PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Material

oziris
06-30-2002, 05:57 PM
How do I make a plastic material (like this one: http://www.the3dstudio.com/images/gal/129_ful.jpg) in 3dsmax?

I've been trying for over a year now, still haven't found it. Can't find any tuts. so was thinking that maybe you would know it...

Thanks in advance.

leigh
07-01-2002, 07:54 AM
Ah that's easy!
:p

- Right, you are going to have to use a Raytrace material for this. You have to use this because their are certain properties that plastic like this needs, that are not supported by the standard material types :)

- Ok, firstly make your surface 2 sided (in Max, I think you have just a little box that you tick for that, next to the shading options) By 2 sided, I mean so that you can see it from the inside and the outside - and not the way objects usually are, in that you can only see them from the one side.. I'm not sure how to describe this... Ummm.... I hope you understand what I mean :p

- Now, because the object is transparent, and has reflection, you will need to take down it's diffusion amount. Not all the way though - most transparent surfaces do have 0% because they have no colour, but because this does, it means you have to leave it with some diffusion. (And I'm referring to the Diffusion not Diffuse setting ;)

- Then, crank up your gloss setting and make your spec setting pretty high too - try using 150% for spec, and 80% for gloss as a starting point.

- Use transparency not opacity! I know you can use transparency in Max if you use the Raytrace material type. If you look at this plastic, it obviously has quite a high transparency - about 90%.

- Then, give it some refraction. This plastic has quite a high refraction - try starting it at about 1.2. Now, because you've made the material double-sided, you'll get nice refraction :)

- Next, give it some reflection. Not too much! Also, use Fresnel reflection if Max has it - that ensures that the reflection/angle relationship is correct, according to the Fresnel effect. Play with the IOR setting until it looks right (I can't give you a suggestion for that, because I have no idea how Max uses IOR)

Ummm this should give you a good start on the plastic - from here, you should be able to tweak it until it looks like the reference... Good luck!

oziris
07-01-2002, 08:15 AM
Leigh, you're my hero!

*How do you call a feminine hero?*

leigh
07-01-2002, 08:21 AM
hehehe it's called a heroine :p
BTW, be sure to post your results here! Maybe you could then write a tutorial of how you did it, so that others who want to make this can have a tutorial!

oziris
07-01-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks Leigh, I'll try that.

I'm trying to remake the egg (originally made in Softimage).

I'll post the result here!

oziris
07-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Hmmm, it's plastic allright. But it doesn't look like the egg at all...

leigh
07-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Ok, here is what I got.
I know it looks a bit strange, but if you apply this surface that shape, it should look right...

Here are the settings (I did it in Lightwave)

COLOUR - R 70 G 140 B 235
- for the colour map I used a gradient which works with the incidence angle of the light. I used this to control the colour of the darker areas, so that the "shadow" bits would be the right shade of blue.

Diffuse - 80% (no map used here)

Specularity - 150%

Glossiness - 80%

Reflection - 12%

Transparency 90%

Refraction Index - 1.0

Color Filter - 100%

Diffuse Sharpness - 100%

And I used a Fresnel shader to control the IOR of the reflections and transparency:
Minimum Glancing Angle - 12
Reflectivity -50%
Tranparency - 50%

oziris
07-01-2002, 06:59 PM
Doesn't work for MAX :scream: :surprised :annoyed:

leigh
07-02-2002, 07:57 AM
:surprised

What part of it doesn't work??
What does your one look like?

oziris
07-02-2002, 10:36 AM
Well, umm: It looks grey. MAX doesn't have a couple of options you say...

leigh
07-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Which options doesn't it have?
I had a look at a screenshot of the Raytrace material options, and it seemed that this would work?
I'm sure, that even if they go by different names, Max does have the same options? :surprised

oziris
07-02-2002, 11:03 AM
Things like 'transparency' and all are located at 'maps' so you HAVE TO choose a map. And that changes to whole texture. I chose output and it still doesn't work.

leigh
07-02-2002, 11:09 AM
Aha!
But then why don't you just work with that, and, for instance in the case of transparency which needs to be 90%, make an image that is 90& grey and use that!

oziris
07-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Holy shit. That's gonna be a lot of work :D

Anyway. I'll try.

leigh
07-02-2002, 11:23 AM
:thumbsup:
Yeah, it will be a lot of work, but if it works properly, then it'll be worth it ;)
Sometimes you just have to figure out cunning ways of doing things....

sinistergfx
07-02-2002, 06:35 PM
Here's a little trick for the properties that absolutely require a map:

Use a procedural like noise, checker, gradient, etc., but use the same color for both parts of the procedural. Now you don't have to actually make maps for just a solid color.

oziris
07-02-2002, 06:46 PM
Never thought of that before. I'm going to try it right now. :)

See ya guys.

illuxon
03-11-2003, 06:27 PM
hey another thing that i do is to use the noise map and pull either the high value to nearly zero to get the color in the top slot or by tweaking the low value to nearly one to use the bottom color slot.

Tamseel Alvi

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.