PDA

View Full Version : GBA Development Question

Onions
02-14-2004, 09:38 PM
I was wanting to know where I could find guidelines for developing a game for the GBA.

Although I'm not a programmer (I am looking for one though) I am an artist, and I would like to know the limitations of the system. Such as how many colors can be displayed, 3D graphics capabilities, etc. As much info as I can gather basically.

I've also been searching for a programming, willing and capable, to work with me on a game project. But as of yet - nothing. It seems programmers are hard to find (or working on too much other stuff).

:bounce: <-- That right there is a good representation of me (for the past year or so). Yet I've found no one with the drive to make something. I've worked for hire on other projects and have finished them, so I would guess that's a show of dedication on my part. If any of you think you'd like to work on a GBA game, and feel you are dedicated to finishing something, then please contact me at nickbusby@dcnhub.com

You can see some of my work and past games here on my site...
http://nickbusby.dcnhub.com

Thanks, and any info I can find for the GBA is appreciated too.

jfelrod1960
02-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Why did you choose to go with GBA as opposed to N-Gage, or mobile technology? That seems to be what's popular although it has not reach the popularity of a home game console. Good luck with your project! :thumbsup:

Onions
02-14-2004, 10:55 PM
That's a good question.

I chose the GBA because it's more recognizable than the N Gage and able to do more with than a mobile phone game.

So I think it would get to a larger audience (something N Gage isn't at right now), in the form that I want it to be in (something mobile games can't handle), and also have a good impact on my resume if published.

rendermaniac
02-15-2004, 12:53 AM
It might be easier developing for mobiles/Ngage as I think they are programmed in Java. Game Boy (I think - may be wrong here), uses C/C++ and you have to program a lot of the hardware yourself. Mobile devices may be a little more limitted, but would be far easier to program.

Again though I may be completely wrong as this is pretty much the exact opposite end of the scale to what I do.

Simon

Onions
02-15-2004, 03:49 AM
You are correct about the GBA using C++. The programmer I'd want would have to know this and possibly know where to find a dev kit for the GBA. I've seen some around the internet, but I'm not sure which is best to use, so I'd just leave that up to the programmer to pick.

And too, I don't even know if a dev kit is needed, or would just help, in the programming (as I know very little about the subject).

jfelrod1960
02-15-2004, 06:47 AM
You can use the Java programming language in the J2ME environment to develop games for N-gage. But most of the games purchase over the counter for N-gage are written in C++. N-gage and other mobiles uses the Symbian 6.1 OS and for developing games use the Symbian C++ API.

GBA has been out for a while and by the time you have a game on the market, mobile technology would have improved and the mobile game industry as well. You may want to take a second look at systems like N-gage. You may find a programmer who is willing to try out this new venture. :hmm:

Onions
02-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, I guess if I could accomplish what I had in mind without using C++ as code, then I wouldn't mind. But if I did go this way I'd try making it for the N-Gage, because I think it still allows for more than any mobile phone game (although the N Gage is basically one it's still made more for games).

Jhavna
02-16-2004, 12:56 PM
actually own the full dev kit for a GBA.
I'm short on spare time at the moment, so I won't offer to do any code for you, but I will give you the resources you need to get someone else versed in C++ onto the project.

You will need:
- A compiler. I use Visual Studio, although you can get free ones. If you get Visual Studio, you can even get a wizard which creates a program template for GBAs. I recommend http://devkitadv.sourceforge.net/
- A GBA or even just an emulator (emulator is better, as some allow you to debug your apps)
- If you have a GBA you may want to get a flash linker from http://www.success-hk.com . i got mine from Lik-Sang, but they stopped selling them cos Ninty started getting anxious that people are using the hardware to copy games...
- Knowledge of the GBA hardware etc...

You can read and learn everything you need to know from here:
www.gbadev.org
http://www.thepernproject.com/index2.htm
http://www.goldshlag.com/josh/gba/devtools.html
and there's articles on www.gamedev.net too...

Happy reading

Onions
02-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks so much for the post and links. :)

From what I see in the first link, there's even a message board geared towards GBA development. :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.