PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Dirty Job.

shards
02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
made in lightwave C&C are very welcome!!

http://oblivion.3dk.org/roomok.jpg

3D-ima Green
02-13-2004, 02:36 PM
i like this image, i really do--

crits:

Knife seems to be abit too big
No glass aroud that broken TV
Cactus looking really wierd in that scene
The lam, its not making any light at least u cant see it
4 Thommys :surprised, first thought that scene made was kinda "Old room, nobody havent been there for a loong time" something like that, but 4 thommys change oponion about that is it old or is it still in use...
These holes on the wall alsoo are looking wierd, they seem to be abit too big
And finally, this light coming in throught these holes, i think u need to tweak them a little nit.

thats all, :) but :thumbsup:

shards
02-13-2004, 06:24 PM
thanks for your suggestions 3d-ima!! good point about the glass around the tv..what's weird in the catus? :) and the lighting is mainly by the lamp, (the slightly orange shades) just a bit of blue light near the door to simulate the radiosity from the pavement..

Troy
02-13-2004, 07:07 PM
It's good, although quite dark for me.

One quick crit: Are some shafts of light coming through the holes in the wall?
If so, then surely the holes should be illuminated inside, because at the moment they just look like flat textures

shards
02-13-2004, 09:09 PM
If so, then surely the holes should be illuminated inside, because at the moment they just look like flat textures

yes the light is supposed to be coming from the holes..but imho the holes shouldnt be illuminated inside..ideally this was a bright night scene, the blue light is coming from the full moon, maybe I'm wrong but in reality you wont notice any change inside since the lamp's light is too strong confronted with the feeble one of the moon..(or not?) thanks for your comment though!! :thumbsup:

Dohkoo
02-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Your textures are amazing, and I like your use of volumetric light, however, I can't say there is enough light. I understand the room should have a creepy feel which it does, but if it weren't for 3d-ima's post I wouldn't have known what objects were in the picture. Try to make it a bit more clear so viewers can better appreciate the room ;). Besides that, great job and keep working at it.

Lopoly
02-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Light beams again - light beam from window and beams from holes appears to have different angles. It is possible if light was from street lamp nearby but not for a moonlight.

Good/dirty work annyway.
:thumbsup:

shards
02-13-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry guys if it looks a bit dark for you, the problem is that my monitor really sucks A LOT!!probably there is some gamma difference between mine and yours..
lopoly, you have a very good eye!! :surprised that difference it is almost unnoticeable..your right though!! :)

shards
02-15-2004, 03:42 PM
here is another shot with some more contrast in light..I dont know if it is better than the previous, however:
http://oblivion.3dk.org/room4ok.jpg

Bandito
02-15-2004, 06:19 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I like the first post a little better. The first shot kinda brings me back to the game series Silent Hill. The second one is too bright and takes away some od the mystery. As for the bullet holes, the amount of light entering would have to do with how thick the walls are. I like it.

Troy
02-15-2004, 07:26 PM
I think I prefer the first post too.

I'm still not sure about the holes. They look too flat to me, I feel like I should be able to see some of the inside of the hole, this is just my opinion though...

Texturing is great :)

HeroChannel
02-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I like the first post too.. Excellent texturing, but I advice to you, that you should work more with lights.

Dreamwave
02-15-2004, 08:23 PM
great texturing!!!
are those maps or done with the LW procedurals?

shards
02-15-2004, 09:22 PM
great texturing!!! are those maps or done with the LW procedurals?

thanks, texturing is a mix of procedurals and image maps, some painting in photoshop on the walls..if you're interested I can post some maps.

Dreamwave
02-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by oblivionblack
thanks, texturing is a mix of procedurals and image maps, some painting in photoshop on the walls..if you're interested I can post some maps.

yes I am, that would be very interesting!
I use Lightwave too but I don't really have the hang of the procedural textures yet and painting them all by hand is a lot more work when it sometimes can be much easier with procedurals

shards
02-15-2004, 10:46 PM
here are the maps:
http://oblivion.3dk.org/room-maps.jpg

Lopoly
02-16-2004, 12:57 AM
I also prefer the first one - moonlight add some ambiency there, second shot is to warm, almost cosy :)
One more thing about bulet holes - aren't they spread little to regular? It's almost 3x3 checker. They should be more randomly placed I think.

m_luscombe
02-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Good job with the details. It's the overall effect that falls short. Mainly, the contrast of your textures is stronger than the contrast in lighting. The image ends up being all-texture, no-form.

The light from the bulb needs some fall-off. The wall beside the bulb is just as illuminated as the wall in the very far corner down near the cactus.

The seconary problem, as a still image, is that the even lighting and consistent contrast across the image seems to flatten everything onto one plane and doesn't offer a focus or specific point of interest.

It looks like a lot of work, I think a little more work on the lighting and contrast could really make it a stand-out peice.

shards
02-16-2004, 11:46 AM
thanks a lot!!the roblem is that those volumetrics really takes too much to render..the first one took almost 2 days :( when rendering times are so huge I quickly get bored!!
here is another pov without volumetrics:
http://oblivion.3dk.org/room5ok.jpg

mikepolizos
02-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Cool textures!
I like the first image better!

Good work, man!

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.