PDA

View Full Version : digital painting without a tablet?

Spritemare
02-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Does anyone do digital painting with only their mouse? If so, can I please see some samples? I'm undecided on if I want a tablet or not. Mainly I'm afraid of the fact that you have to draw on the tablet while looking at the screen :surprised

If you have any input or advice, please let me know.

chach
02-12-2004, 03:09 PM
you absolutely can, it just takes practice. some of these were painted in photoshop, others are 3d: http://www.feoamante.com/Gallery/jbarnes/jbarnes.html

dg
02-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Tablets are really cool, but they are not the resposable ones for good work, using a mouse might take longer to achieve the same results but its defenilty doable and the end results will look quite the same.

Painter in the other hand is a application that sux with a mouse only, because painter really uses all the power of a tablet, PS uses like 80%, but it's different.

My 2 cents ;)

Cheers,
dg

Spritemare
02-12-2004, 09:25 PM
thanks for the input.

Great samples, by the way.

Would you recommend that I sketch something out on paper, scan it, and then paint it in Photoshop? Is that the best way to do it?

hesido
02-12-2004, 10:31 PM
you get used to that real fast, looking at the monitor and using a tablet, that's what you are doing when you are using mouse too! Still, if I want to draw better, I use pen and paper (which is not really good either, lol)

But years ago, on my Amiga, me and my elder brother did this using Brilliance (what a cool proggy that was :=),
using only mouse :) He drew just the black and white outlines by looking at a magazine page, and I did the shading in good old 256 colors ;)
http://abone.tnn.net/harme/images/jimcarrey8b.png

It is quite obvious, with a mouse, it is harder to create natural looking lines that looks like charcoal drawings. You'll also be using the tablet not only to draw from scratch, but work on existing material, and the tablet makes it a breeze. With quite decent ones starting at 100$, it is never a bad investment. If you are really into illustration, you can also go for ones that calculates tilt of the pen. But I am quite happy with my entry level wacom graphire.

dg
02-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Well like Hesido said, a tablet is a good investment if you plan to use it, I have Intuos and I don't regret at all of buying it :D

Cheers,
dg

Spritemare
02-13-2004, 03:27 AM
I think you guys have convinced me to get that tablet :D thanks for the advice. I'm guessing bigger = better when it comes to tablets. I dont know if I'd spend more than $200 on one, though.

MasonDoran
02-13-2004, 10:24 AM
some times its hard to get long smooth lines with the mouse...so i suggest doing a lot of masking with the lasso tool....it get you a lot more control and be able to give you sharp edges with complete control

Stroker
02-13-2004, 01:52 PM
DarkGarden uses a trackball.
Here is a small example of his work in the form of a tutorial: Eyes (http://faq.ozoneasylum.com/162/rating/).

hesido
02-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Using a mouse, fine, but a trackball?? Should be really hard drawing with your thumb!!! For most of us, learning to use trackball for drawing would be as hard as learning a new language with a different grammar structure :)

chach
02-13-2004, 04:02 PM
you might want a smaller tablet, as you'll be looking at the monitor while drawing, so, you want to be able to draw a single stroke across the entire monitor...with a small tablet you can do that using just your wrist, with a larger one you have to move your whole arm, which, IMHO, is less intuitive and comfortable.
As a caveat to that, there are tablet PCs that you use to draw directly onto the screen using a stylus, and THOSE are HOT!

Spritemare
02-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by chach
you might want a smaller tablet, as you'll be looking at the monitor while drawing, so, you want to be able to draw a single stroke across the entire monitor...with a small tablet you can do that using just your wrist, with a larger one you have to move your whole arm, which, IMHO, is less intuitive and comfortable.
As a caveat to that, there are tablet PCs that you use to draw directly onto the screen using a stylus, and THOSE are HOT!

yes -- I saw that, but $3500!?!? :argh:

Here's the link:
http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index_18sx.cfm

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.