PDA

View Full Version : 3D Lattice like for Photoshop?

lazzhar
02-14-2004, 10:34 PM
I just wonder if there is a tool like the lattice known in 3D Packages like Maya and XSI (FFD in Max I guess) to manipulate a picture in Photoshop?

I want that i have a grid with control points to deform my picture.

Thanks

Ian Jones
02-15-2004, 02:25 AM
Yes and no. The Liquify tool comes pretty close to what you want, allowing you to see a grid, but only manipulate it with brushes. The tool your looking for is something which users have been asking adobe to implement for years now, why haven't they? who knows... I am amazed that a piece of software claimed to be the best image manipulation tool in the world (ok, so it still is) doesn't have such a tool.

It makes me extremely bewildered that silly new things like the filter gallery are made, yet a 'Bezier Grid Distortion' tool has not been made. It's pretty unbelieveable hey? and it gets worse... because Adobe After Effects actually has this tool, and its animatable. This makes me wonder why, if it has been done in After Effects then why can't they put it in Photoshop! Well, I guess it will remain a mystery. Until they do get off their ass and fix this user request, you'll have to look at other software for this specific task or you'll have to buy After Effects (Gee, I wonder if this is a marketing ploy to get us to buy more software?!!! lol).

Streetgrime
02-15-2004, 02:51 AM
Hey lazzhar,

I had this same damn problem a lil while ago at work... I dont know about Xsi .. but in 3dsmax .. AND Maya they both have FFD type tools...

Sooo...

I took my image.. Mapped it onto a BOX that I subdivided the HECK out of... then I applied a FFD to THAT... and when I Distorted the image to my satisfaction.. I simply rendered it out... and brought it back into Photoshop.

I know that its Somewhat of a Grafx SIN to take it into a 3d program to do that.. then simply render it back out... but I was doing this on a low-res image.. so I wasnt concerned with image degredation(sp?) or anything like that.

Not to mention I photoshopped it after that again anyway.

hope that helps..

Ikarus
02-15-2004, 04:44 AM
Like Ian said you can try and use "Liquify" to try and get the results your going after, but it's not the same as having a grid and being able to distort it point by point by using bezeir curves. In a way I find "Liquify" good for what it does, there are only certain instances I wish I had a grid type of deformation with points and curves.

Alot of programs are able to do this like AE, Digital Fusion, Illustrator, Flash, etc. Although Flash and Illustrator don't handle bitmaps, only vector shapes. Which makes you wonder why adobe hasn't made it part of "Liquify" already. There is one plugin for photoshop that does grid deformation, I don't remember the exact name or website though :hmm:. Try searching adobe's site for plugins or google and you might be able to find it.

lazzhar
02-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Waw !! all this feedback for my first post in this section !! thanks guys, i thought i'm the only who's asking this feature but i'm happy i'm not alone :)

I often use my 3D Program (Maya) for that, but it's a pain to open a program that takes time to load and eat all my memory just to destort my picture a little bit.
I'm using Combustion too, hope this feature is availbe there.

Thanks again.

rubberduck
02-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi,

The plugin you need is called Squizz by Humansoftware.

Squizz (http://www.humansoftware.com/pages1200/Squizz/HSsquizz11.html)

I've been using it for years, I needed the facility when I stopped using Barco Creator which had a kick ass warp tool and Photoshop didin't.

I'm still using version three and haven't checked out the lastest version (4.4) .

Hope it helps though.

M.

lazzhar
02-15-2004, 10:15 AM
rubberduck thanks, this is my tool.

rubberduck
02-15-2004, 10:19 AM
No problem Lazzhar,

One tip, Distort any item before you cut them out as if you distort them after they have transparent edges they some times pixelate.

M.

batavia
02-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I guess Adobe people just want to save goody tools like that for promoting later updates.

halo
02-15-2004, 04:48 PM
dunno about that, people have been screaming at them to sort it for about the last 4 versions....PS's development is getting lazy, CS is an improvement, but they still have way to go to get back to the golden years...

TheWriter
02-15-2004, 10:44 PM
It is a matter of ethics. If they implemented these badly needed features, then the competition would be totaly blown away. How can Adobe live knowing the fact that they put all the members of PSP and Gimp contributers out of business? It's just un-moral!

So cheers to Adobe, for keeping their competitors in the race. Your doing an awfully great job at it!

rubberduck
02-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I personally won't be buying another Photoshop update.

I've been very loyal the last few years and bought updates from version 2 up to 7.

There was always a major leap in functions and speed up until 5.5 and then things started to go down hill rapidly.

The speed and stability difference between Version 5 and 7 is unbelievable, The program just seems to be overloaded with gimmicks IMHO at the cost of everything else.

Lets hope Adobe get back on track and come up with something fantastic as they did from 3 to 4 with layers and adjustment layers, How ever did we work before.

As you can guess I have only PS5 with updates installed on my machine and can't comment on CS as I'm loathed to part with my cash for an update.

M.

Spritemare
02-17-2004, 10:02 PM
^^ this is very true...there have been no worthy reasons to buy upgrades recently (especially with Photoshop CS)

As for that lattice feature, I could only hope Adobe implements this. Corel Draw has this feature, I've seen a few artists use it to paint clothing (which comes out looking great).

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.