PDA

View Full Version : Particle CLoud Shader

CaptRuss
02-13-2004, 07:57 PM
anyone ever actually use this to generate (for instance) quality smoke and fire?
I mean I've been twiddling it for a couple weeks now, and it seems like an additive white puffy look is all its good for.

I never see anyone talking about the "cook explosion" or "smoke trail" they did in Maya, whereas you get a lot of talk about the model, or rig they've done. Is this just because folks generally turn to Houdini for their natural effects? (or whatever)

Of course, theres almost no documentation on it either, just the raw node references... or am I just not grokking the layout of the new docs?

frustrated, hope someone can lend a hand as we'd like to keep this production all in one Maya.

thanks!

ng23
02-14-2004, 02:51 AM
Yeah, the Maya documentation is rather dry to say the least, getting your head round Mental Ray from the docs is an even bigger ordeal.

Other than the few tutorials on the net that briefly explain, im at a loss to work out WHY some of the things do what they do.:hmm:

Jozvex
02-14-2004, 03:59 AM
People certainly do use Maya particles in their productions. The Particle Cloud shader can be tricky, but you should be able to get all sorts of good results out of it.

To get to the proper help documents on it:

1. Press F1.

2. Click on Shading under the Browse by Subject section.

3. Click on Reference in the side menu.

4. Next go to Nodes.

5. Then Volumetric Materials.

6. Then Particle Cloud.

For some tutorials on using the Particle Cloud shader, have a look at this list:

http://www.learning-maya.com/dynamics.php

Ronald
02-14-2004, 05:40 PM
one thing i found out about the particle cloud shader is, that it is not lit correctly. it seems that the lightningcalculation seems to be done only for the center of the particle, so if the volume of a particle is one half in the light and one half not and the center is also not in the light, the whole particle is not lit!

ronny
k-effects

CaptRuss
02-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the links.

I've got some stuff working, but there seems to be some trouble in 5.1 with the opacity over time style fade outs of the shader.

Not to mention what I'm seeing in the tutorials is less than impressive. (to me) Its not really the look I want at all. I want a more craggy, volumetric, self shadowed look like, well, like real heavy smoke. Think burning tires.

Well, thanks for the help. I think for this task I'll switch aps. and composite.

I love being application ambidextrous!

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.