PDA

View Full Version : Environment/WIP: Dirty Garbage Corner

DiMENSiON
02-13-2004, 08:41 PM
I started on this a couple days ago to practice my texturing and lighting skills, and because I need another portfolio piece to apply to art school. I kept everything low poly as if this scene was to be used for a game. All textures are hand painted. I'm still going to add some more detail. I'm thinking a neon sign, moths, and stuff like that. I'll fix the brick texture so it tiles nicely as well.

Comments and Critiques are appreciated

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/the_burger_king@hotmail.com/garbage_corner.jpg

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/the_burger_king@hotmail.com/garbage_corner_no_textures.jpg

18th_Devil
02-14-2004, 05:11 AM
i think u should make the wall really dirty since it still looks really clean and genearic.
the door can have paint pealing off or something
just overall the scene still looks clean.

as for the lighting it feels like its inside a room. try adding some colored lights in so it looks like its night time or something.

hope this helps

but so far its a good start, it'll be nice to see the whole thing when its finished.

SammyB
02-14-2004, 06:21 AM
Yeah, I second adding more dirt on the wall, especially at the bottom, where it touches the ground. Dirt at the base makes the transition less noticeable. Also, the shadows are pretty sharp, if it was outside with other sources of light (streetlamps, moonlight) I'm guessing they'd be a bit softer...

DiMENSiON
02-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the reply guys! You're definately right about having some more light sources. I have some very dim omnis in the distance, but nothing in terms of street lamps. I'll try toning down the shadows as well. I'll be adding some more dirt as well to everything, especially the wall. I just got back from a daytrip to Vancouver from Saltspring Island (Where I live), and saw a lot of dirty corners, and took lots of mental notes on texture. :)Anyway, I'm exhausted and off to bed. Four hours of ferry rides, and almost 3 on the bus including waiting. Weee! I'll have an update tomorrow.

kleinluka
02-15-2004, 02:48 PM
add some rats or something... More polys to that lamp.. Some graffity on the walls...add alpha transparency to that sign post thing so you don't have those odd looking black holes on the post.

Nice start tho, keep cranking!

DiMENSiON
02-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Hey Dudes

I took all of your comments (all of which were valuable) into account I think. Anyway, here's my current progress. The rats aren't textured, and are just under 500 polies each. I don't like UV mapping, so I'm putting it off until probably tomorrow or the next day. They're not rigged, or in their final positions yet either. I'd like to get them rigged, and animate them. That'd be gnarly :)

My graphiti skills need some work before I go full out painting it everywhere. I still also need to add some cracks, and weathering to the brick wall.

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/the_burger_king@hotmail.com/garbage_corner_3.jpg

C&C appreciated

SammyB
02-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Now that's a definite improvement, the door looks cool, and I love the rat. However the cardboard boxes are still too clean and way to square. Right now they are like perfect cubes, boxes that have been thrown out wouldn't look like that. Maybe add some dents, ripped bits, or faded labels or something.

I'm not so sure about the green on the pavement, a browner colour might look more realistic, or something, lol. :)

kleinluka
02-16-2004, 02:51 PM
the green lighting throws me off.
the rats are cool. Needs more trashy crap though. Like a burning garbagecan or something, some crates ripped open with shit leaking out and all... broken glass on the sidewalk, go crazy.

18th_Devil
02-17-2004, 02:19 AM
its looking a whole lot better :)

i acctually like the green, but thats my opinon.
but i can do with some graffetti on the walls.

its getting there, keep up the good work.

DiMENSiON
03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, this is what I'll call the final product, For now anyway. I'm kinda sick of working on this scene, and I just got a job at a graphics design and printing place, and thus I don't have much spare time. I'm also itchin' to model a spaceship.

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/the_burger_king@hotmail.com/garbage_corner_5.jpg

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it.

Cod
03-02-2004, 09:41 PM
I realize you do not have much time to work on this scene any longer, but the boxes are bothering me. All 3 of the cardboard boxes in the scene are perfectly square with perfect corners. Whenever I see boxes down a dirty alley, they usually look "run-down" from weather errosion, being kicked by kids, etc..

Other than what I mentioned above, I really like the scene. The change in the color of the rat from white to brown was a great addition.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your spaceship!

SammyB
03-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Good to hear you got a job man, hope it works out for you. Now about that spaceship...

jo3
03-03-2004, 06:13 AM
nice work. especially like the dirtier textures.

pseudoBug
03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Definitely a great improvement over the start. Love those rats!

Beastie
03-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Nice job. The only crit I have is the door isnt like a normal door proportionally. I think you should make it skinnier so Its more of an accurate scale size. The "stubbiness" of the door makes me think of a cartoony or clay animation set where the environment isnt quite to scale.
Edit: The place where the sidewalk meets the road is also too geometric. Normally you would see maybe some dirt & debri and cracked edges along that line.

DiMENSiON
03-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Well, I've tried to reply for the last two days, and both times my computer crashed midway, and I got fed up. You know the drill. I've also been busy with work. Work is cool though. They've got me on the printing presses now. I just have to keep my fingers out of the moving bits for six months, then I'm clear. I'm there for around six months then off to college.
Anyway, thanks for your replies, and comments. I'll fix those boxes, however it's hard to make them look good without making them high poly. So, I'm going to make them high poly. I might fix the edges that touch eachother, and probably the edge that meets the road, then I'll call it done. Some crates with shit leaking out, I like that idea. I'll see how much time I have between work, and other things.

Beastie: you're probably right about the accuracy of the door, but I sort of like it big. I'll try to fix where the sidewalk meets the road though.

If any you're interested, my spaceship thread is here
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127811

thanks for all of you comments

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.