PDA

View Full Version : basic locator/ik setup

nuabudikae
02-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I found a tutorial http://web.alfredstate.edu/ciat/tutorials/SkeletonSetup.htm
that basically says in order to prevent my leg from flipping, i have to turn the leg's ik's pole vector in toward the pelvis. That's all good.
But later it tells me to put a locator behind the leg and constrain it to the pole vector. The pole vector automatically orients itself to the locator so the turning i did previously is pointless.
Does the pole vector always orient to the locator when you constrain? And is the turning step necessary?
Also, the pole vector (without doing any rotating) is facing forward originally, is there any way to face it backward so my leg doesn't turn when i constrain? or do i just have to put the locator in front of the leg?

Buexe
02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
I haven`t read the tutorial, but basically a poleVector constrain target object does not necessarily have to be behind your leg, in front should be ok. Depends what happens next in the tut.
cheers
buexe

nuabudikae
02-15-2004, 07:09 PM
so does that mean that if i wanted the locator to be in front of the leg for organizational purposes theres no way i can do it at this point?

Buexe
02-15-2004, 09:18 PM
It is completely ok to put them in front of the leg. Think of the leg as a triangle (the line from the hip to the foot is the baseline), your knee should have a certain angle so that Maya knows in which way your knee is supposed to bend, the direction in which your triangle points, should be the direction where you put your poleVector locators. The way I do it for arms is to put them to the back of the character and for legs I put them in front.
Just try it and you will see what I mean
hope this helps
buexe

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.