PDA

View Full Version : mental ray global surface approximation

romeu
02-16-2004, 03:02 PM
hi, i hope that someone can help me on this one.

iīm tring to batch render a scene with some objects made in nurbs and, for a better tessalation iīm using a node of MR surf. approx. in the globals settings overrides tessellation.

itīs working fine when i just render it, but when i batch render it for an animation... i get this in the mayaRenderLog.txt:

Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : derive mental ray global approximation settings from Maya

and all my nurbs lose the settings of the MR surf. Approx. and apear to have a realy low tessellation...:cry:

how can i overide the tessellation on a batch render?

donīt know if i explained it well, but if you got any idea...

please help me!!!

atzfratz
02-16-2004, 03:56 PM
does it work for you if you assign the surface approximation by hand.
its under windows-rendering-mental ray- approximation editor i think.
There you can make approximations for single surfaces. if that works i can give you my script to assign multiple surfaces at once.

romeu
02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
thankīs atzfratz, the script would be a great help, cause itīs exactly what i was doing right now, assigning 1 by 1 to all the nurbs surf... but i have a lot of them :surprised

donīt know why but if i assigned to the object it works...

if you could email-me (romeu_romeo@hotmail.com) or post a link to your script... it would be a real time-killer

thanks a lot...

atzfratz
02-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Its very basic, so heres how it works

-Open up the approximation editor
-Create a new approximation
-Then Select all Surfaces, selecting groups is enough BUT the last selection must be a nurbs surface. (you could simply create a nurbssphere and delete it later when you have grouped everything nice)
-Then select the Approximation in the Approximation Editor and execute the script.

You can open the script editor to see the progress but it should not take long. hope it helps :) if you have problems let me know.

romeu
02-16-2004, 05:06 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! atzfratz

:beer:

it is just perfect..... i have to learn how to wright scripts...

atzfratz
02-16-2004, 05:19 PM
this is mostly copy and paste from the script editor :)

NUKE-CG
02-17-2004, 03:27 AM
Use RenderView Extension 1.2

http://www.highend3d.com/files/dl.3d?group=melscripts&file_loc=RenderView_extension_1-v1.2-.2.zip&file_id=2132

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.