PDA

View Full Version : FLX format...

jjburton
02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
I just finished a render last night with Respower. They said to use the flx format if I wanted to use stitcher for a large format render (40 segments). Only, it didn't work, does anyone know how to open it in Photoshop? I searched on flay and found a plugin but it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

PixelInfected
02-15-2004, 12:41 PM
in the info of lw 8, there is a plugin for photoshop to load FLX format.

actually you can load it in lightwave with image editor, double click on image, and save it like psd, or other format that photoshop can read.

if you have used an utility like frenchware splitrender, to produce the split of large render in many scene, you can use same plugin to rebuild full image in lw, but only if you did it with that plugin.

have a nice day.

LittleFenris
02-15-2004, 05:37 PM
What is the FLX format for anyways? And what do you mean rendering 40 segments? Sorry for the stupid questions. :blush:

jjburton
02-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Pixel- thanks

LittleFenris- With large renders (in my case 9600 x 14400 pixels) sometimes there is not enough memory for Lightwave to start the render. In cases like that you someitmes have split the render, ala the split render plugin. Respower has a similar feature (maybe same plug, not sure), regardless, I had to split my render into 40 segments or pieces that the machines could handle that then had to be put back together.

Beamtracer
02-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Does anyone know where you can get this FLX to Photoshop plugin? I'd like to use that one.

jjburton, it sounds like you need a new computer that can take more RAM, so you can render these huge images easier.

jjburton
02-15-2004, 10:03 PM
I've got a P4 3ghz with 1 gig of ram:) Can't afford much more of a machine. Sometimes you just have to split them up. I could have done it myself with split render but I was down to the wire on a deadline.

There's an old version of the plug on flay, but I couldn't get it to work. There supposed to be a new one that comes with LW8

rickycox
02-16-2004, 12:13 AM
You don't open the FLX image in Photoshop.

If you did there would be no point renderring out to the FLX file format. I think PShop can only handle 8 and 16 bit images.

The beauty of FLX format is that you can import it back into Layout, then use the Image Editing controls to adjust the white point, and save it out as something that photoshop can handle.

rickycox
02-16-2004, 12:26 AM
A quote from Ladd at Respower

Don't forget that for your final render you'll want to try the .flx (flexible) file format. We have an automated "stitcher" that will put the
tiles back together again for you automatically.

In order to transfer the .flx into another format, you can load it up in LW's image editor (which will also allow you to apply various image control
stuff to it like white point and black point) and then save it out as another format like TIF or photoshop or whatever.

I'd suggest experimenting with it a bit beforeheand

The great thing about this is that you can do a segmented render on 40 different machines, then automatically sew it back together (Stitcher at Respower currently only works with flx renders) and still get a full precision render.

monovich
10-13-2005, 06:35 PM
does anyone know where I can read up more on the pros/cons of the FLX format?

thx.

-Steve

gerardo
10-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Don't know any link but an advantage is that many high dinamic range formats can store 96 bits and FLX can stored 128 bits, however this format delivers a huge file. Although nowadays OpenEXR is the standard and its files sizes are really better optimized too :)

Gerardo

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2005, 08:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.