PDA

View Full Version : Help needed:Game programming in c++

robinmitra
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi,
I'm interested in game programming but from some web site I have come to know that game programming for OpenGL requires Visual C++. Since I only know c++ & not the visual version can I program an OpenGL game in C++. From where do I get started for programming games in C++.:eek:

iC4
02-13-2004, 01:58 AM
c++ is all you need.

some links:

www.gametutorials.com
www.gamedev.net
www.flipcode.com
nehe.gamedev.net

gamedev has some nice articles about where to start and the basics....

`thief00`
02-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by robinmitra1
Hi,
I'm interested in game programming but from some web site I have come to know that game programming for OpenGL requires Visual C++. Since I only know c++ & not the visual version can I program an OpenGL game in C++. From where do I get started for programming games in C++.:eek:

You don't need the visual stuff(MFC) to do game programming, maybe only little of WIN32 API.

ThE_JacO
02-16-2004, 02:37 AM
visual *.* are parts of the MS development suite.
they are just IDEs (integrated development environments) that offer you a nice way to structure your projects and to do everything from end to end in a single environment (write, manage, link, compile and debug).

C++ itself is environment agnostic, the IDE only comes into play, eventually, at compiling time, since at that point platform and inclinations of a compiler do make a difference.

openGL in particular is not only IDE agnostic, it's widely appreciated VS directX particularly because it's portable.

Altho MS isn't exactly popular I find visual studio net (2003a) an excellent IDE, so if you can spare the cash the cheap student version is worth buying IMHO, but that doesn't mean you can't take care of all your openGL writing needs in notepad for what it matters, or just use vim + gcc in linux.

schmu_20mol
02-16-2004, 11:56 AM
as for ides ....

if you sit on a linux box you may have a look at 'anjuta' or for win there's also 'dev c++' ...just search for them on freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.