PDA

View Full Version : A quick skinning question for all you experts.

Vidar3d
02-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Ok. here is the scenario, I have been supplied by a client with a model to rig. The model comes on three layers. I have a bone structure, the muscle structure, and then a skin layer. I believe this is a model from the old Max ACT CG Human plugin that has been exported as an OBJ and then imported into maya.

Anyway, I have made a rig, the skeleton and the muscle structure are skinned an weighted but I am having a real hard time getting the final "skin" layer to skin properly. The Muscle and Skeletal elements were all seperate polygons so I had a lot more control in binding and weighting the indivudal pieces to their appropriate joints on the rig.

What I was wondering, is if there was a way I could just assign the skin texture to be manipulated by the muscle or skeletal structure. I have heard some talk of using Wrap Deforms to accomplish this but, I am pretty new to the whole rigging game and was wondering if there was an easy solution to the problem or if I am just going to have to bind the skin element to the rig and go through the brutal process of painting weights.

Basically I am sooooo tired of painting weights at this point, that I am wondering if I am missing an easier alternative.

Thanks in advance to what I hope will be an absolute deluge of information, tips, tutorials and secrect binding techniques. :)

swag
02-16-2004, 11:46 PM
a real muscle setup is hard and much work - there is a plugin on highend you can checkout - i think ist much easier to go the old way paint weighting - influence obj - blendshape to controll the skinning

good luck

Vidar3d
02-17-2004, 01:39 AM
thanks for your reply. doh! I guess its back to painting weights for me.

MikeRhone
02-17-2004, 02:06 AM
Swag: mind if I ask what plugin you are talking about specifically?

mike R

swag
02-17-2004, 02:55 AM
oh sorry here is a link

musculo v0.4
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/plugins/?section=animation#2400

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.