PDA

View Full Version : exploding robot rig?

mockingbird
02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
right now it have a segement robot with each part weighted to joints.
the robot is to explode amd the joints fly around the room.
i want to animate the joints by translating them but have the problem that the joints still take movement from the parent joint anyone know of a way around this?

im think of some kind of locator constants system to bake into the joint but of course this is a last resort as i would like the anim to be easly changed, any suggestions ?

maxmare
02-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, If that were me doing it I would animate your robot normally up to when it explodes, then use an unparented version of the same robot from there. Just copy the robot at the last frame of the first animation and turn the rigged version off using the new one.

Hope I explained myself clear.

But then I may be wrong.

Matt Leishman
02-19-2004, 04:27 PM
maxmare's method would definitely work, but if you don't want to set up a second rig that you could use to swap out you could try something different.

when i make robots, typically i'll just parent the geometry segments to the joints (they don't need to be "skinned" because they are hard segmented pieces that don't need skinned style deformations). well, if i wanted to do what you are wanting, i would have to find a way to animate the unparenting of the segments of geometry for when the explosion happens. What you could do is not parent the geometry segments to the joints, but use a parent contraint to attach the geometry segments to the joints. then when you have to have the robot explode, you could just animate the constraint weight of the geometry to the joints to 0, and then on the next frame, start animating the geometry segments in an explosive manner, and because their constaint weights are keyed at 0 you should be able to move them anywhere you want and they won't be affected by the joints anymore.

I've never tried it, but i don't see why it wouldn't work for your situation. good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.