PDA

View Full Version : Basic Rig questions (coming from LW)

MasonDoran
02-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Ok, we are starting a new real time sports game project (soccer) and the characters need to do some crazy stuff (they r not human).

I had some questions regarding the rigging....as our animator is coming from Lightwave and is having to learn maya. I know enough about character setup....but i dont have practical experience of how animators want to control their rigs.

Rotational Axis.....does it really matter which axis aims down the joint? He wants Z to aim down the bone just as in LW...will this effect the workflow as opposed Y or X ?

Rotation Order....?? which one to use for a rig that will do kung fu moves? (whats the differance?)

IK....is it possible to isolate the IK so it effects only one Axis on the joint (and be able to key it)

Would like to animate the "pitch" (axis aimed down the joint) of a bone that has IK on it so that it can wobble...how to?

john_homer
02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 2byts
Rotational Axis.....does it really matter which axis aims down the joint? He wants Z to aim down the bone just as in LW...will this effect the workflow as opposed Y or X ?

Rotation Order....?? which one to use for a rig that will do kung fu moves? (whats the differance?)

IK....is it possible to isolate the IK so it effects only one Axis on the joint (and be able to key it)

Would like to animate the "pitch" (axis aimed down the joint) of a bone that has IK on it so that it can wobble...how to?

rotation Axis: doesn't really matter that much, unless you have a specific need, some MOCAP packages require y down.. etc..

Rotation Order: that is relative to the rotation Axis for a start... then it depends on what each joint will do.. impossible to answer for an entire character... I would suggest you read the docs and understand rotation order, have a play, and see what works best to avoid gimbal lock..

IK: lock the axis you dont want to rotate.

..the "pitch" ...: no you can't directly... but you can use the ik joints to drive another joint and add the wobble to that..
.j

MasonDoran
02-24-2004, 09:05 AM
cheers on that....

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.