PDA

View Full Version : visible rectangle while employing alpha shift

12dreamz
02-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Hello everybody,

just finished my site, but after viewing it in the browser of another machine I recognized that the swf didn't display the alpha effect correctly. The areas reserved to be completely invisible were actually present. To put it exactly, I got several gif's with a transparent background which are subsequently animated in motion tweens (only alpha change). And its exactly the transparent background of the gifs which is faintly visible while it should'nt be. Same effect occurs with non animated gifs with transparent background.
Problem occured on a IE6 explorer under winME.

Should that be taken as a general limitation of transparency used within gifs? I'd like to hear opinions or a solution/workaround if possible.

Thank you very much for taking your time

Ian Jones
02-21-2004, 11:43 PM
I have discovered the same problems. I haven't tried *.gif, but I can tell you that the same thing happens with *.png

What I haven't tested yet is whether this still happens in MX2004. I don't know of any workarounds either, sorry.

12dreamz
02-22-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, that makes the two of us. I've searched through the net but I still haven't found anything valuable.

haabe
03-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Do your computers , by any chance, have 16bits colourdepth display instead of 24bits? I have experienced completely transparent items being visible in Macromedia Director when using 16bits colourdepth.

Anyhow, a workaround in Flash could be to mask the bitmaps manually in Flash using a mask layer.

12dreamz
03-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Arh, I can't believe it. It was indeed the 16 bit. Usually I just laugh at things like this. And masking the bitmaps manually would work, too I guess.

Sometimes life is just TOO easy. Thank you, [hb].

Ian Jones
03-09-2004, 05:45 AM
A solution! finally... this is good news. Time to make some new complex effects. Thx [HB]!!!

atenyotkin
03-20-2004, 12:54 AM
You could also trace bitmap and then delete the unwanted areas.. that way it doesn't matter what color depth the screen is set to.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.