PDA

View Full Version : moving the character and the rig

nuabudikae
02-18-2004, 09:13 AM
i've skinned my character and i want to place it somewhere in a scene. How do i move it without having the rig and the skin come away from each other.
Before i could group them and move them together, but for some reason when i try that now the body moves faster than the rig and everything gets disaligned.

Matt Leishman
02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
when i set up my rigs, i typically have a Master Node (which is a selectable control curve of some kind). Everything in the rig is a child of some sort of this node. So, in addition to my various control objects which are driving my rig's hand and feet etc, I also parent the root joint to this Main node (with a couple of other group nodes in between them, but thats not important for this explanation). Thusly, all I have to do to move my rig around in the scene for placement purposes, is to just move that one Main control node, and everything just follows along for the ride.

I hope that explanation isn't too unclear. good luck.

ps - don't group the skin with the rig. this will cause the double transform of the geometry that you are experiencing. Maya's history is telling the geometry to go wherever the rig goes, so its only necessary to move the rig, and the body will just follow because of the skin binding.

Buexe
02-19-2004, 06:53 AM
turn off "inherits Transform" in the transform node of your skin(s). This will prevent the double deformation effects you are experiencing.

nuabudikae
02-19-2004, 08:41 AM
oh Buexe I actually searched around before posting this and i think you gave the same answer to someone else. I tried to look for it in the help files but i still don't really understand. How do i turn off the inherit transform?

sithwarlord, do i just select my entire rig and parent it to a locator? Including the locators i use to constrain the arm/leg pole vectors?

Buexe
02-19-2004, 09:46 AM
no problemo nuabudikae, select a skin (or any transform node), open up the Attribute Editor, in the Transform Attributes section below rotate axis there is a little checkbox called "inherits transform" if you turn that off the skin will not inherit any transformations from parent nodes.

Maybe create a locator and group it to itself, turn off the inherits transform checkbox and move around the parent (the group) , you see?

I think I used Maya for 2 years before I discovered this little thing that changed my life forever : ) any way it is really useful if you want to have one parent(root) node for your character that you can move around in your scene without flying to neverneverland.

cheers buexe

nuabudikae
02-19-2004, 11:29 AM
i found the attribute, but with all the ik handles and stuff i can't move the rig without something weird happening. Is there anyway to move the rig as a whole without grouping it to itself so i can test to see if the transform thing actually worked? Maybe that's what you were saying with the locator, but i don't quite follow.

Buexe
02-19-2004, 12:11 PM
The thing with the locator was meant to be an example in an empty scene, just to understand the concept. If you are trying to get the rig under control turn off inherits transform for all nodes that seem to fly too fast away (double deformation), i.e. ikHandles, constrained objects, bound skins, blendshapes,etc. To give you an idea how I do my hierarchies maybe this example helps (supposed to look like the outliner : )

rootNode
|_joint1
| |_joint2
| |_all yourotherjointsandstuff
|
|_ikHandles_group
| |_foot_ikHandle_L
| |_all your other ikHandles and constrained objects
|
|_skins_group
|_head_skin
|_body_skin

In this hierarchy inheritsTransform is turned off for ik_Handles_group and skins_group, so that the children of them don`t "fly away" when I move around the rootNode. Beware with your ikHandles though, depending on what effect you are trying to achieve, they should or could be in different locations in your hierarchy, so after the you checked the "inheritsTransform" thing check out parentConstraints if you haven`t already done so, because they can also help you in creating a working hierarchy. So, I hope you are not absolutely confused now.
later
buexe

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.