PDA

View Full Version : Motion Mixer Walk cycle help_IK involved

Sleepless
02-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Newb here... I've got my 36 fr walk cycle done, made with IK and the expressions that go with it but I can't get it to capture the walk cycle in MM. It will record the bones and endomorph motions but not the IK. I've been through the manual but can't get it right. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

SplineGod
02-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Youre probably going to have to bake in the IK :)

Castius
02-13-2004, 11:19 PM
have you got all the items needed for the ik included in the MM actor? I've never had a problem with it.

Sleepless
02-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Spline- I'll try baking it in. Thx. also your tutorial movies are very helpful, interesting approach to modeling a face, gotta give it a try soon.

Castius- I thought I had all the items, bones, objects, nulls but I think the IK is what is not transferring.

Thanks to both of you.

kretin
02-14-2004, 11:21 PM
My guess is that it's the expressions that aren't working, as they can't work with MM motions, so any items that have expressions that rely on the motion of Actor items need to be included in the actor.

If for some reason you are having a problem with IK, just include the IK driven bones in the actor, that'll fix it.

Making a Motion Mixer motion is essentially the same as baking, so by baking first you're just repeating yourself.

SplineGod
02-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Sleepless,
Thanks! :)

Jonathan
02-15-2004, 04:44 PM
One thing I remember about the motion mixer and using IK for a walk cycle is that if the bones were not physcially moved, then there was no data to capture. There has to be keyframe data there in order for MM to have anything to work with. If you are goaling using nulls, capture your nulls instead of your bones and it will work just fine. In the long run however, it will be better to bake the bone positions or the hierarchy.

Remember that moving using IK only keyframes the goals and not the bone positions. I assume this is what's happening here but if I'm wrong, disreguard everything I just posted.

Castius
02-15-2004, 05:39 PM
ok i wanted to see what the problem was. So i made simgle test for myself. expression need to be baked. BUT you also need to remove the exspression after they are baked or MM will cancel them out. Hope this helps.

Scott

Sleepless
02-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help. Finally got it to work. As I said, everything is new to me, each problem is another puzzle, photoshop was so much easier to get comfy with....

I finally figured out how to bake those expressions and that did the trick. Had to remove them as Castius said. Anyhow here's the guy, he's got a multitude of problems that I won't bother fixing but hopefully the next experiment will be better from the ground up. I will continue to attempt animating him because I like torture.

~Sleepless

http://www.leeillo.com/cgart/Snowfly.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.