PDA

View Full Version : AIM Virus?

Novakog
02-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Yeah, recently a friend sent me a link and I clicked it and it put a virus on my comp, and sent the same link to all my buddies, and it continues to send them links (I told them to ask me b4 dling anything I send them), and Norton doesn't pick it up (neither does McAfee according to one of my friends), is there any way I can get it off my system?

3Dfx_Sage
02-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Booting to MS-DOS 6.0, please wait...

C:\Windows>

C:\Windows> fdisk

Press any key to boot from CD-ROM...

Now Starting Windows Setup...

Novakog
02-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Meh, I think I'm WAYYY too lazy to fdisk. I wonder if Spybot picks it up... but Norton should get it soon. A friend just sent me this link (this isn't the virus one):

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/02/11/instantmessenger.ad.ap/index.html

Guess I learned my lesson (ask what something is before clicking it)...

3Dfx_Sage
02-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Novakog
Guess I learned my lesson (ask what something is before clicking it)...
a few times being linked to goatse.cx will teach you that, but whether it's less harmful is debatable...

Valkyrien
02-12-2004, 08:17 AM
dude, just roll your machine back to before you installed the link. Worked like a charm for me:)

Novakog
02-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Wow, there is the most obvious approach ever...

It turns out buddylinks, since it is technically legal, simply can be uninstalled through the control panel...

It's always the easy answers...

floca
02-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Actually, it happened to me(ill give you the short version), a friend i'm'd with the link and i clicked on it and it started to download something for me........wtf.........so i play it then uninstal l it through start menu........leave aim on go to bed. wake up and see a couple ims........one is a response from a friend's away message saying he wasnt there, so i asked him if i im'd him and hes like yea with that osama thing, I checked to see if it uninstalled and the game uninstalled but not all of the software did. so i went to uninstall through add/remove programs and aim signed off/signed on without me doing a thing to aim and im like wtf and then i look and it did not uninstall. So i deleted the damn thing....(c./program files/buddylinks).What a pain in the ass.

Novakog
02-13-2004, 02:52 AM
"i went to uninstall through add/remove programs and aim signed off/signed on without me doing a thing to aim and im like wtf and then i look and it did not uninstall."

Sounds kinda like you didn't restart your comp since it first installed itself, you can't uninstall any software if you haven't restarted since it was first installed.

dvornik
02-13-2004, 04:50 AM
[edit] Never mind. The CNN link was already posted by Novakig.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.