PDA

View Full Version : character: SWAT guy for hl2 mod

Wanksta
02-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey ppl I just started a hl2 mod with another guy, I began modelling a swat guy, it's only about 2500 poly's so far.

It's only a wip, just the beginning, made in 1 evening.

http://wanksta.3d-sea.nl/3d/prietmod/wip2.jpg

Plz c&c :)

Wanksta.

Tocki
02-14-2004, 06:21 PM
I think you should work on the proportions of the arms because now the arms look strange! Other than that the Model looks nice but i think a bit too high poly for a model without head! In my opinion you should paint some details with bump maps etc. so that you don't waste too much polys!

Tocki

Wanksta
02-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Tocki, tnx for the reply, it's about 2500 poly's now but remember it's for the hl2 engine, so only a weapon can be even about 3000 poly's, a char at least 7000 (dont know the exactly count though)...

And I did not reduced the poly count yet.. I dont think the poly count is going to be a problem.. The arms are kinda weird indeed... just have to figure out what's wrong ;)

ShortFuseNZ
02-14-2004, 11:36 PM
7000 is the poly count for main characters like Alex or that scientist dude. Because there is only 1 of them them on screen at once. Whereas the combine soilders are more like 4000 cause there could be heaps of them coming for you on screen at once. You gotta think how many of these dudes will there be.

Also the potches on his chest why not detach them, weld the sqaure together thats left and move the pouch into position again. Save you some polys there.

Wanksta
02-14-2004, 11:51 PM
yeah I could do that, and I think I can stay under the 4000 also, I'll set that as the limit, tnx :)

Wanksta
02-15-2004, 01:09 AM
hey I just made the head and some improvements :)

comments?

http://wanksta.3d-sea.nl/3d/prietmod/wip3.jpg

tnx

Wanksta
02-15-2004, 01:30 PM
hey ppl, I improved the head area, any comments?

http://wanksta.3d-sea.nl/3d/prietmod/wip5.jpg

EVIL
02-15-2004, 01:33 PM
WTF, where is his neck! atleast try to be realistic. he wont be able to breath in hartbeating firefights when he has got that thing infront of his mouth and nose. you ever treyed to run with a scarf wrapped around your mouth and nose. It aint a smart idea

try to use human refrences and his thumb is way to thick.

it would be nice for a silly cartoon character but for a hl2 mod? c'mon the engine deserves some way better 3d art. anyway, i hope you will fixx this whole cartoony look and make it alot more believable and think hard in what the character does. if he needs to be fast and stealthy then dont give him a thick armor and loads of belts and stuff but dress him light and visa versa.

Nostradamus
02-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Chill evil :)

maybe they are not trying to be realistic?

Wanksta
02-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey Evil,
I used swat photographs as a reference (like http://digilander.libero.it/truppespeciali/images/USA/swat8.jpg),
you think these guys cannot breath?
And I didnt gave him alot of heavy armor, it just seems liek that cause there are still no folts in the clothes and he's not textured.
Swat ppl have to carry some tools right? So they need the right clothes to do that...

btw, I didn't mean to make his nose covered too, I have to improve the nose so it looks like it's not under it.

(and this is one of my first chars :P)

AdamAtomic
02-15-2004, 02:57 PM
i would definitely consult some human figure references! his hands are ... wrong. the human ring finger is nearly as long as the middle finger, and his first 3 fingers are too short in general. What does he keep in those pouches? If you are designing a SWAT character, think pragmatism! SWAT is about having only what you need at all times. What does he carry that would be useful in those big long pouches across his belly? Obviously not something like a flashlight because then he would not be able to bend at the waist. Think about desired range of motion, and think about location and priority of their tools and items. Also, nearly all SWAT vests are assymetrical, because most SWAT members are not ambidextrous - they're right handed, and that means the vests are designed to accomodate that need. There are already a lot of hi-profile HL2 mods in the works, and if you want to keep up with the rest of the pack, you will need to do some extra homework.

That said, this is pretty damn good for a first character model - just keep at it, and don't give up. The only way you will learn is by doing. Find human figure references (I recommend Hogarth!) and watch some SWAT shows on like History or Discovery channel - get into it! Best of luck!

Wanksta
02-15-2004, 03:07 PM
tnx Adam, that's de kinda of reply I can do something with :D

I heard about hogarth's books, let's check that out, I kinda mad this vest http://www.bulletproofme.com/New%20Images/ProMAX%20SWAT%20-%20Front.jpg,
but I have some ref pics of unsymmetrical vests too now. I'll improve the model as soon as possible, tnx!

AdamAtomic
02-16-2004, 12:31 AM
ah - well, maybe it IS pragmatic then :) I guess the assymetrical ones just look cooler...anyways, glad I could be of some help - good luck!

Wanksta
02-16-2004, 10:21 PM
yo ppl,

I just improved the model on some places:
-the fingers are longer (hand still not totally right though)
-shoes - knees are bettr (less heavy armor)
-little less symmetry
-some other little improvements like proportions and the 'mask'

I'm going to make some more detail in the shoes.

any comments?

http://wanksta.3d-sea.nl/3d/prietmod/wip6.jpg

NinjaNoKa
02-17-2004, 12:39 PM
hold back on the smoothing groups.
And indeed he has no/neck...the characters' chin ends in his chest.

Wanksta
03-03-2004, 11:39 PM
indeed, the neck is still very wrong, just figured out something about it, improvements soon :D

tnx again

TRyanD
03-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Nice work, keep it up.

Gyzer
03-04-2004, 06:17 AM
His arms look upside down to me. In a pose like that his hands should be pointing palms forward. Go to www.3d.sk (3d.sk) and look at some refs for those arms, cause those are all out of wack. Also the head/neck area needs a whole lot of fixing. Good start though, keep up the work.

amola2k
03-20-2004, 06:04 PM
nice one
keep it up :)
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.