PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation

jshuler
02-12-2004, 02:45 AM
I look for an OpenGL book and found the following:

OpenGL SuperBible
OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL

Is one better than the other? Should I be looking at any others?

Also, does anyone know if Real-Time Rendering is a good book?

Jon

iC4
02-12-2004, 10:27 AM
the opengl programming guide is available for free

http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~lmarcos/courses/mc603/redbook/

there is also a pdf, check out www.opengl.org

I bought the opengl superbible, and I think it's a really a great book.

M-J
02-12-2004, 02:11 PM
the free version of the red book covers just OpenGL 1.1. There's a new version out which covers OpenGL 1.4.
Well, depends on what you want to do. If you just want to have a look a OpenGL the free version will do... nevertheless it's a great book :-)

Boardin087
02-16-2004, 08:56 PM
i recently got a very good book by andre lamothe entitled tricks of the 3d game programming gurus second edition. its produced by sams and 42 dolllars at amazon. the nice thing is that it doesn't use an API like opengl and direct3d but you do alot of that low level coding in it. i picked up the book and after mastering the concepts in that, learned direct3d in a very short time, im sure it would be the same for opengl!

Banty
02-21-2004, 11:34 AM
about Real-Time Rendering: It's a good book, but it dosent explain all theory in depth, it's like a index book; every section points to a paper which explores all about the algorithm or techinque presented by Real-Time Rendering.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.