PDA

View Full Version : Elena Formal Portrait, Lunatique (2D), (2D)

Lunatique
02-22-2004, 04:47 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2652/elena_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2652/elena.jpg)

Title: Elena Formal Portrait, Lunatique (2D)
Name:
Software: Painter

Painting a life portrait digitally was definitely easier than painting one traditionally. So much time is saved when you don't have to change/wash brushes or deal with the physical complications of real paint. A traditional life portrait would've taken me probably three times as long to paint.
Originally, I wanted to paint something bold and impressionistic, but as the sessions went on, I realized my sensibility is not quite there yet--I'm still too chicken shit to throw all caution into the wind. I did make a conscious effort to allow my brush work to stay loose, suppressing the urge to blend away the brush marks. But the battle rages on--I still have to much to learn and need to work harder at being spontaneous.

>> Hi resolution image<< (http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/elena_formal_portrait/elena_formal_portrait.htm)

Close-ups:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/elena_formal_portrait/closeup-1.jpg
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/elena_formal_portrait/closeup-2.jpg
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/portraits/elena_formal_portrait/closeup-3.jpg

grafi
02-22-2004, 05:07 AM
Great work!!
Ive always been a fan of your work.
Keep it up!:beer:

FUG1T1VE
02-22-2004, 06:27 AM
I just saw it over at gfxartist.. her face can pass as a photo :thumbsup: very good work. I think the dress should have some folds thought or maybe they cant be seen since the light is coming from the right.. ahh what am I talking about this is a great composition.

skyfinch
02-22-2004, 06:39 AM
The painting caught me off guard, as the model looks just like my little sister.:eek:

Anyways, very nice work.

EricUNSL
02-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Impressive....most impressive. This is probably the nicest painting I've seen you do. Your attention to light and value changes is very nice. I promised myself I'd learn painter sooner or later. Is all this done on one layer with the oil brush or do you paint with something else and blend with the oil brush?

From life? NIce. I'm still learning how to improve in traditional painting. You are a braver soul than I. How many hours was each sitting? Doing it impressionistically wouldn't have shown your control over the program, especially in the face. thanks for sharing.

Anim8rJB
02-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Utterly fantastic. Bravo. Really.

Kirt
02-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Very nice lighting and colors. You're a lucky man Robert. Don't let her get away from you. :D

I think you should do more life studies. I enjoyed this piece much more than your last adventuring party illustration. This one has more life in it than the other (even though they were both pretty static poses).

Very nice attention to details in her face and hands.

[front paged it for you, because it's just a marvelous work of light and beauty] :thumbsup:

Layer01
02-22-2004, 08:31 AM
wow..i love her face.... :bowdown:
thats you wife!...what can i say......u lucky man :thumbsup: :D

olijosman
02-22-2004, 08:41 AM
beautiful picture!I like the colors mixture :thumbsup:

Lunatique
02-22-2004, 08:56 AM
wow, I didn't expect answers so soon on a weekend. :scream: Thanks for the comments!

FUG1T1VE- There were very little folds, and they weren't very obvious in the lighting.

skyfinch- Got a pic of her? :D

Eric UNSL- Everything was painted on one layer. Except the beginning sketch--that was made into a multiply layer at first, so I can lay down the basic values/colors underneath it. Once I had that, I just flatten everything onto one layer. Painting on one layer only feels much more like traditional painting. I used only the Wet Gouache Round 30 brush in the Gouache category (resizing it as necessary), and the palette knife for the background and couch.

The first sitting was only a few hours, since the sky became overcast and stayed that way. The second sitting was several hours. Then I spend another few hours on it afte the life sessions.

Kirt- Thanks! She's more worried about me running away than I'm worry about her. ;)

I get comments about how my portraits are much better than my other paintings. I dunno why people say that. The two are completely different styles and purposes. Realistic portraits are done to capture a real person. My other paintings are painted out of my head, using my imagination only-and they are to tell stories. Of course the realistic stuff would seem to be more "skillful" because people tend to associate realism with skill. But the other paintings are FAR harder to paint, and take at least 10 to 20 times longer because you have to problem solve without the aid of existing reference for imaginary stuff. Personally, I'm more fond of my imaginary works. :blush:

thx1138
02-22-2004, 09:06 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I was completely fooled by the front page preview. I thought for sure it was a photo. I'm speechless.....

:bowdown:

speveo
02-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Really amaizing Rob. Well done. This is beautiful work.

I also agree with you that painting from the imagination is far more difficult than painting from life, but this is still a major achievement in terms of colour and form. :arteest:

What does your wife think of this one?

Cheers

- Steve

roborn
02-22-2004, 10:08 AM
:arteest:

wowow!!!

amazing job!!! :applause:

PCollier
02-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey Rob,

Must join the others here and applaude your efforts you have really captured character in your wife beautifully, its a great piece of work.

The only very very small thing that stood out a tiny bit for me is her finger joints in her resting left hand, the shadow is perhaps a bit to dark with to strong a contrast, resulting in perhaps bit overly sharp finger joints most notably on her little finger.

But even with that it is only a small crit and I love the piece she looked like a photo on the front page :bowdown:

Jako
02-22-2004, 10:13 AM
awesome! I'm speechless :bounce: :thumbsup:

Goro
02-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Stunning!
The lighting is awesome!

There is one little thing that bothers me.
I think something is not right with the shadow of her
left shoulder. The shoulder looks a bit flat. Maybe the
shadow is too dark...I don't know exactly.

Anyways this is amazing!!
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

georgh
02-22-2004, 10:19 AM
thats awesome........and thanx for the close ups............
you work in painter right?
what rez do paint these in?

Once again........ thats great

Ed Lee
02-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Just by glancing at the work it felt simple. But then I saw the close ups, I would say you have a great control of the brushes. The subtle blending of color, light and shadow are well done.

Ed--

Riddick
02-22-2004, 10:43 AM
An impressive sensation of presence!
Good work

Erikoinen
02-22-2004, 10:47 AM
She's so sweet.

muyyatin
02-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Wow.. amazing work yet again! Inspires me to get a tablet and practice 2d! This work also kindof caught me off guard, as it looks very similar to my ex... you are a lucky man (luck might be the wrong word, but yeah)... Your pictures are a big part of a fairly small collection that I take a look at whenever I get frustrated at my art, inspires me!

SangHanArt
02-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Wow. I love the hair. At first I thought it was a really well textured 3D model. I just purchased painter and it's hard to get used to. I guess it comes more naturally to those who've painted before with traditional medium. Anyways, great work.

future14
02-22-2004, 11:35 AM
hey man, awesome.... sweet! elegant....it's too good till nothing to say man!!!

it's truely give more 'life' feeling for me...excellent!

Aehbon
02-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Your wife's beauty really shows through the painting.

Your art is very distinct its very soft. Only suggestion I would have is: I personally would like to see sharper lines. Your art reminds me of what a dream may look like slightly blurred.

But again, i'm a fan of your work. Keep it up.

Aehbon

Tigerdog
02-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Really nice work.:thumbsup:

Creamdog
02-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Great work!!!

(your wife I mean;) )

kosinus
02-22-2004, 01:01 PM
really beautifull, what will you do with this digital painting then ? a big printing could be really nice!

Ac0rN
02-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Beautiful :bowdown: , absolutly awesome :cry:

Franz
02-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Very unique. Good decision to go into that mixture of traditional and digital. This seperates it from other excellent portraits.:thumbsup:

batavia
02-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Very nice. You ousted that 3d face on the frontpage.
If you don't mind, can you share some of your techniques here? I especially want to know the process you go in choosing the colors. Whenever I try to draw a face, the colors are always messed up, and it makes me want to break my good ol mouse. If you can help me, that'll be great.

kfc
02-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Wow... great work.
:P
now i know what did u do with ur weekends.
Eleana must be very happy now. I bet this is better than a diamond ring for her.
:applause:

btw, wish she's feeling better now (health).

dragon666
02-22-2004, 02:43 PM
i dont know whether to shit myself or go blind,
this is too good for words

ps.i think you should do a nude painting of her, i wanna see your wife naked teeheehee

DeadWards
02-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Great work! I can only dream of what it takes to be able to paint like that on the puter or not on the puter! Your wife is also beautiful, like your work is.

Rubberduckie
02-22-2004, 03:50 PM
This is simply beautiful....u sir are one talented sunovagun...lovely tones...:D

Cheers! :beer:

arliss
02-22-2004, 03:51 PM
This is fantastic work Robert done from life congrats!:)
When anyone doubts that great art lies in the skill of the artist and not the medium (ie "the computer does all the work") all they need to do is look at work like yours and understand how revolutionary digital is.

Some questions if you don't mind-

*What resolution do you work at when working from life? One of the toughest things for me when painting digitally (I like to be able to see the gestalt of the piece emerging) is having to zoom in and out on sections as opposed to traditional work where you can always view the canvas as a whole to a certain extent. Do you block out major shapes/colors/etc during the session and then zoom in for detail after you have layed the ground work?

*Someone also asked this question concerning your palette- how should the digital artist proceed in making his color choices as opposed to setting your traditional palette? (in terms of how color works on the computer vs. canvas)

*In regards to brushes its interesting to see the you used the gouache brush and palette knife- your brushes are really great and I have been using them in my work- any reason for the change or just a continued exploration? How do you choose brushes in regards to getting the look you want on the digital canvas?

Cheers:)
Inspiring As Always!

HapZungLam
02-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Nicenice Luna. Haven't seen your work after that wolf girl.

I wonder is it better if you add more of the specular on both eyes to match her glossy lip.

great work Luna.

hesido
02-22-2004, 04:21 PM
OH MY!!!!!!!

Superb......

Lunatique, this piece is soooo nice..

Only thing that bugs me, the spec on the eyes shoud be much brighter, judging that from the lips specs.. The eye would happily have more specularity than a lip , even when wearing a lipstick!! please put 2 white dots on both eyes and this is the best pic of the month!!!!!

EMCOM1
02-22-2004, 04:21 PM
GREAT WORK!
Not only technique but sensitive also.
Very good.

sinai_1
02-22-2004, 04:50 PM
This is unbelievably real, when i first saw the front page, i thought this must be a work done by someone who's a relative or boyfriend of a very beautiful girl i work with. Still can't get over the fact that they'll pass for identical twins.....

Great work man !!!:bounce:

BNicolucci
02-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Lunatique
I get comments about how my portraits are much better than my other paintings. I dunno why people say that. The two are completely different styles and purposes. Realistic portraits are done to capture a real person. My other paintings are painted out of my head, using my imagination only-and they are to tell stories. Of course the realistic stuff would seem to be more "skillful" because people tend to associate realism with skill. But the other paintings are FAR harder to paint, and take at least 10 to 20 times longer because you have to problem solve without the aid of existing reference for imaginary stuff. Personally, I'm more fond of my imaginary works. :blush:

I don't think it has anything to do with people here associating realism with skill, it's just your portraits are (IMHO) of a much higher quality then the stuff you are pulling from your head. This portrait has life to it and isn't overly detailed. Your imaginary works have individual pieces that work, but as a whole come together poorly (once again, IMHO). It's seems more to me that you are trying to hide your weak points by throwing as much detail in to the painting as possible, even when all the detail fights for the viewers attention. Maybe it's not the viewer who is associating realism with skill, but you who are doing that?

Don't mean to sound so negative, you obviously have a lot of skill. It's just frustrating, as a viewer, to not see that skill in the imaginary pieces and then see it come out in spades in beautiful pieces like this.

DaPrato
02-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Ho !, so pretty nice girl, i love your details painting, and your precision, its awesome dude.

j_mac
02-22-2004, 05:17 PM
that looks great ! nice job

mstl
02-22-2004, 05:25 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

jizzypop
02-22-2004, 05:55 PM
wow. great job. its nice seeing a regular get plugged too. its usually somebody who just joined to show off their work.

JohnD
02-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Always loved your work. Great job.:thumbsup:

Boone
02-22-2004, 06:15 PM
I would say that the results of your experiment are a very good success, indeedy!

Although not quite the masterpiece you were hoping for - I would definetely take the "experiment" further in the next picture you do. I say you can improve on this...give it your very best!

Take no prisioners.:thumbsup:

Grugi
02-22-2004, 06:35 PM
:drool:

this is soo beautyfull. I love your style.
Donīt see anything to crit :shrug:

dragon666
02-22-2004, 06:37 PM
hey rob

I was just thinking, you should put out your own video tutorial, sorta like the gnomon ones, whatcha think?

mac666er
02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
:buttrock:

Lunatique, you are really good that is for sure.... Just some thoughts.

I like more 3D realistic models so I am not much of a digital painting admirer... But I must say that you have impressed me.

You captured the same beauty from reality the same way Anry always does from fantasy.

I do think that I would have liked a painting that is not so blurred and provides more detail but that is just my taste,

Keep looking for that impressionistic touch!

E X C E L L E N T!!
:thumbsup:

thetalink
02-22-2004, 07:00 PM
I really like your work! Would you be interested in talking to me about a position? I am looking for artists that can do realistic human characters using Lightwave.

jwrightcreate@yahoo.com

Norlan
02-22-2004, 07:17 PM
It's always incredibly beautiful to draw someone who you love. I am amazed, Luna!

PauloSampaio
02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
great, very great ....

your wife is wonderful...

some day I do it ...

congratulations...

fsanimate
02-22-2004, 07:43 PM
stunning, its amazing how talented people are on this site. Just awesome.

Brian

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
02-22-2004, 07:46 PM
man she is cute..u have a beeeeeeeeatifuuuuuuul wife! so as ur painting. I love it sir. it rocks!!!:love: :love:

rattlesnake
02-22-2004, 08:03 PM
this painting feels alive, stunning work, youre a great artist, love the brushes u used and is nice the level of detail u get, make it looks so traditional and full of feeling, congratulations! u have to print this for your wife on a poster size!

Annuostivix
02-22-2004, 08:13 PM
wow! I thought it was an awesome 3d rendering from the front page, but now I see that it's an awesome painting :D She's very pretty, it shows through the painting a lot. It's as though you're looking at her, not a painting of her. I think it's her eyes, I am really drawn to them. Good job! I've become a fan of yours after the adventuring party, I noticed you then and now I am going to make sure I keep an eye out for your work.

edited: Oops, sometimes I forget how to spell :p

DJ Scorchio
02-22-2004, 08:34 PM
This is absolutely brilliant, the dress looks really amazing! great work

Pinky_Powers
02-22-2004, 09:26 PM
:saves to hard drive: :love:

Great work. I too have been a big fan of yourse for a long time. This is one of my new favorites of yours now. Great work dude:beer:

TiKiMoN
02-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Annuostivix
She's very pretty, it shows through the painting a lot. It's as though you're looking at her, not a painting of her.

It's a beautiful testiment to what Rob feels for his wife, as we are seeing this through his eyes... and skilled handiwork. Words are quite inadequate to describe this wonderful labor of love.

However, I do have one question... do you, in some way, regret choosing the digital medium for this specific portrait over paints? When I saw this portrait and read all the replies, the one thing I felt most strongly was that this is a piece that should be displayed in your home, where you can not only see the image but enjoy the texture of the strokes and fine details of brushwork that just seem flat in the digital medium. I'm just curious what you think about that.

But, as always, excellent work! :thumbsup:

Plays_4_Pants
02-22-2004, 09:57 PM
very pretty picture. Ur right, it's not very gutsy, but that's ok...it's technically and visually masterful. There's always the next painting.

Fiblah
02-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Wow, this painting is great. I love the colors, and the lighting is just perfect. Great job! :buttrock:

By the way, your wife is very beautiful. :p

dwin
02-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Wow... Another good work again from you.... This is very nice. Photorealistic.:thumbsup:

craigus_moorus
02-22-2004, 10:56 PM
A simple, elegant picture, whose beauty is only matched by its subject matter. Amazing.

Now, we need to produce enough of those for 30FPS, 30 minutes of dialog, followed by an action scene....

=P

onlooker
02-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Lunatique, your best yet. When I saw the plugged picture I clicked on it expecting to see S.Stahlbergs newest 3D female. Great job. :bowdown:

RichardHertz
02-22-2004, 11:23 PM
What can I say but it looks wonderful. Great job.

Lunatique
02-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful comments! I have to be at a siggraph function all day today, but when I get back, I'll reply to all your comments. :beer:

pushav
02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Lunatique, thanks for helping me out in the Painter forum on this site. Plus your tutorials were kind of helpful to me. Now I have confidence to use painter 7 now. And that pic you just painted looks too REAL. Now I must force myself to paint to try and get that good.
:buttrock: Shocking work always.

Please post more work. :bowdown:

swardson
02-23-2004, 01:18 AM
I really love your work, It has really inspired me to move from 3D to 2D digital work. I really love this peice and it is amazing as usual. Thanks for constantly putting out interesting and talented pieces. :)

Turbonium
02-23-2004, 01:54 AM
You have a pretty wife. :) And I'm sure she's a great person to, cuz thats what really counts.

Great digipainting. I gotta start doing this stuff.

Turbonium
02-23-2004, 01:55 AM
btw u used a wacom-type tablet, right?

Metrini
02-23-2004, 02:36 AM
You know what I think about the work already Rob from gfx but one comment made here on this thread I had to reply to. Someone said you were lucky because your wife is beautiful. :eek: (I know I might be in the majority here being female) but..............We "ugly" chicks make great wives also!!! :p

Was really surprised he associated your luck with her beauty. I know alot of beautiful women who aren't too "nice" :surprised :p

Now back to the image Amazing JOb Rob!

MaDSheeP
02-23-2004, 03:37 AM
Lunatique, I am blown away by your skill...

just incredible...

your style is one of my favorites... and you are one of my favorite artists =)

incredible... I love it =)

rexfang
02-23-2004, 04:13 AM
AWSOME!! Great Painting!!

:beer:

DEVARSHY
02-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Kudos to you.

Its when i look at artists like you that I start to believe that one day we might be able to gain same respect for digital Art in this big bad world of Art....just as much as the traditional mediums command.
I mean when you go out to a real gallery or dealer with your art and they dont throw you out just after hearing the word "digital".

Maybe one day.

Keep at it Mr Chang, You are the light, Sir.

elfling bard
02-23-2004, 05:03 AM
Hey this is amazing! After this I am eager to see what you will come up in 3d! Waiting for The Promise. I am still on for the music by the way! If you still need some mail me, I got some update on that part!

Cheers

specs44
02-23-2004, 05:53 AM
im looking at this peice in two ways one is utter amazement i love the lighting and how bounces of her skin:beer: but.. im extremely jealous im working on a pic right now for a little lady friend right now and im really having problem with figuring out how to do hair and getting the lips to look right. Its my first attempt to do something photorealistic (or close to that)

well i really love it, i hope i can digg out some tricks from it to help in my own work

decor...
02-23-2004, 07:09 AM
ahhhhhhh beautiful

haseppa
02-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Hello. I'm sure a person with your level of technical skills is tired with all the WOW's and !-marks. So some critique, to make you try EVEN HARDER.

I'd say you should consider if you want your style to resemble painting or corel Painter. To me this style resembles some tutorials of Painter. I know you cannot be fooled to believe this was an actual painting, but try to show your work outside this kind of forums too, you maybe surprised of the feedback.

To me the face looks the least perfect piece of the painting. It is way too detailed and unrelaxed (technically). Take a look at the work of masters and notice how relaxed their portraits are. Consider using broader brush and less strokes. Also I don't like the hair. That doesn't look painting or real, but somewhere in between, too much detail again. No brush simply works that way.
Parts of the background work well as well as her hands and bare parts of torso. Dress isn't dynamic enough.

Lighting is nice, but it could use more drame. The girl is pretty "flat" considering how strong light seems to come through the window. I'm not sure about the composition neither.

Enough of this now. Your technique with painter and Wacom is allright, but I suggest that you try studying more of classic art.

- Harry S

JDMedia
02-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Very very beautiful, and if that's you're wife... lucky bastard ;)

SpaXe
02-23-2004, 10:17 AM
What a beautiful job!!:thumbsup:

Lunatique
02-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Ok, I'm back.

There are over 5 pages of comments, so I'll just answer the questions that were asked, and give a huge thanks to everyone else! :love:

Speve-O - She says she likes it.

PCollier - Yeah, that's me trying to simplify things. It'll get even simpler with the next piece. :)

Goro -Yes, the lighting is weird there. There's the light from the window, the light from the lamp, and then the bounced ambient light in the room.

juju - Yes Painter, and I always work around 8.5 x 11, 300 dpi these days.

Ed Lee - Ed! I emailed you before about Baby Vox, but you never wrote back.

I'm hoping that in the future, people wouldn't need closeups to find my paintings special. I'm working hard on that.

muyyatin - Got a pic of your ex?

fluxen - Just keep trying and don't give up.

Aehbon - I'm working on it. I do like the soft look though--it's a personal preference.

kosinus - I consider this painting a failure, so I'll have to keep painting more. I don't hang any of my own artwork up though--it's a personal thing.

batavia - Oh, you can't compare 2D and 3D like that. Apples and Oranges. As far as the process goes, I have it in detail, to be published in the D'Artiste book coming up.

kfc - Hehe, now you know why I don't work weekends. Yes, she's feeling better--thanks. I don't know if the portrait makes her especially happy. This woman is used to me taking thousands of photos of her, so it's just another normal day for her. :D

dragon666 - heheh. If I do, it aint getting posted online.

arliss - resolution--answered above somewhere.

Yes, I block in everything roughly first, then go for details. I try not to zoom in to actual size if I can help it. That tends to kill the work. I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

For colors, I just eyeball it. Sometimes I mix colors on the palette in Painter. It certainly is easier and faster to choose color digitally.

I've been using my own brushes for so long that I wanted to see what I was missing out on. Turned out some of the new brushes in Painter 8 are better than some of my custom ones.

HapZungLam - Guess you missed my Ordinary Heroes post? That was plugged a couple weeks back I think.

I tried brighter catch light in her eyes, but Elena didn't like them. Also, the lips are of a lighter color, while the iris is almost black, so it is possible that the lips reflect brighter light.

hesido - See above.

sinai_1 - I need to see proof. Pictures? :D

BNicolucci - Hmm, I'll think about that. Let's see if I can remedy the problem.

Boone - No prisoners will be taken.

dragon666 - Hahahahaha..... When there are guys like Feng and Ryan out there doing it already? Not a chance in hell.

mac666er - I'm still changing and learning, so hopefully the future pieces will be different.

thetalink - I'm a director at Optidigit, and I won't be going anywhere for a while. I'm not a LW user, so it won't work anyway. (BTW, the piece is a painting, not 3D)

TiKiMoN - That is one of the unfortunate things about digital--we sacrifice the magic and romance of a real painting in order to have the convenience and ease of digital. I plan on doing more traditional painting in the future though.

dwin - Unfortunately, photorealism is the last thing I want. I want expressive and painterly--but I'm not quite good enough yet to pull it off. Gotta keep trying.

craigus_moorus - One of my goals for my short film is to be able to do NPR rendering that looks like oil paintings. So, you just might see it from me one day. . ..

onlooker - Steven's girls don't wear so much clothes. LOL! (I kid! I kid!)

Turbonium - If she was only a pretty face and great in the sack, I wouldn't have married her. She's an angel in disguise, and loves me as if her life depended on it. I'm a damn lucky man, and I'm damn happy that I ended up with her and not someone else. Needless to say, I luv my kitty kat.

Yes, I use a Wacom Intuos 6x8.

Metrini - Hehe, yeah I know what you mean. But strangely enough, the most beautiful girls I've dated in the past were the nicest and the kindest ones. Isn't that strange?

DEVARSHY - Heh, I don't much care for the gallerie scene, so it doesn't bother me. IMO, digital will never rise to the same prestige as traditional. Any experienced painter will tell you that traditional art is much harder, and requires far more skill. That's just the way things are. It's the same reason why electronic musicians will never get the same recognition and respect as classical, jazz, or rock musicians.

elfling bard - Promise will be worth the wait, and we're trying all we can to secure funding for it.

specs44 - The most important thing is to just observe and practice. Break reality down into manageable values and colors--you can't paint everything you see and you shouldn't. Be selective and make creative choices in what to leave out of your painting. Look at the paintings of the artists you admire and study how they broke things down.

haseppa - I agree with everything you said, and I'm trying to improve everyday. I do look at tons of classic art. I'm a huge admirer of Sargent, Zorn, Sorolla, Waterhouse..etc. I'm also a huge fan of contemporary guys like Schmid, Lipking..etc. I study their works all the time. But it's easier said than done--to do what you said I should do. I've been trying for years to get to that level.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the comments. (Sorry I didn't answer to all the comments--I'm dead tired from the siggraph thing today and I have a pounding headache.. . .)

colkai
02-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Drop dead cool.

I love the painting, it has a real 'feel' to it, even though you are obviously unhappy, (but then - artists what ya gonna do? <g>).
Keep trying to persuade my wife to pick up the graphics tablet, but no, she want's nothing to do with it.
Surprised me really, I'd never have pegged her as a 'traditionalist' but she has a real hang-up about 3D art and no amount of cajoling can change her mind.
Shame that, wanted her to create textured for my 3D models :D

Oh, BTW - you're a lucky S.O.B. but at least ya know it! ;)

DigitalCrystal
02-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Awesome work man, usually I will just glance at these frontpage threads and say to myself, "self this is good" but that's about it. But today I felt like postin'. The style is very cool, hope you keep up the good workin the future.

Once again, real nice!

noen
02-23-2004, 04:30 PM
i agree with haseppa - and with Lunatique's own assement of his work - i think it might be a good topic for discussion: "how do improve my art?" or perhaps for cgtalk: "how do i improve my digital art?"

i'd like to advocate going back to traditional media and trying some approaches there, then bringing those new insights into the digital realm - reality - real paint, real canvas, is far richer and more varied than the digital so it makes sense to me to use it as a source to be mined and to bring those results back to electronic media

one of the things that happens to use as artists is that our own inner censor gets in the way - for all artists, the struggle is an internal one, we need to slay our dragons and clear out all the crap that society heaps on us - its hard work! and sometimes it feels like you aren't making any progress, but you are, one day it will surface, you just have to have faith that it will

down through the ages there have been a number of techniques used as a way of getting past the guards, getting past our defenses - one of these is to draw or paint faster than you think you can - you push yourself headlong as fast as you can, ignoring the guards screamming at you - if you try this often enough you may find that, hey! those drawings i did really fast arent as bad as i thought - and also, you'll find yourself better able to ingnore those inner critics and that in its self will help

another method is the exact opposite - try working very very slowly, imperceptivly moving your pen or brush - the idea here is to lull the guards to sleep and sneak past them

still another is to drug them but in my opinion the price is too high ;)

food for thought
brenda

hesido
02-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi Lunatique :)

Also, the lips are of a lighter color, while the iris is almost black, so it is possible that the lips reflect brighter light.

Personal choice is mostly not open for discussion but of course, we have to keep one thing in mind, it is not the iris that reflects the light, it is the colorless and transparent cornea that reflects it. So the colour underneath doesn't really matter, and the cornea reflects bright objects really well!

Anyway, if it is personal taste, can't say anything..

specs44
02-23-2004, 05:33 PM
well thanks for responding, i'll get back to killing these painting of mine. i look forward to seeing your next work.

MadDuke
02-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I took a look at the photos that you took of your wife on your website because I wanted to see a picture of the person your painting is based on.

I agree with almost everybody else that your wife is a beautiful woman in the painting. But your wife in your photos doesn't look exactly like the painting of your wife. I wouldn't say that it's photorealistic like others have said.

It is like you took your wife and captivated and enhanced her beauty in a romantic and mystical way.

Another way for me to put this is I can look at your photos and think that your wife is a very attractive women but then move on. I look at your painting and can't take eyes off of it. I don't know exactly why but it is very inspiring.

Garma
02-23-2004, 08:42 PM
you keep inspiring dude. the mood reminds me of that other picture of yours, the blond in the black clothes. This one is cuter though.

yade
02-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Mmm. Very beautiful!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Inspires and motivates me to do more figure painting from a real model (just hard to get your hands on one.)

I can't wait to see more looser/rough work!! Loosen up! :D

sinai_1
02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
sinai_1 - I need to see proof. Pictures?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lunatique, unfortunatelly unknown to me, friday was her last day at work. I went with a print of the closeup and 3/4 one just to show her and had to show it to her best friend instead who on seeing the print, called her name(thinking its her friends pic). It took sometime to convince her that this is someone's wife in KL, not the US.

ldlam
02-24-2004, 03:33 AM
She is very beautiful!
I love it!:applause:

Four
02-24-2004, 06:35 AM
:thumbsup: great work:thumbsup:

hertzchim
02-24-2004, 09:14 AM
I saw the FRONT PAGER, clicked on the image and while it was downloading I thought, "Oh, another ****ing photo overpaint..." but then I read your anti-paint-over thesis and was gladdened. You are the real deal. This is a fabulous painting. No crits.

A.RAmos
02-24-2004, 10:57 AM
beautiful job!:thumbsup: great work mate, what can say, itīs beautiful . :thumbsup: :buttrock:

Akildee
02-24-2004, 02:22 PM
robert, I love the whole painterly look that you are going for now but I must admit I do really like your "overly refined" and blended stuff as well. And I know that most people equate realism with skill but you have such a nice mood to your realistic paintings. It's definitely.... realism plus or something! Because the lighting and composition is all out of your head. I especially like "mood 1" on your website. It's simply perfect.

I like this painting a lot as well. I have no crits. It's just a great job. Great lighting, technique and compostion. You're at the point now where every digital piece you do makes front page on this forum.

As for your wife being more worried about you running off than you worrying about her.. I don't know about that! :scream: :)
You need to keep a closer eye on her now that everyone knows that you have a hot wife!:thumbsup:

lol!
Keep up the good work man!

akil

Cman
02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
... 3) I was sick and tired of seeing painted over photos. I wanted to do something that was my private act of protesting against these "fake digital Sargents" as Craig Mullins once put it.

What do you think about using a photo as reference?
Would you consider it a copout to have taken a photo of your wife to use as a model, instead of having her physically sit there for hours?

Just curious.

Infant Finite
02-24-2004, 06:51 PM
The picture is nothing short of outstanding. Congratulations on the work. I'm sure you're wife will want to use that as her new passport photo. Being so lifelike I'm sure she could get away with it.

Well done! :)

bengal
02-24-2004, 07:12 PM
yo, this pic is cool, lunatique!! :) your hand is still sharp!!

Lunatique
02-25-2004, 01:15 AM
colkai - Have you shown her some of the best CG works around? Maybe that'll change her mind?

Digital_Crystal - Thanks.

noen - I still experimenting with what is just right for me. Enough spontaneity, and still refined--is VERY hard to do.

hesido - hehe, in this case, my wife wins, because the portrait is for her. (Maybe I can sneak the catchlights in there when she's not looking. . ..)

specs44 - Next one will most likely be traditional. Gotta get back to my roots and strenghthen it more.

MadDuke - Yes, the whole point of painted portraits is to flatter, without deviating away from the real thing too much. Unless you're painting a crusty old guy--then you want to be as close as possible. :D

Garma - Thank. I think all my stuff kinda look the same. It's a personal thing I guess.

yade - *Gets up and jumps around* Nope, not loose enough yet.

sinai_1 - Too bad. Oh well.

ldlam/Four/A.RAmos - Thank you.

hertzchim - It's a good thing that people do read then. :D

Akildee - Thanks. I've got an invisible hightech collar around her neck. If her affection for me strays more than 10 feet away, her heart will explode.

Cman - I think using photos is ok and sometimes you just can't avoid it, but, it's more fun and more meaningful to paint from life. We ALL use photo references--it's just a reality. It's just unreasonable to expect your models to sit for extremely long hours, or the sunlight to stay for you if you want to paint outdoors. I'm making a point for myself to try to paint more from life from now on, that's all.

Infant Finite - Hehe, her passport photos are always very pretty. She's uncommonly photogenic. Lucky girl she is.

bengal - Oooh bengal. Me love you long time. :love:

Cman
02-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Cman - I think using photos is ok and sometimes you just can't avoid it, but, it's more fun and more meaningful to paint from life. We ALL use photo references--it's just a reality. It's just unreasonable to expect your models to sit for extremely long hours, or the sunlight to stay for you if you want to paint outdoors. I'm making a point for myself to try to paint more from life from now on, that's all.

Thanks for the response.

It's a great painting.

colkai
02-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Lunatique,
You know, that's what is weird!
She has seen the expose book, thinks the work is beautiful, but no, she just does *not* want to do it herself.

It's so strange as I would never have pegged her as being so "traditionalist". I guess we all have our idiosyncracies <shrugs>

Personally, I'm convinced she would be superb at it, but she doesn't like working on the computer - I guess that is the root of it.
She prefers the tactile work of brush and pencil, the feedback and control. PC work is too much like 'I.T.' to her.
Here's some of her work...
http://welcome.to/jillart

entity_primus
02-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Good work! I classify it as impressionism. It's not the stroke that matters, its a rather "tight" impression. Not exact or exceeding the natural detail necessary to understand the mood and subject-- hence it is impressionistic! IMO.:bowdown:

haseppa
02-29-2004, 06:08 PM
For the longest of time, I became interested in commenting on something.. As Noen put it, it sure would the most interesting thread of discussing how to improve pur digital art.

It was only then, when Picasso was highly appreciated no matter what he did, that he became much worse in what he did the best.

To me there isn't such a thing as a "perfect painting or portrait". There is always something to improve, and something to change. Having said that I still think this "perfect painting" should be the goal, but the cap between "current" and "perfect" can only be narrowed by critisism and fresh ideas.

I'm also glad to realize that Lunatique is adult enough to having thought all this before hand. And that critisism seems to affect him the right way.

So .. come on people, I bet my head, that you something more to say than "Wow, perfect".

HenningK
03-03-2004, 10:04 AM
If you wanted to protest painting over a digital photo, why did you want to make this portrait look like a photo? Yeh, its perfect.. but why?
-hen

hesido
03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Henning K sure has his points there.

If you ask me, painting "over" a photo is not all THAT bad unless you are cloning it using Painter's cloners which makes it all look like it has those brush strokes :) You can make a photo look like a genuine painting in a matter of 5 minutes if you know what you are doing...

You can just get the proportions out of the photo, and redefine the whole mood, redefine the proportions of the subject to your esthetical perception, use a different lighting angle etc. And that's not that bad if you ask me (because I did it a couple of times, LOL.. Well I can draw acceptably without the "trick" but I am not as talented as most of you guys :cry: )

Btw, for me painting "from" (not over) a photo is by no means cheating at all like everybody agrees :=)

So there you have extremely talented artists like Lunatique painting superbly without a photo layer under, and still they have to explain people that they haven't used the photo trick as the result is very photo-real!

That's a clash!

But I don't care, really. I enjoy good quality images whatever method is used. But I respect Lunatique more because he is not using any "cheats".

ceql
04-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Whoa, Looks like I'm a bit late to this thread, but I must congratulate you on another beautiful painting Luna! Stunning work as usual!! :bounce: :bounce:

Lunatique
04-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Holy ressurected dead thread batman! Oh yeah ceql, you're very very late. :D Thanks BTW.

Just a side note, I'm working on some new paintings, and if any of them end up looking as stiff and sterile as this one, I'll quit painting and never pick up the Wacom or a paint brush again. I'll just concentrate on writing, photography, and music after that.

shehrevar
04-30-2004, 11:36 AM
I am late too, but that shouldn't be a reason not to say: AMAZING! she is truly breathtaking beautiful! Great work!

3dRaven
05-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Just a suggestion but try adding something on the empty wall. The weight in the compostion seems a bit out of balance. A painting or anything would help even out the picture. Other than that no crits. Really like your style Lunatique :thumbsup:

chien
05-02-2004, 12:02 PM
nice work there Rob..... your understanding on the female anotomy is really swell...... as well as your lighting ...... that illustration is really inspiring............ I first saw in on the gfx gallery and it was really great.......

Anyway..... keep up the good work! that reminds me to start painting again......

Fred.
05-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Great work, there is so much detail in it ! :bowdown: :bowdown:

doublerr
07-08-2004, 03:20 PM
SO NICE....i m thinking how/if i can do tat........
too bad, i cant :sad:

nacho_grande
07-21-2004, 09:16 PM
It is amazing :bounce: Brilliant work indeed :applause:

neozenit
07-22-2004, 12:54 PM
very nice work :thumbsup:
Guapisima

Saikin
07-23-2004, 02:36 AM
great work, I like how you didn't mess up the proportions of the eyes like many do. This is very well done.

maxsun
07-25-2004, 01:40 PM
awesome! I'm speechless :bounce: :thumbsup:
It is very good, it is a very vigorous Chinese girl.

dragonofjapan
08-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Just totally lacking in talent and married to such an ugly woman. We all weep for you.

Really I am mostly upset about the uncontrolable drooling this painting is causing me.
:love:

techart
08-09-2004, 01:40 PM
nice drawing....very artistic..pictural..like the stile.....

JohnnyRandom
08-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Beautiful job:) love the palatte

rictormortis
08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
beautiful work! its people like you that keep people like me pushing harder to get better,

keep up the good work!

xLess
08-14-2004, 09:38 PM
very clear painting.respect...:bowdown:

Son_of_Skeletor
08-29-2004, 06:47 AM
I must start painting again... this is an inspiring pic.

BiggRobb
09-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Have you posted any new illustrations up lately? I still haven't gotten around to my first one due busyness at school. I plan to do it painter 8, first using a contour line drawing for reference. Good luck on your work/s.

habashart
10-17-2004, 02:53 AM
Yes sir, I must say its an honor to write you how I learn from your work, lately studying (dartiste), Incridible paintings.

bolchover
10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
the lighting and simplicity of this piece really make it feel real. great stuff!

Lunatique
11-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Have you posted any new illustrations up lately? I still haven't gotten around to my first one due busyness at school. I plan to do it painter 8, first using a contour line drawing for reference. Good luck on your work/s.
Oops, I didnt' realize people are still replying to this thread! Sorry about not paying attention!

I'm actually working on a whole batch of new paintings. I took a long break from doing any painting and just concentrated on composing music and improving photography. But, now I'm back on the saddle and I'm in the middle of a metamorphasis. So, you might be surprised when I post the new paintings I'll be finishing soon.

Actually, I have some sketches up in the Space Opera Challenge. So, check those out.

Meilinia
11-18-2004, 06:46 AM
@_@ Wow The colouring and everything is perfect, And shes very pretty!

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 11:53 AM
WOW..WOW... again WOOOW:)

DL-
12-31-2004, 11:06 PM
Lots of people have said this already, but I could've sworn that was a photo. Elena's veeery pretty, you are one very lucky guy :). Nice lighting. And this hasn't got much to do with the art, but I like the dress too... did you design it? I thought I heard you've designed some of her stuff.

ingoStudio
01-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Awesome man!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.