PDA

View Full Version : sun light system

sash_animator
02-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Does any one know of a lighting system (ideally for maya) that correctly simulates the position of the sun according to the time of day; And it may be asking too much, but the month as well?

vrf
02-20-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer, but your question really makes me curious. What use would you have for such a system that you couldn't just fake it with directional lights?

annaleah
02-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Bonus tools.

Annaleah

NUKE-CG
02-22-2004, 04:23 PM
vrf, it's a feature that is in 3ds Max, I always thought of it as a big waste of time.. but whatever floats your boat.. ;)

Jozvex
02-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Annaleah is right, if you get the latest Bonus Tools package from the Alias website, there's a 'sunlight system' type of tool included. I haven't tried it yet myself, but it can't be too bad.

sash_animator
02-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by vrf
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer, but your question really makes me curious. What use would you have for such a system that you couldn't just fake it with directional lights?
We've got a very accurate and basic model of a real city. We wanted to work out the logistics of filming on top of certain buildings.
E.G.if we film on top of building A at 1pm in August. will sky scraper B throw shaddow across our view ?
It may sound like a long way around things. But it saves a hell of a lot of time (and of course money) when scouting out for a good locations.
Think we've found someone whose going to write a script for us using geographic data. But I'll check out the bonus tools anyway.

thankyou all for the replies

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.