PDA

View Full Version : character: New Work

Lerr
02-18-2004, 03:45 PM
My latest character.
http://www.digitalsculptor.org/images/soldier_shaded.jpg

http://www.digitalsculptor.org/images/soldier_wire.jpg

Any ideas on how I could make this guy better?
Thx in advance.

BryanSilva
02-18-2004, 04:20 PM
nice work, but I think his legs, mainly from the knee down needs to be thicker. His ankles look like they would snap it he were in battle.

Miroku
02-18-2004, 05:08 PM
The feet look too small.

Akildee
02-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Either his arms are too long and his legs are too short or his torso is too big! Maybe all of the above, i'm not sure but i would play with his proportions more. Your texture is looking nice but just personally I would rather see darker forest green/brown fatigues rather than lime green. Remember he's supposed to blend into a jungle type setting so a color change and less saturation would be good. But the main thing is that you have way too many poly's. You could probably do that character with 1500 less polys. for instance, you have all of those flow lines on the upper which you are not realy utilizing. You could also optimize the arms and the boots. Maybe some other places as well. You could also add some scars adn some "eye makeup" to his face. That would make his face more fierce. But don't get me wrong, it's looking very nice, you just need to put in some hours of tweaking and optimization to make this a professional looking model. : )

akil

Lerr
02-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Thx for all the feedback.
I seem to have the "too many polys" problem allot with my models. I guess I am just too poly happy or something.
Anyway,
I agree with what Silva said about the legs below the knee needing
to be larger, aswell as the boots, so I will see what I can do about it.
Thx again all

Buck
02-18-2004, 08:39 PM
If you plan on using all those polys you have on the model i suggest that you use them to define som wrinkles and foldings on the cloth and backpack. That would look kinda cool.

Multimediaman
02-18-2004, 10:55 PM
I'm noticing a little seam in the center of his face... it looks like either you have a gray background on your texture and the uvw coordinates aren't in far enough or there are some unwelded verticies or something there... might want to check that out...

--edit--

Originally posted by cholbrow
it might look cool if you added camouflage to his face
now that you mention the face, you know, here's another suggestion... why not add some shadows to his face if his hat is going to be on all the time?

cholbrow
02-19-2004, 01:50 AM
it might look cool if you added camouflage to his face

rob-beddall
02-19-2004, 08:37 AM
hey!!
yep! way too many poly's.
also the texture would look a whole lot better with just some simple light baking on there.
cheers!!
shouldn't take more than 5 mins to set that up :)

Freakychakra
02-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Hiya Lerr

It looks to mee like the facial texture doesn't "fit " with the rest of the textures.
Maybe it will help after you try out some light baking on the clothes.

Looks like you could remove quite a few polys from the boot sides, as well as the various packs.

Freakychakra

Lerr
02-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Update.
http://www.digitalsculptor.org/images/soldier_full_rev.jpg http://www.digitalsculptor.org/images/soldier_wire_rev.jpg

Well i got rid of about 1000 polys and he stand at around 3800 now.
I bulked up his legs below the knee and made his feet a tab larger.

Multimediaman: yes, there was a tiny grey seam running down the middle, so I fixed that. Good eyes.

I added some lighting to him aswell, instead of the flat lighting.
Any better?
thx

TRyanD
02-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Legs still seem a bit small imo.

Might be able to shave some polys from his head and hands too, seems a bit high poly for the visable detail, your texturing looks pretty good so you could prolly take some more polys out and texture teh detail in.

Multimediaman
02-24-2004, 12:08 AM
that shading you added makes it a lot easier to tell what's going on...

Originally posted by TRyanD
Legs still seem a bit small imo.

if you want some proportions, my ankle is about 1.5 inches deeper than my wrist is wide... and my ankle is about .5 inches narrower than my wrist is wide... if that helps

pseudoBug
02-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Looks tons better. A little shading and highlighting goes a long, long way.

I could be wrong, but I have the desinct feeling that his legs are a tad on the short side, and maybe his crotch is a tad low. Maybe not though. (I know that's not the thing one wants to hear when one is in the texturing phase) Here's hoping I'm wrong :)

Lerr
02-24-2004, 02:00 PM
http://www.digitalsculptor.org/images/soldier_front_view.jpg

Heres a straight on front view. Seems like the camera is doing
some distorting of the true proportions.
Could be me just rendering bad angles aswell? 'shrug'

rob-beddall
02-24-2004, 02:10 PM
hey!!
yeah, he is coming on nicely now.
tho i still think that his arms could be improved.
they seem to look a bit like sausages. ( can't think of another word for it. they just don't look like sleeves if you know what i mean? )
there are no creases or anything, it looks as tho his arm fills the whole sleeve, as tho they are skin tight.

sorry to keep going on but i found it hard to try and say what i meant.

cheers!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.