PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Artifacts?

johnnynightlife
02-18-2004, 03:38 AM
Can anyone suggest why out of the blue, these artifacts appear from mental ray? my sampling is set at 1,3 and the only thing that i am doing different this time is that i added SSS to the round fluted candle. I have one spot light/area light, with sampling at 4,4 low,sampling at 4,4. The geometry for the scrolls i tend to keep at a high count, as the scene is simple, and I can afford a little longer render time.
check out the images. any help would be appreciated.

its just a simple rendering for product previz.

johnnynightlife
02-18-2004, 03:47 AM
that is soooooo odd!

the quality of the image that i uploaded is 20 times better than the image in the render view within Maya. I just noticed because i opened my own image from my post....Whats the deal with that?

After maya was done rendering, i saved to another folder as jpeg, then in Photoshop, reduced the size and quality of the render, and uploaded to this thread to see if anyone could help me out. :shrug:
I run maya on a 2.4 gig windows Xp with 1gig of ram, and a quadrofx2000. I cant imagine that the problem is my video card, causing the result of the renderd image to be such low quality.
Does anyone follow what im saying? cuz im confused...

brunner
02-18-2004, 04:44 AM
was the render window at 1:1? :cool:

johnnynightlife
02-18-2004, 05:09 AM
yeah, it was...im still tryin to see waht i did different this time around, but the only thing i can see is the SSS shader.
I just did another rendering with the sampling turned up to 2,4, then did a render region, and im still getting some pretty funky artifacts.

Daniel Whitton
02-18-2004, 08:48 AM
That's funny you say that John. I was experiencing the same thing. When looking at my renders in the Maya render View, I noticed extremely bad banding, and self artifacting. When I saved the images out as anything else(Targa's,jpeg) and opened them in ACD or phtoshop. There were no artifacts. I have found nothing in the dos about this. Only thing that it says is that the render view doen't support HDRI, it has to be batch rendered with RGBE frambuffer. Not that it is relevant in your situation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.