PDA

View Full Version : max vr maya

kayamate
02-20-2004, 05:24 PM
do yall know how to get meya to do something like the basic sky light in max, without resorting to mentaleay or some complex light rig?

lazzhar
02-20-2004, 06:58 PM
If you put a big sphere with a white surfaceshader and desable your default lighting, then enable Final Gathering you'd get something similar to skylight.
Jeremy Birn has posted this file scene , if you need try it:
http://www.3drender.com/light/FG_demo.mb

Emmortal1
02-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Simple answer: No.

FG would indeed result in the use of mental ray, thus it wouldn't be much help to this guy.

To get a similar effect, you can use GI Joe light rig. Other than that, there really isn't a "simple" way of going about it by using Maya's default renderer.

Emmortal

lazzhar
02-20-2004, 07:56 PM
@@Simple answer: No.

I really dont know why i didnt read that he's not using MR:surprised

kayamate
02-20-2004, 10:04 PM
well the main reason i want to get away from mentalray (besides rendertime) is the noticable"ugly dots"(insted of a smoth shadow) when its on a low# of rays. Is there maybe a filter for it?

also could i please get a link to this GIJoe rig?

ugly dots ->http://students.uat.edu/attbodi/final1000.jpg

Jozvex
02-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Any renderer using an area light without many rays is going to have noticeble ugly dots.

WhiteRabbitObj
02-22-2004, 02:25 AM
There's some option you need to change to help get rid of the dots, I think the threshhold of something or other. I'm not versed in Mental Ray but using photon mapping will always give you dottiness unless you use infinite rays (technically). So you up (I think threshhold) and it blurs the dots into each other. Having more rays/photons simply increases the amount of dots so that blurring it is more accurate.

Jozvex
02-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Those dots aren't photons dots (well, the coloured ones are) but the shadow dottiness is just that the settings of his area light are too low.

Are you using a MR (mental ray) area light (ie, a normal Maya light with the Area Light button ticked under the MR rollout)?

Because if you are you need to turn the default settings of 3, 3 up to something like 4, 6 perhaps. Though those dots are dottier than default settings should give you.

:shrug:

kayamate
02-23-2004, 07:04 PM
-aria light in mental ray

the thig is i dont want smaller dots or blury dots, i want no dots
with a smooth shadow, o well
:hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.