PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: CF-18 Hornet

canadaka
02-20-2004, 05:38 AM
This is something i made last night kidna spontaniously, did it fast too, about 2 hours. I think it turned out alright, but im open to some C&C to go back and improve it.

The model is a Canadian Air Force (CAF) Hornet Fighter Jet.

http://home.canadaka.net/trevor/3d/cf-18%20hornet.jpg

Texture:
http://home.canadaka.net/trevor/3d/cf-18%20texture.jpg

Zieroth
02-20-2004, 06:53 AM
First off, texture size. If that's what you're painting it at, you might want to avoid doing things at 700*700. When you shrink things down to 256 or 512 (any higher is a waste on such a low poly model. Even 1 512 is to much), you're gonna get alot of messed up stuff happening with your pixels. I don't know if you know, but game texture size have to fit the 2 to the power of equation. Like, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc. I think it might actually be multiples of 16, but I'm not sure about that. I don't know EVERYTHING about texture sizes. Anyways. When you size down in Photoshop, you want to bring things down to half the original size. That way, things are kept clean, without weird blurring that you'll get from 700 -> 256.

You have alot of lines of detail in your texture that are blurry. Being a mechanical thing, lines in your texture should be sharp and clean. Use selections and pen paths and shift/brush clicking to get that sharpness. Really, only your shading to show form should be soft. An example of what I'm talking about are the lines on the vertical tail wings (or whatever they're called).

I know you said you only put 2 hrs into this, so I'm guessing it's not finished, but this critique is as if it were finished. I hope all this made sense.

canadaka
02-20-2004, 07:17 AM
thanks for the comment, i will do what you said about the lines.

heh of corse the texture is 1024*1024 im not a total newb ;)

i just resize both images too 700px wide so they would fit in the forum without stretching the forum tables.

LoTekK
02-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Interesting texture, and nice-looking model, but that's no F/A-18. The nose/canopy section (as well as the dorsal area) looks more like a cross between an F-22 and F-35. The wing shape is also pretty off.

Supervlieg
02-20-2004, 07:38 AM
The one mayor thing I see wrong with it is that the canopy doesnt stick out far enough in order for the pilot to be able to look backwards. They reason they stick out as much as they do is for maximized vision.

canadaka
02-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by LoTekK
Interesting texture, and nice-looking model, but that's no F/A-18. The nose/canopy section (as well as the dorsal area) looks more like a cross between an F-22 and F-35. The wing shape is also pretty off.

ummm.. its off because its not a F-22 its a CF-18 thats the shape of there wings.

the only thing that is off is, your right, the canopy. I will hafta add more polys to that to get the real shape.

LoTekK
02-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Reread my post more carefully. I mentioned the F-22 in a completely different context. And yes, the wings are off. They're too fat, and the area above the air intakes are too thick.

BiTMAP
02-20-2004, 11:11 PM
that section just behind the canopy of the plane needs too stretch under the canopy. Becuase it stores the ladder to get in and out. I wish i had a scanner, i have a VERY good F/A-18 hornet book that has TONS of photographs.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.