PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce SoftImage?

dark_lotus
06-30-2002, 05:51 PM
How does one pronounce softimage?

Cman
06-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Non of the above.
I pronounce it:

soft imaage ("a" prounce as in "spa")

Joril
06-30-2002, 06:14 PM
soft imaage
A la Franįais?

I pronounce it like the first one, just the two words merged together, soft-image.

lol @ softi-mage and sof-tim-age :D

3dflasher
06-30-2002, 06:15 PM
none of the above are right. It's a french word. Cman is right. But I would say its closer to the sound in "Lodge"

"SOFT IMODGE".

Dont pronounce it like you would in English or else you will get negative respect points :shame:

electropulse
06-30-2002, 06:41 PM
for some reason when I think softimage I think of ppl drinking tea a cafe' but, when I think of newtek I'm thinking hardrock cafe.
:beer: :airguitar

btw, in 1997 I had a demo cd from softimage and the creator iirc pronouced it as: soft-e-maige(he said it with mucho arrogance!)

arvid
06-30-2002, 06:53 PM
"Softimasch"

With a bit of a french accent.

..and please, no capital I in the name,
just Softimage.

wmendez
06-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Im with Opacity:buttrock:

AJ
06-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Yep - it's like "Soft-im-marsh" - but more like the the sound from pronouncing mah-jong (sp?).

Bradf0rd010
06-30-2002, 10:11 PM
So far cman said it best, although I would say a better phonetic spelling would be
soft-im-ahhge
and I'm basing this on the pronunciation by all our lecturers in my time at uni and the trainer who visited for a seminar who had worked at Avid, been a beta tester, and was now a commercial tutor.

machuc
06-30-2002, 10:15 PM
for ur listening pleasure...

it still lacks a little bit of "french" accent tho :)

http://www.softimage.com/Products/Xsi/v2/media/vid_low/2.htm

ciao!

Wizard of Oz
06-30-2002, 10:19 PM
but if itīs a french word, why is it decomposed as Soft image??
couldnīt it be because itīs originaly an english word pronounced in a french accent because of itīs creator??

arvid
06-30-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Wizard of Oz
but if itīs a french word, why is it decomposed as Soft image??
couldnīt it be because itīs originaly an english word pronounced in a french accent because of itīs creator??

It's not "decomposed" :) You write it "Softimage" as one word, the creators are from Canada so they speak english and french, Soft doesn't really mean anything in french, but I think it's just a name in english, pronounced by the canadian-french-speaking founder and he said "Softimasch" and that's what it's been called ever since.

:wip:

arvid
06-30-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 3dflasher
none of the above are right. It's a french word. Cman is right. But I would say its closer to the sound in "Lodge"

"SOFT IMODGE".

Dont pronounce it like you would in English or else you will get negative respect points :shame:

heheheh no sorry, way off :p

You gotta say it MUCH softer, there's no trace of a D.

just a "ssssshhhhh" sort of sound

softimmasshhh

ilasolomon
06-30-2002, 11:39 PM
just refer to the softimage's demo real & listen to the
Pronunciation!

visualboo
07-01-2002, 03:56 AM
I pronounce it like the things we all make on our respective puters. "Dood, check this totally gnarly "image" I made today" :D hehe

Softimage.... think about it that way... makes sence huh.

I just think that they pronouce it like that cause they DID and DO have an accent. If you live in america I think it should be "image".

:buttrock: :airguitar

I also think it sounds too..... uppity the way they pronounce it. :D

bai bai

antongranik
07-03-2002, 04:56 PM
pronounce the subject. But another question is how it's being translated? :D If it's a French word then maybe it's got another translation than "soft image"...

arvid
07-03-2002, 05:28 PM
nope, its not a french word, just pronounced in french

Jimzip
07-17-2002, 01:22 AM
I believe that although 'SoftImache' (French pronunciation), may be what it sounds like in French, it could possibly be just plain "Soft Image"?!!?
Not that it really matters in the end..

Anyway, there's my two cents.
Thanks for your company.
Jimzip:rolleyes:

Zafoo
07-17-2002, 09:25 AM
The way I look at it, it's been pronounced with the accent for so long, that that is now it's official pronounciation. If you watch any of the videos from SI, they pronouce it with the accent even if they are American.

As for the translation, (this is opinion here of course) It's just the combination of the words Soft and Image. Because it is "Imaging Software" Who said it needs an actual translation? I doubt other applications need a litteral translation, so why should SI?

Jimzip
07-17-2002, 12:40 PM
My mistake. Oh well, French is classy anyway!:thumbsup:

Jimzip

minus
07-18-2002, 04:11 AM
Hmm I see nothing confusing with how it is spelt.... so it's very straight forward for me. -- The idea that I would take in the nationality of the originator when saying the word over again seems silly to me. --- The word is a very exact and correct spelling of the two English words Soft and Image. To call it Soft Image is natural for me and it is sexy. -- The French seem silly... and so does the french pronounciation of this word.. :D

Zafoo
07-18-2002, 04:53 AM
Then explain why everyone (including Americans) at the company pronounce it with the accent.

minus
07-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Well.. they pronounce it that way because they want to ... with all their own individual reasons about why they do it. -- That's fine... but there is nothing about the spelling that says it would be pronounced that way... so I'm not going for it. -- At least not when it is so obviously 2 English words that exist. -- If french people try saying the words... it will sound how you guys say it... but if English say the words... it will probably sound different.... unless they conciously try to mimic how the french say it.... which is silly.

Even though my name is spelt minus .... it really is pronounced "ro'k star" . --- As it's originator of the word... I make it soo...... nevermind it's also an english word that already exists. :)

Olicam
08-01-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm french .. and i pronounce soft'immage ... I think it's not a french word.. it's simply SOFTware IMAGE in english.. And i think the good pronounciation is with the french accent.. because the canada is the origin.. . Listen all amaricans peoples.. they pronounce with the french accent ( not very well but.. ) ...

Olicam.

CitizenVertex
08-03-2002, 02:23 PM
According to a guy I once worked with the correct pronunciation is actually:

sôft gär-bäzh':D

Crode
08-04-2002, 06:40 PM
lol this thread has made me laugh. Even though there are not many french canadians in western canada (and i dont speak much french) everyone in my classes still pronounce it with the french accent. Our instuctor also was French Canadian, his name was Tomas but we all pronounced it like THomas :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.