PDA

View Full Version : texturing issues: velvet

Breuer
02-15-2004, 02:20 AM
Hi guys.

Im workin on a new character these days and dressing him up. I want to give him a velvet top, but having trouble acheiving any decent results. Anyone got any good tips on how to achieve a velvet look natively in LW. I could use plugins, but im running a mac so the options aren't that many.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone has got any tips.

breuer

roguenroll
02-15-2004, 02:40 AM
i think happy digital has a velvet shader they have for free on their site.

edit

http://www.happy-digital.com/freebies/velvet.html

Hey, Edinburgh. I have the whole family crew in from Broxburn this week. They just bought a winter house here in Florida.

SplineGod
02-15-2004, 06:00 AM
Gradients in the color and diffuse channels with the input parameter set to incident angle.
Also adding a tiny bit of inverse crumple set to inverse helps.Set the scale to something in the mm range.

Jimzip
02-15-2004, 07:37 AM
I've also heard that setting the specularity to negative values can achieve a very velvety look.

Jimzip :D

dark_lotus
02-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Incident Gradients are very helpfull here, dagnamit where's that texturing goddess when you need her!? (deities these days ;) - sheesh )

gerardo
02-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi Breuer,
I achieved this with the plug that recommends you roguenroll, I also added something of micro-crumple like well Larry says, but I didn't use gradients in difuse or color, I suppose than that would improve the effect.

http://www.geocities.com/gerardstrada/Arlequin.jpg

Gerardo

Breuer
02-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks a million guys. I'll try those techniques straight away.

Rougenroll: well, there sadly only seems to be an intel version for that plug, but thanks still. Scotland - california? ohh thats one hell of a contrast hehe... wish it was me, I could use some tanning:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.