PDA

View Full Version : Certified PDF

Okke
02-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Does anybody knows how to create a certified pdf??

bumskee
02-16-2004, 05:09 AM
sorry but just curious what's a certified PDF????

dg
02-16-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm curious too :)

If you are refering to pdf for press, the best option is to transform your .ps (post script) file into a pdf using Distiller that comes with Adobe Acrobat (not the reader) to create a press compatible pdf.
And since when you have Adobe Acrobat installed you have a Adobe Acrobat Printer in your system you can generate pdf files from all applications that supports printing.

A bit more info on what you really want would help.

See ya,
dg

jeroentje
02-21-2004, 09:13 AM
A certified pdf is a pdf that has been checked, using a "checking" profile from the receiver.

Example:
-> You create a newspaper ad in Quarck Xpress, and you make a pdf with Distiller.
-> You open your pdf in a certification programm. Because I see you live in the Netherlands (and so do I), the only available software is from Enfocus. www.enfocus.com
-> You run Enfocus, using the newspaper profile on your pdf and it will check your document.
-> If for instance you still have RGB images, low res images etc. in your pdf it will not be certified, because a newspaper is not printed in RGB etc. and it will cause problems when the newspaper people try to use it. So from your uncertified pdf, the newspaper people will see it has technical mistakes and they will not accept your pdf.

Same goes not only for newspapers, but for all magazines and printing companies in the Netherlands, all with their personal profiles.

Why certified pdf's?
Because over the last years, magazines etc. received open documents to use. With all the mistakes of missing images, missing fonts, RGB images, low res images etc. etc. etc.
Certified pdf makes you deliver them a technically correct document for printing. Offcourse it doesn't prevent you from making typo's or having bad taste in lay-out :D

So the answer to your question:
Buy PitStop from Enfocus.

More info:
http://www.certifiedpdf.net (in Dutch)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.