PDA

View Full Version : Make polygon of pointcloud?

Subscream
02-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Hi

Problem 1a
If I have three coordinates how do I construct a polygon object out of that. I guess I could use the make polygon object tool
but that dosen't seem like very clean solution.

Problem 1b
Now .. if we take this further. Lets say we have a bunch of points and want to make a polygonal object out of that
How do we approch this. Mel or API ??

Suggestions please

regards Joel

stallion151
02-17-2004, 06:59 AM
i think Alexx here has a script on highend which does that, from paint particles it creates a polygon mesh from the co-ordinates in a crazy order. i believe its only tri's though.
called particleDeformationPoly v1.0::

alexx
02-17-2004, 08:03 AM
hey,

i dont think that is what you really need.
as i understand you, you want to generate a surface from the point cloud that you have (with a result more or less like from a blobby surface?).

i thought about something like that as well, but i think it is a bit too complicated for me :)

anyway if you need it:

particleDeformationPoly (http://bigott.gmxhome.de/scripts/ParticleDeformationObject/particleDeformationPoly.mel )
(very old and never reworked)

Subscream
02-17-2004, 08:20 AM
thanks guys ..

and yes Alexx that's exactly what I'm after. I don't have any project that demands this type of solution but it would be great
to solve this because that would open a lot of doors.

Hmm .. My guess is that this is not something that you would do with Mel ( though it would be alot simpler )

The problem when going through a point cloud is how do you go through every point and in what order

any ideas?

alexx
02-17-2004, 08:23 AM
i think there are some siggraph papaers about topics like that..

basic idea without reading them would be going from top to bottom and then sorting them by the extend in X and Z to create the propper polies..
but i never did any kind of scripts like that so im a complete noob though.

cheers

alexx

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.