PDA

View Full Version : Learn how to use photoshop ?

Sky_DaBomB
02-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Im 16 ! i can draw pretty good...but I also want to learn how to use photoshop to paint :cry:
Does anyone know any DVD that can help me to learn photoshop ?
I know nothing about photoshop.
I have photoshop in my computer and also i just bought a wacom.
Help me out ! any DVDs ?
:shrug:
Thank you !

Matt
02-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Snarllll, ahhh fresh meat!

Teach yourself bro. That's how most of us did it. I think tutorials and training is absolute garbage because you're learning what someone else believes is the best way to do something.

It's like making a copy of a copy. Eventually the end result is so bad, it's nothing like what it could be if you were the original. Understand?

After a years of becoming familiar with it, then maybe you should look at what your peers are doing and how they do it. I didn't bother to look at how others work for six years, and when I saw I was delightfully satisfied that my methods were faster, at least for me.

There are infinite ways of achieving the same result in Photoshop, find the way that works best for you. Don't let some clown on a video tell you how to do it.

Spritemare
02-15-2004, 10:22 PM
This is my favorite tutorial of all time:

http://www.renderosity.com/tut.ez?Form.ViewPages=519

I think that if you read through it, you'll get a roundabout idea on how this stuff gets done.

I learned Photoshop via the "sink or swim" method at my first job. It's pretty easy to learn once you get a hang of the tools. Making really impressive stuff is what makes or breaks you though. Scan some of your drawings (or use your tablet) and get into photo painting!

Sky_DaBomB
02-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks all you guys ! I think the same way too.....Nobody teachs me how to draw, but i still draw well....why dont i do the same way ! I think first i will learn how to use all the tools and i will learn it by myself.....i will find my own style. It's the best way ! Hope when im 20, i will be able to paint some of my pictures with photoshop.
Here some of my picture i draw.

Sky_DaBomB
02-17-2004, 07:38 AM
:blush: one more,

Spritemare
02-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Great job. It shouldnt take you long until you start digitally painting like a pro. The smudge tool is your friend :cool:

fretshredder
02-17-2004, 04:29 PM
no doubt! Your drawing skills are pretty darned good (much better than I can do that's for sure). learning Photoshop will not be _overly_ difficult. It's just a matter of jumping in an fiddling around, ...and have patience I guess.

Can't wait to see that second drawing colored :thumbsup:

-gz-

Dickigeeza
02-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi there,

If you are using a wacom with pen, stick a sheet of paper over the tablet surface and draw on that. The friction between the pen tip and the paper feels is a lot more like pencil to paper, much nicer than all that skidding around on plastic surfaces!

I got this tip form a fellow forum member so hope he/she doesnt mind me passing it along. It improved my drawing accuracy x10 instantly - no more scanning bits of paper LOL

Rich

Sky_DaBomB
02-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Thanks Rich ! Put a paper over the plastic surface of the wacom...woa....i feel much more confident ! Just like drawing in a paper.:buttrock:

Dickigeeza
02-18-2004, 06:52 PM
you welcome,

just passing a great idea along.

Now all we need is for Wacom to come up with a size 6 round camel hair tip for the pen. lol.

Rich

PS use masking tape to hold the paper in place & go create some digital art.

DirtySkillet
02-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Damn wacom users!!!!!!

Well, Iv been usin the old mouse for my photoshop endevors...

PS is fun, use the burn and dodge tools, awsome shading!!

Spritemare
02-19-2004, 02:33 PM
quick question about the wacom, I'm trying to understand how it works...do you move the stylus around the tablet to move the mouse, and press some kind of button to do freehand drawing?

Sky_DaBomB
02-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Yes, you use it like a mouse, it has right and left click just like a mouse has. But it's not very easy though. It take for a while to get used to it.
My drawing is nothing to do with a wacom. They are hand drawing.....i use graphic, charcoal, and carbon pencils to draw. Im just learing digital painting now, and it is easier if you have a wacom.
Thanks to Spritemare ! The site you gave me are great ! I made some friend in there. They are teaching me. You will see my first painting soon.:thumbsup:

WGerick
02-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Okay. After buying the wacom, I hope you still have some money left. If so: Look at the DVDs at

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/videos.html

Their "analog" section is amazing. Awesome art! Creating an advanced digitial painting, starting with a blank page.
However for most of their DVD they use Corel Painter, but the techniques should be quite similar to photoshop. Except for the Corel color blending options, which you should be able to recreate using the smudge tool.

But all of them are quite advanced and maybe hard to follow if you really know nothing about photoshop or Corel Painter. If you are looking for an introduction to photoshop, the good news is there are several hours in the download section of

http://www.3dbuzz.com

5 hours of pure Photoshop introduction. With audio explaining everything.

Bad news: Just a couple days ago they extended thier minimum requirements for downloading their videos. You now have to get a star to download and therefor be active in their forum.

Good news: They will send you this "VTMs" on CD per mail. I think for free, or maybe just the sending fee even without a star.

Hope this helps.

batavia
02-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Snarllll, ahhh fresh meat!

Teach yourself bro. That's how most of us did it. I think tutorials and training is absolute garbage because you're learning what someone else believes is the best way to do something.

There are infinite ways of achieving the same result in Photoshop, find the way that works best for you. Don't let some clown on a video tell you how to do it.

I don't think you should disregard tutorials/videos for learning tools. Especially if someone is really new at someting, like this guy in photoshop. I'm learning real oil painting, and it's helpful to see how the experts do it. I'm not saying to wholly imitate the style, but just to get the general techniques. After I learn the general techniques I can develop a style.

mamurphy
02-22-2004, 03:07 AM
I've been using PS since version 4.

About 2 months ago, just for fun, I started watching the Total Training DVDs for PS.

While I knew most of what was being covered, I found them to be very well done, very informative, and an excellent resource for anyone wanting to learn the ins-and-outs of PS.

BTW-Outstanding drawing skills. I look forward to your future posts here at CGTalk!:thumbsup:

Sky_DaBomB
02-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Thank you everyone !:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.