PDA

View Full Version : Bad TV Distortion in shake

jwmoebius
02-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Hello, I'm trying to do a Bad TV Effect in Shake. You know, like those old TVs where you had to turn a dial to actually see something and then somebody trips over the antenna and it distorts into noise for a bit ... or you get some kind of electric buzz that distorts everything for a second ... so far I'm using a checker to create scanlines and another checker along with an IDisplace for distortion and mix that with a Rand ... but it doesn't really look right. :shrug:
Has anybody got any tips on how to create this kind of effect?
thanks, jwm

alexx
02-17-2004, 10:14 AM
i would definitely go for a channel split in addition:

seperating the RGB channels and give each a camera shake, so they move apart.
also i would create "ghost images" like putting on a time shifted sequence.
and last have the image lose the sync - moving it in the vertical and horizontal axis.

cheers

alexx

jwmoebius
02-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Cool, thanks Alexx. I still need more input though. Imagine the TV was a couple of years older, and already had buttons to change the channel. Very ghetto though. What does the channel change look like? What happens there? If the picture distorts, what is "behind" it? Black? Random? Or does it wrap around? Any thoughts appreciated!
jwm

Ian Jones
02-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Can I suggest that, due to the fact that you don't know or don't remember how it used to look on old tv's that you can pretty much just make it up because your audience will have no idea either.

jwmoebius
02-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jones
Can I suggest that, due to the fact that you don't know or don't remember how it used to look on old tv's that you can pretty much just make it up because your audience will have no idea either.
So you suggest that no one with a better memory than me will ever watch the stuff I create? That's a pretty harsh judgment ...
Maybe someone with a strive for authenticity will have another suggestion?

Ian Jones
02-17-2004, 11:53 PM
omg.. talk about misinterpteting. All I'm saying is that most ppl aren't really likely to know what distortion looks like, so that lends itself to allowing you to almost make it up.

Gentle Fury
02-23-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by jwmoebius
So you suggest that no one with a better memory than me will ever watch the stuff I create? That's a pretty harsh judgment ...
Maybe someone with a strive for authenticity will have another suggestion?

Think you need to not take things so personally......i understood what they meant. Just because you want it to look exactly as it should....doesn't mean its necessary....take some creative license. If its been so long that you cant remember exactly how it would look, that means that most everyone is in the same boat. Do something that looks like you think it should, and everyone will get the point.

If thats not good enough for ya, go to a pawn shop and buy an old tv.

jwmoebius
02-23-2004, 08:08 AM
I didn't take it personal at all. I just figured the internet is full of page long discussions about how to make dv look like film, with tons of people taking it to a scientific level, that there could be someone with the same enthusiasm about dv to crappy old tv. After all this effect does get used sometimes in movies i.e. to simulate a surveillance cam. Anyway, I found out it's all about a good displacement map and the right timing to the sound (which is really important ...)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.