PDA

View Full Version : Creating a blinking joint

titaniumdave
02-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Well I just got done reading "Stop Staring" and one thing has got me thinking. Theres a chapter about rigging and weighing the head with joints. He creates three joints for the eye. One for the eye and one for the lower and upper eyelid. I started thinking do you need to create a joint for the eyelids? Couldn't you just create two shapes for blinking eyelids up/eyelids down instead of using joints?

Dave

YankyBJeans
02-21-2004, 10:49 PM
yes you can. i would use more than two shapes on the eyelid and use the "inbetween" option. also, as an alternative, you can use influence curves or several to move the eyelid. i use this method and happen to like it better than blendshapes.

Yanky

john_homer
02-22-2004, 10:01 PM
I like blendshapes, because you can override any other blendshape deformations by using the "exclusive" option (under advanced tab) and be sure that your lids are closed, and not penitrating each other, even if you have a huge squinting blendshape cranked up... or a supprise, with eyes open...

.j

JasonOsipa
03-01-2004, 11:39 PM
The reason I chose to do the eyelids with joint instead of blends is that the book is about teaching, more than doing.

On the head from the book (my ugly mug) a blendshape would have been pretty good overall, BUT, then let's say, you went and tried to rig a character like my latest guy:

http://www.jasonosipa.com/Downloads/Pics/wipSquooshBrows.jpg

and all of a sudden you need an inbetween, or TWO inbetween shapes to get the thing to blink right without the eyelid caving through his eyeball. I was trying to go with "better safe than sorry" with the instruction, and I tried really hard not to do too much "branching" in the instruction, not too many exceptions to rules. That would have made a lot of things, but the setup scripts -in particular- more breakable.

9 times out of 10, bones yield better results for eyelids due to the nature of a motion needing to go over a curved surface. Blends are linear, and, while they can be made to work, they're MORE work than just using things that rotate to cover a round surface.

Hope that helps! -J.

Nemises
03-03-2004, 01:48 AM
you have to love this board.......:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.