PDA

View Full Version : The Darkness, Seane (2D)

SeanE
02-12-2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/64404/darkness_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/64404/darkness.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/64404/darkness.jpg

After working on this off and on for the past 3 weeks inbetween going back to work after 6 weeks holiday, it's finally finished. You have no idea how sick I am of the colour blue...and after heaps of work the $#@%& jpeg conversion flattened the look the @#$$% leaves anyway... ahh well, them's the breaks

comments welcome as always

Sean

I will just point out the credits which appear down the right hand side - pencils by silvestri, inks by wong and COLOUR by me.... just in case anyone is misled...

Alice
02-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Love it and want it as a poster above my drawingtable :)

jaucifer
02-13-2004, 01:38 AM
hmmm, very classcial, your style is like DC comics :thumbsup:

SeanE
02-13-2004, 04:44 AM
I will just point out the credits which appear down the rignt hand side - pencils by silvestri, inks by wong and COLOUR by me.... just in case anyone is misled...

illustr8r
02-13-2004, 04:46 AM
did you ink and color this? or just color it?

picksel
02-13-2004, 08:03 PM
good work man! I like your work as usual!:applause:

hao
02-14-2004, 05:34 AM
cool comic style...........:thumbsup:

Icarus
02-14-2004, 08:44 AM
Woa!, Thats awsome...

Great effects with the multi-blue levels. gives a great comic effect.... :)

jeroentje
02-14-2004, 08:45 AM
LOL I expected fan art from the band called The Darkness :D
This is better. Awsome composition from silvestri. And you did a great job colouring it.

Kood
02-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Nice! :thumbsup:

Would a .png not lose the blue effect you speak of? might be worth a shot.

ryusen
02-14-2004, 09:50 AM
whoa momma.. very nice indeed..

*i just notice that frontpage plugging is kinda subjective.. isn't it? :D

stiffmeister
02-14-2004, 09:57 AM
uhaaa, there are so much details in it. i woke up now and switched on my pc, look at cgtalk as every morning (11:00 *g*) and what's that?! great stuff!

the comic style could be marvel too .... like batman

acidboy
02-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey SeanE

Please don't take this the wrong way as your drawing it very nice.
But the composition and chacters are exactly like a darkness poster\cover done years ago. (My friend has a huge frames poster of it)

I know it's tempting to imitate when you are a big fan of something (I done it once in the past).
But for your reputation and to further your skills, you should not really do it.

Here's the existing cover.

acidboy
02-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Just checked out ya website,.

You do mention that you only done the colouring on many of the images, as they are existing finished artworks.

You might want to mention that in the forum, otherwise people will start accussing you of ripping off people's work.

jeroentje
02-14-2004, 10:23 AM
If you had read all Sean's posts you would have understood that Sean did a colouring from the original line-art.

I plugged this because the piece that was posted made me go:
"OMG people should see this!".
The fact that the result of the piece is a work done by 3 artists (as Sean already mentioned: "pencils by Silvestri, inks by Wong and COLOUR by Sean") is not a reason not to plug it, because the result is IMO just awsome.

Garma
02-14-2004, 10:24 AM
the drawing is cool, but I don't extremely like the colors. the blue is cool, but the other sparse colors kind of screw up.

overall cool pic :thumbsup:

Ralf
02-14-2004, 10:26 AM
wow, verryverry nice.:thumbsup:

'tho there is one point which bothers me.
why is the gnome at the bottom a dude on sneakers with guns in his hand.
Rest of m have a sinister non-techno look.
seems like you felt like drawing something else inbetween.
Stil a great drawing tho (but i like to nitpick)

acidboy
02-14-2004, 10:35 AM
jeroentje

I didn't say it shouldn't be plugged.

I see seanE has been nice enough to edit his post to clarify the situation.

I was politley letting him know as I have seen people jump down other's throats for less then this.

SeanE
02-14-2004, 10:47 AM
I *did* say who did the various bits of the pic - down the right hand side of the pic AND in a post where I saw people getting the wrong idea.

Gawd - does no one read these days???....[/grievance mode]

I made the front pageof cgtalk??? - bloody hell that's great! I hardly ever look at it though...

cheers
Sean

acidboy
02-14-2004, 11:01 AM
sorry man.

Congrats for getting front page, and like I said from the start
->it's very nice.

The credits on the image were hard to see being low res.
Yeah i didn't notice the small post about the credits earlier - my bad.

Chill, have a nice day and keep colouring :thumbsup:

Supervlieg
02-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Nice coloring job, although I would have liked to see a more radically different coloring scheme compared to the original.

We've had the poster on our walls at my office, and this poster is exactly in my line of view for at least a year now. And frankly I hardly noticed yours was a new coloring job.

But nevertheless a good job. I do think the colors on the gargoyles are a bit samey. Except for one, they're pretty much all the same color. I would have liked to see a bit more depth in the coloring of them. The gargoyles overall seem a bit flat. The gargoyle in the front (red hatted one) is almost the same colors as the one flying away in the distance. You might wanna bring more depth in these colorings in the same way you did the coloring on the statue.

With that said the contrasty color on the main man himself are a bit too bright imo. This kinda brings him to the same distance as the gargoyle with the red hat.

Anyway, great job. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh. Its mostly opinions, most of your choices could be justified as a matter of taste.

edit: I would vote for a more dramatic sky and clouds. But then again, this might just be me ;)

Alexander.ar
02-14-2004, 04:58 PM
:beer:
Very good work. I like your colours. This looks best than the original cover. Congratulations.
:buttrock:

Max4d
02-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Damn.. never thought of seeing you here Sean.

I realy like the picture, maybe a bit to dark but congrats on making the front page :D:D

Keep it up

Greetz Max4d

LukaStellwag
02-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Wow, very nice :).

slime
02-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Great Illustration, but I don't think the coloring does justice...

onlooker
02-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Reminds me of the earlier works of A.Alvarez, but evolved. link (http://www.alexalvarez.com/images/2D_digital/rapture.html). I like it.

Lekku
02-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Some people just don't get it. Anyway, I like the reworking you've done - more than the original. I wish you had made his guantlets and armor darker. They seemed to glow in the original, too. Still, fine color work.

Captain
02-15-2004, 05:05 AM
DON'T comment untill you read the posts people! He never said he drew it. Why are you guys commenting on the drawing. Sean did the COLORING.

On to the important stuff. Sean: Your coloring is marvelous (pun intended). It stays very true to the tone of the comics. It is very professional, and if you are interested in a career in the comics industry this peice would probobaly be a perfect portfollio addition. Great work, what program did you use? What techniques (eg layers, channels etc).

By the way, if you (readers)like the pencils, do a 'google of Marc Silvestri. The guy is one of the biggest pencils in the comic industry.

-Captain

SeanE
02-15-2004, 06:18 AM
To answer a few people

I'm not a pro, nor even particularly looking to get involved in the comics industry at this stage - though after the support I've gotten here and the overall positive encouragement I may change my mind if someone were to pay me what I get now in my current job! :p

At present I'm a high school social studies teacher at Como Secondary College here in Perth Australia (http://www.como.wa.edu.au - if anyone cares...) who has a cheap hobby doing this stuff.

I hope that doesn't put anyone off me btw.... I'd love to do this for a job - but giving up my current one without another already just isn't going to happen. Besides apart from Andie Tong (MOTU artist) I don't know of anyone in the comic business here in perth western australia - we're kinda off the beaten track so to speak.

I've done the occasional one off commission of a pinup here and there and will soon have a couple of pictures (which I've already posted on cgtalk.com) and a tutorial article published in Michael Burns' new book "Digital Sci Fi Art" due to be publsihed in Aug-Oct this year via Harper Collins (Mike also wrote "Digitale Femme" - see amazon.com) - and all copyright permissions have been arranged so don't stress there please.

Otherwise that's it. I'm always on the lookout for quality lineart like this silvestri pic so if you've got something send it to me!!!

thankyou all

cheers
Sean

*continues to bounce with glee at the sight of his pic on the frontpage*

Diode2
02-15-2004, 06:50 AM
:bounce: it's good

Juji
02-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Great to see you here Sean! Nice job as always. :applause: The blue was worth the trouble. :)

DoLeeP
02-15-2004, 04:27 PM
old style like it alot
ur coloring amazing
congrat on frontpage
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Redsand1080
02-16-2004, 04:46 PM
I LOVE The Darkness man...one of my favorite comic books...it's a toss-up between that and Witchblade actually. Unfortunately I don't follow them anymore but I have the first 10 issues of The Darkness. Anyways, it's awesome to see some more comic book art up here...especially The Darkness. And I must say Silvestri and Michael Turner were 2 of the biggest influences on me when I was still in my teens. They are friggin' amazing draftsmen with refreshingly unique styles...nice job on the color too.;)

-JJJ

sizzlebits
02-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Well, seems i've seen this somewhere before. probably in the comic itself. I can't really pick out anything unique or special. The color lacks depth. The lighting needs work. *shrug* sorry to negative, but it just doesn't do it for me.

fizzgig
02-17-2004, 01:54 AM
wow! too cool

SeanE
02-20-2004, 04:15 AM
I'd just like to thankyou all for your confidence in me and to whoever does the selecting, for placing this picture in the "Choice" gallery

*does cartwheels of joy around the cgtalk.com website*

cheers
Sean

jONjON
02-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Nice! Keep up the good work!!! :bowdown:

meheekano
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
nice work on the COLORS
did a good job on it

but what really made me comment on this thread is how people speak their mind before they read anything on what they comment

and again good job seanE

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.