

I'm not too big on the mechanical idea either. Too tedious and I prefer poly-modeling for mechanical objects.

Zaryin
02-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Instead of just b-rated horror. How about Mythical Creatures. There's alot of those.

John Keates
02-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Zaryin
Instead of just b-rated horror. How about Mythical Creatures. There's alot of those.

How about we get to choose three animals then we have to make a creature out of those. Maybe a lions head on a seals body with lizard skin.

starving4rtist
02-24-2004, 10:37 PM
I like that idea, but the animals should be all that we are given. It can then be up to us what parts we will take from each animal.

Zack
02-25-2004, 05:37 AM
Too narrow in my opinion. We've got to find a balance.

Obnomauk
02-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Hmmm a thought hit me: how about a creature (of the artists choosing real or mythical) made out of ... well not normal materials ... like a newspaper and wing-nut cow or something... I have visions of three little pigs one made of straw one made of sticks and one made of bricks... but that rings to strong of a bell to be my idea I must have seen it somewhere.... but it's a notion for a character idea

"Constructed Creatures" s

what do you guys think?

-David

hoochoochoochoo
02-25-2004, 05:02 PM
what do you guys think?

a cue for a voting poll perhaps perchance??? :D

Zack
02-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Kind of Meats Meier style? I guess, although it would be a huge challenge for everyone.

hoochoochoochoo
02-27-2004, 08:18 AM
a cue for a voting poll perhaps perchance???

c'mon Obnomauk.. I'm champing at the bit here, can we have a poll? (pretty please?)

starving4rtist
02-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by hoochoochoochoo
c'mon Obnomauk.. I'm champing at the bit here, can we have a poll? (pretty please?)

Me too...I've been watching this forum like a hawk the past coupla days

Obnomauk
02-27-2004, 02:29 PM
sorry for the delay been busy around casa de mauk the last few days poll going up soon.

-David

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.