PDA

View Full Version : suicidalballoon.com (Flash animation, need crit)

liquidamber
02-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Suicidal Balloon (Flash animated series)
www.suicidalballoon.com (http://www.suicidalballoon.com)

If you would be so kind, I'm after constructive feedback regarding my animated series which is now available online for your viewing pleasure.

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks for your time.

3dJessy
03-03-2004, 07:13 PM
What can I tell you, it's funny. Who would come up with such a concept. I was cracking up waching the reactions to the balloon poping.

I especially liked the one of the petting zoo, that was hilarius. I think the key to these animations is the intricate details of individual reactions, subtle or obvious.

Now, the ugly part:

I thought Maul Trouble was mediocre. The hunter had plenty of time to shoot the tiger before the balloon poped and he just stared...stared... at the balloon... the tiger getting upset... the hunter staring... waiting. Why didn't he just shoot.

Misfortune in a bottle was also not great. The reaction to the balloon poping was weak, because it was a bit undefined, and not intricate, not haveing a second or third reaction. This one seemed more like for ages 5-11.

The thing is you are working with a concept that has a predictable climax, the balloon's going to pop, so it's in the resolution that you have to surprise the audience. This is a big challenge. Also, you might want to think about expanding the scope of the animations, bringing other balloon related characters into the scene. Or create unexpected, or shocking scenarios. The audience could easily become immune to the repetitive comedy, so change or surprise is my advice.

Kormendi
03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Randall,

I quite like the animations. Very interesting concept. I think it can have endless potential. Though, knowing that the balloon pops in every short, I think you will have to come up with really creative and possibly odd consequences for endings.

Keep the viewer guessing. Unpreditable endings. For instance if I may be so bold. In "Misfortune in a Bottle" instead of soda pop, it's wine. And instead of coconuts falling on him, it's an erandly fired canon ball from a pirate ship battle on the sea. The captain yells "Sorry" from off in the distance, as the canon ball collides with him and then a coconut tree. Then the coconuts fall down onto his head. Unpredictable and odd! Sorry, I guess I have Pirates of the Carribean on my brain. Hopefully you get what I mean.

I still think it's great stuff. Nice animation. But one question. Why a balloon?

liquidamber
03-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Thank you for the great feedback so far. I'll most certainly take up your suggestions and recommendation when undertaking further episodes. It's all about the element of suprise and unpredectability.

Would anyone else be so kind to leave further feedback?

Why a balloon you ask, I'm not too sure myself. What could be more innocent to associate with the term 'suicide'?

Thanks again.

marc31
03-07-2004, 06:17 PM
The web is good.
I like the sound efects, but i dont hear any backgraund sound.

if is my english is bad, sorry.

RAK
03-07-2004, 07:29 PM
I do like the whole setup... but i will look at it tommorow from work. At home i have a 56k modem connection and at work ADSL.
And at the moment i have been popping a lot of balloons. ( I have waited for the first menu :-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.