PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D 8 Texturing by Leigh van der Byl

kurv
02-13-2004, 12:20 AM
Well as you may have read in another thread Leigh is FINALLY (jk Leigh) done with her texturing book...

Creating interesting and detailed surfaces for objects and characters in 3D, whether they are to appear photo realistic or stylized, is a process that many artists find complex and confusing. LightWave 3D 8 Texturing is targeted at all levels of animators and visual effects artists who wish to create stunning textures for their models.

This book will retail for 49.95 and you can read more about this title and get pre-order specials form us here.

www.wordware.com/texturing (http://www.wordware.com/texturing)

leigh
02-13-2004, 12:27 AM
I made that!! I MADE THAT!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT MEEEEE!!!!

Sorry I just had to say that :p

*crawls back under a rock*

Bytehawk
02-13-2004, 12:29 AM
lol

rottle
02-13-2004, 12:50 AM
I'd so buy it if i could afford it

Keiyentai
02-13-2004, 01:00 AM
:drool: Must go Must buy *run out of the room towards the bank only to realize he has $0.53 in his bank account*....ARG

Ziah
02-13-2004, 01:20 AM
im getting it def inately when does it come out depending upon lightwave 8?

ages
02-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Leigh's a girl?

roguenroll
02-13-2004, 02:35 AM
I plan on defeating my arch nemesis with this book.

UV's

Oh, the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Rogue

little5points
02-13-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm buying it for sure!

But what's the deal with those cover design elements? Looks like someone is stuck in the '80s :D

LFGabel
02-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Got to spend money to make money... support our community!

AndrewE
02-13-2004, 03:03 AM
I'm buying it!

In fact, I'm going to give my instructor the money to pick it up for me!

YAY ME!

Dreamabyss
02-13-2004, 03:28 AM
Congratulations on publishing your book! That is quite an accomplishment...now it remains to be seen if the book is good or not. No offense please...it's just that I have a full library of books that don't meet my needs. At an average of $40 bucks a pop...it's getting expensive!

Anyhow...I'm definitely interested in picking up a copy but I would like to take a peek at it before making the investment. I was getting ready to buy Digital Texturing & Painting by Owen Demers but now I'm thinking of getting Leigh's book instead since it's focussed on Lightwave.

Some advice would be nice! Leigh..if you are familiar with Demer's book, what would be the primary differences between it and yours? Since I am new to Lightwave and texturing, which book would benefit me the most? I know your opinion would be biased but for some reason I think I can trust you to steer me in the right direction. :) Please don't say "get both" because I can't afford it.

MooseDog
02-13-2004, 05:16 AM
holi krappe!!! did anybody else check out the table of contents posted by wordware?

EVERYTHING you wanted to know about texturing in LW but were afraid to ask!!

fantastic pice of work. :applause: :bowdown:

pre=ordered:)

Remi
02-13-2004, 05:25 AM
Bought...Leigh's very talented person...definitly supporting her in her endeavors....excuse the spelling it's late....look forward to seeing it in print.:) Good job Leigh:)

peanut
02-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Leigh's a girl?

LMAO !! no she's not !

Shade01
02-13-2004, 05:30 AM
Are these upcoming LW8 books titled with '8' because that's the newest upcoming release or are there really features of these books that use LW8?

Beamtracer
02-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by ages
Leigh's a girl?
No she's not. Leigh is the powerful woman of 3D. A superhero!

roguenroll
02-13-2004, 05:59 AM
she may be a superhero, I just hope she on our side.

descripton of author by book company:

Leigh pursues the quest of photo realism with an increasingly fervent, almost frightening dedication.

PaulyBarnes
02-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Leigh's a girl?

Negative, she's a Meat Popcicle.

dark_lotus
02-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by PaulyBarnes
Negative, she's a Meat Popcicle.

Yum Meat Popcicle.

Congrats! I know you've worked long and hard on that manuscript, and now that it's complete you can break out the proverbial bubbly.

I want it signed at Siggraph!

Dreamabyss
02-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by peanut
LMAO !! no she's not !

Check out "her" avatar and try posting again. If you are still confused, you might want to check out "her" website.

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/bio.htm

BTW...Leigh is not necessarily a boys name. :p

leigh
02-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks for all the support :thumbsup:

Yes, I am a meat popcicle! (damn I love that film!)

Just because I have short hair doesn't mean I am a guy!!! :cry:

Originally posted by Dreamabyss
Some advice would be nice! Leigh..if you are familiar with Demer's book, what would be the primary differences between it and yours? Since I am new to Lightwave and texturing, which book would benefit me the most? I know your opinion would be biased but for some reason I think I can trust you to steer me in the right direction. :) Please don't say "get both" because I can't afford it.

I did read Owen Demers book a while ago. It's a good read, but to be totally honest the problem I had with it was that it was kinda impractical in a lot of ways. For example, some of the exercises/examples made use of actually painting textures on canvas and then photographing them to use as textures. Basically, his book is very arty. Mine isn't very arty. That's the biggest difference. I know a lot of people really loved his book, so I guess it depends on peoples mindsets. I would recommend that you wait until my book comes out, take a look at both, and get the one that appeals to your style.

pdrake
02-13-2004, 09:08 AM
i'll buy it. no worry.

congrats leigh. i don't know you or have ever corresponded with you, but i'm still impressed.

when will it make it to the states?

(didn't read the thread. solly)

Cararan
02-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Leigh's a girl?

Lmao.

kretin
02-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Shade01
Are these upcoming LW8 books titled with '8' because that's the newest upcoming release or are there really features of these books that use LW8?

Just popping in between paragraphs...

Both I'd say. I can't really speak for the other books, but mine, LW8 Cartoon Character Creation, definitely makes full use of LW8's toolset, otherwise it would have been out months ago :p

And of course, well done Leigh, looks like quite an accomplishment :applause:

LittleFenris
02-13-2004, 02:58 PM
I preordered my copy yesterday! :buttrock: Can't wait to learn texturing from one of the greats! :bounce:

Nemoid
02-13-2004, 03:29 PM
:thumbsup:

Leigh rules. She's the best man here.

TheFreak
02-13-2004, 05:20 PM
me like the pretty colours

kurv
02-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Shade01

Both of these books are on LW8 and use the latest version in the text... :)

Leigh is a superhero!!!

PetterSundnes
02-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Congrats on finishing the book. Looking forward to see it.

I have always wanted to write a book on interface/interaction design, but I dont have the writing skills or patience to do so.

Hat off to Leigh! :bowdown:

NanoGator
02-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Leigh's a girl?

Well, a close approximation of one anyway. :D

Insider
02-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Congrats Leigh!

hey, tell you what -
You show me yours, I'll show you mine...

heheheh

Dreamabyss
02-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
Mine isn't very arty. That's the biggest difference....

Well, I'm an arty farty guy...but I think I'll go for yours since it's probably more applicable to Lightwave with practical examples to get me going. Now if I could just get it autographed!! ;)

Thanks Leigh!!!

leigh
02-14-2004, 10:51 PM
:D

I just didn't see the point in being all artsy fartsy for two reasons: firstly, because Owen Demers already covered that, and secondly because I don't believe that you can actually teach people to be artsy fartsy :p You have to be born that way :D

Seriously though, Dreamabyss, I would suggest waiting until my one is actually published before you make any decisions. Both books are worth reading, and I would hate for you to make a decision you might regret :)

Thanks to everyone else for their comments. I've made a new avatar to celebrate my ecstacy at being finished. Yay.

whereisanykey
02-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm going to go and order it. Looks like the book will arrive about the same time as LW8. So it'll be a good pairing.

Leigh,

Saw your work on the LOTR character, Aragorn, I believe. It really looked awesome. I'd say better than anything I've seen. Also some of your other work. That's why I'd buy the book.
Besides my 3yr old granddaughter's name is Leigha. Too close to pass up.

Larry_g1s
02-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Congrats Leigh. I've been really impressed with your texturing abilities and think I'll pick up this book aswell.

I agree with that table of contents comment, it looks to cover EVERYTHING. :thumbsup: And sense I'm using LW, I like that it's LW specific.

polygonpusher
02-16-2004, 09:57 PM
congradulations:applause:

hamu73
07-17-2004, 10:41 PM
can you convert the content into other apps or is it strictly a lightwave book??
it looks really cool but actually I don't have lightwave but I would probably buy this book if you can convert it into other apps
or is it hard to convert the content intoother apps like maya or 3ds max??

leigh
07-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Nope, only part of the book can be applied to other programs. I think that users of other applications that buy this book will end up disappointed.
I'm starting on a new book soon though, one that will apply to all software :)

Thanks to everyone else for the kind comments :)

hamu73
07-17-2004, 11:06 PM
ok thanks looking forward to this book then
when will that be out approximately??

Signal2Noise
07-17-2004, 11:13 PM
ok thanks looking forward to this book then
when will that be out approximately??
:rolleyes: It's out approximately now.

Signal to Noise sez this book is a MUST BUY TITLE!

Keiyentai
07-17-2004, 11:15 PM
*wishes he had the money to by it*

hamu73
07-17-2004, 11:20 PM
ehhmmm no I mean the new book of Leighthe softwaare independant one

leigh
07-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Hehe not for a while, I'm afraid. Probably a year or so... My workload has increased a lot, which means I cannot write this one fulltime.

rikart
07-18-2004, 05:18 AM
I've been using Lightwave since 5.0 came out on the mac. I've bought just about all the books and tapes that have been released some good and some bad. But this book on the initial read may be the best. It is so well written, it is a smooth and interesting read. The book deals in basics but there are always little tidbits you didn't know. If you are concerned about the quality, don't be, it's their.

Richard

T4D
07-19-2004, 11:30 AM
I been reading the book for the last week or 2 and i have to add it's a Top book
Most excellent work Leigh :thumbsup:

covers all the details and teachs good methods

Buy it !!!
if you want to improve your Surfacing/Texturing skills it's that simple :applause:

Hehe not for a while, I'm afraid. Probably a year or so... My workload has increased a lot, which means I cannot write this one fulltime.
with over 9000 posts to CDTalk I can't beleave you have anytime at all !!!!:eek:

jbw
07-19-2004, 09:11 PM
with over 9000 posts to CDTalk I can't beleave you have anytime at all !!!!
:applause:

This was probably asked earlier but I couldn't find a strong enough answer to convince me to purchase the book.
Is this specific to tools in LW8? I still use 7.5 and would love to get my mits on a decent texturing book. Will I have problems following techniques outlined in this book if I'm running a previous version of LW?

ta,
jbw

kurv
07-19-2004, 09:15 PM
:applause:

This was probably asked earlier but I couldn't find a strong enough answer to convince me to purchase the book.
Is this specific to tools in LW8? I still use 7.5 and would love to get my mits on a decent texturing book. Will I have problems following techniques outlined in this book if I'm running a previous version of LW?

ta,
jbw
Leigh's book is specific to LW, and she used 8 for the book... but most of it applies to 7 or 7.5.

Thanks!!

NanoGator
07-19-2004, 10:25 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any significant differences in texturing between LW 7.5 and 8. Well, maybe one if you count multiple surface editing from scene editor or something.

webshot
07-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Is this book going to ever reach my local book store? Here in California the date keeps getting pushed back at my local Barnes and Noble. Now they tell me November or December. I like to read or scan through a book before I buy it. But LW 10 will be out before I can even get to read the table of contents.

Leigh or Kurv
Any idea when bookstores will get this puppy?

retinajoy
07-19-2004, 11:22 PM
... Now they tell me November or December. I like to read or scan through a book before I buy it. But LW 10 will be out before I can even get to read the table of contents.

Leigh or Kurv
Any idea when bookstores will get this puppy?
Honestly, if you have an interest in texturing and improving those skills, you can't go wrong in buying Leighs books. It is simply excellent. Plus it is fine for those still with Lightwave 7.5. Just look at all the positive comments. My main critisism is, I wished she wrote it earlier. Order it from Amazon or somewhere similar. You won't regret it, unless texturing does not interest you.

webshot
07-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks man. But I am kinda picky on delivery. I'm kinda weird like that. And on a college budget I can ill afford to throw away 30-40 bucks. (that is like 2 weeks of food for me...lol). So far the only books I have enjoyed were Dans and the Lightwave essentials book. So I tend to want to skim through them to check out the authors style. But I have no doubt on its value, just like to see things for myself.

jbw
07-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Leigh's book is specific to LW, and she used 8 for the book... but most of it applies to 7 or 7.5.

Thanks!!
To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any significant differences in texturing between LW 7.5 and 8. Well, maybe one if you count multiple surface editing from scene editor or something.
Thanks for the answers guys - just what I wanted to hear! :thumbsup:

*scuttles off to amazon to order Leigh's book*

BTW - Leigh, congrates on finishing this. If it gets my texture skills up to scratch then I'm eternally grateful! :)

ta,
jbw

Fungusmonkey
08-06-2004, 10:48 PM
For all those that have read the book:

I know that the book is titled Lightwave TEXTURING, but does Leigh go over specular reflection or specular lighting at all in the book? I remember a while back Leigh wrote about using reflection lighting or something like that instead of specularity, but I could never find any more information on it. Was it in a thread somewhere? If anyone knows what I'm talking about, let me know.

...if I'm not making any sense, then I guess you should completely ignore the crazy person...

uncon
08-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Leigh does a great job describeing in-depth all the channels and why they are there, color, diffuse, specularity, reflection, etc... I thought this was one of the most helpfull aspects of the book because I never know the difference between color and diffuse. Leigh talks about makeing specular maps and diffuse maps in conjunction with color maps. I highly suggest it (which means nothing I am sure but I liked the read.)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.