PDA

View Full Version : First freelance work question

icedeyes
06-30-2002, 09:19 AM
Well,

First of all I have to say that this is my first freelance job I am working on with some other freelance friends, so please don't be too hard on me. I decided using Softimage in the part of the a music clip for a Greek music artist. My part will be to create a full cg production que for metal hearts. So, the hearts will go through three stages. First a is heatened to give it a reddish color. Then, it will be cut in a heart shape using an animated boolean subtraction. After this, the remaining shape will be squeesed by a presser to give it the heart shape (thought i could do this using softbodies, any ideas are welcome) and finally it woould end up in a place where it would get coloured. This is where I am having a really hard time on. How can a make the color of tha heart change from particle colissions without scripting preferably. Any suggestion would be welcome. The whole thing would end up in a cooler to make the heart piece cool and the produstion que would be full of metal arms and screens that show hearts of diferent colors. I am in a bit of a rush so any help would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Jin3D
06-30-2002, 08:23 PM
Hum I would do the color change in a compositing software, probably the easiest way to go.

Good Luck

Ciao

icedeyes
06-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Thanks Yann. Basically this is a good idea. It can be done from inside xsi too with the fx tree but, because this is a new experience for me and my team and i have some time on our hands we would like to experiment a bit. If any body could give me another solution it would be appriciated. Thanks in advance once again.

Bradf0rd010
06-30-2002, 09:24 PM
Animated texture mapping? / blend several textures using their alphas?
or animated lighting specific to the heart, rendered on a seperate pass?

icedeyes
07-01-2002, 07:13 AM
Thanks guys. But because basically I will use one of the previous suggestions but, because i am getting on some scripting right now, can anyone tell me hoe I can make the difuse color change on an object using particle collisions?? This was quite easy in Maya, I am a former Maya userand all you had to do is connect the particle position, meanning the closer they get the more different the color gets, to the items material difuse. Is there a similar function in XSI where you can connect irrerelevant things. Links with doesn't work. :bounce:

RickW
07-01-2002, 10:55 PM
icedeyes,

I too have come from Maya. I personally don't know if you can change an objects color based on a collision from a particle system collision. If you can not get this working....here's a thought......

Via Code....

You could query the position of your object and define a perimiter....and with some type of conditional (if Then) on the particle system have your object change colors/textures once the particles reach that area?

Then again you could keyframe this visually too.

I'm interested to know which option you choose. I'll keep an eye on this post.

Good Luck!

Vic3k
07-02-2002, 12:03 AM
sure you can do it with particles... i never tried though. but in xsi there are green square everywhere. say you have death event and animation green box near it or some other node. well just link whatever of material you want to the death event by drug and dropping... you know, just like set driven key in maya...

icedeyes
07-04-2002, 09:01 AM
Basically i am using keyframing on the color so far but I am str
arting on the scripting part with the particles but because i am a begginer in xsi scripting i need some help. Any tutorials available. I have used mel, c++ and pascal in the past as programming languages. Thanks guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.