PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to batch render the render view?

thrasherstudios
02-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I am having problems with Maya's batch renderer, and I remember reading somewhere that there is a utility or mel script out there that will batch render to the render view inside Maya.

I was just wondering if anyone remembers seeing something like this and could point me in the right direction

Here is the problem I am having:

I am rendering a shadow pass with the dirtmap utility, I have my model set to a render layer with renderable turned off, so all I get is the dirt map shadow pass. Anyways, when I render the scene out in render view it works just fine. However when I try and batch render the scene the model shows up in the render. I don't understand why one would work and the other wouldn't but there it is.

Thanks in advance

lazzhar
02-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi Ben

The layer manager of Maya seems really buggy when you use Mental Ray. That's what I've seen many times. and quote me if I'm wrong guys.

As a quick workaround, uncheck Primary Visibility from your model so it wont be visible any rendering.

Or try to delete all layers and create them from scratch.

Good luck ;)

thrasherstudios
02-16-2004, 09:50 PM
whats up Lazhar...thanks for the tip ;)

How are things going in Algeria..good I hope. I will try that and let you know

thrasherstudios
02-16-2004, 10:04 PM
well turning off primary visibility did the trick...I was wondering what is the difference between turning off primary visibility and using render layers
thanks agian Lazhar for the help...the project is coming along nicely by the way :beer:

alivegy
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
I've gotten render layers to work in mental ray by organizing my grouping. For instance, if two objects are part of the same group or are in a parent child relaitonship they can't be on two seperate render layers. So if you divvy things up into seperate layers and groups, you should be able to render the scene with shadows, but without the objects of the hidden render layers.

If this doesn't make sense ill try to explain it again, but it's been working well for me. The primary visibility trick works well with this as well.

lazzhar
02-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Happy things is going good for you Ben.

For me it really sucks :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.