PDA

View Full Version : Filter Galley

.kavoo.
02-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi Guys!

How do I disable the Filter Gallery in the photoshop cs?

That leaves o photoshop very heavy!

[]'s!!

halo
02-11-2004, 09:00 PM
you cant:surprised

f@%king useless isnt it on large layered files....took me 15-20 mins to use a filter the other day...only way to reduce its impact is work on the area as efficiently as possible, if need be, copy to a new doc.

uncon
02-12-2004, 10:54 PM
whoa, what is this "filter gallery" and does it really make a performance hit? This is the first I had heard about that, I am still using v7 of Photoshop.

halo
02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
depends on what size files your working on....300mb files slow it down a treat

.kavoo.
02-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by uncon
whoa, what is this "filter gallery"??

It is a preview totally unnecessary that they added to the filters.

I prefer of the way that was it of Photoshop 7

uncon
02-13-2004, 10:17 PM
does it always slow down Photoshop or is it something that happens every time you add a filter? It sounds pretty useless.

halo
02-13-2004, 11:17 PM
its a new interface for the old gallery effects plugins....it doesnt affect all the plugins, just the "artistic ones" which are fairly junk anyway. All it does is open a new window showing you a preview of your image, and shows you thumbnails of the filter effects and when you click on one your preview shows what it would be like...the preview is resizable, and you can add filters on top of each other so you can creat composite filter effects in one go...

sounds good, but

a) you cant turn it off, so if you do use them on large files then your in for some time waiting for it to wake up

b) adobe didnt implement a preset effect, so if you layer all your filters up, next time you open it its forgotten what you did before...[perhaps ctrl-option-f may help with this...dunno]

dg
02-14-2004, 12:15 AM
I don't mind having the Filter Gallery for those crappy filters anyway, I barely use them and when I do they must be combined to achieve some interesting result, and in that aspect the filter gallery kinda helps to play with them.
What really slow down isn't the Filter Gallery it self, but the fact that the preview window is way bigger than previous one, making the previews hell slower.
This is really a pain in the ass with huge images, but is something that you can live with, I would be really mad if Blur filters were set in the filter gallery, that would be a real nightmare.

But I agree with you, they should put a way to deactivate the Filter Gallery.

Cheers!

Ikarus
02-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by diogo girondi
This is really a pain in the ass with huge images, but is something that you can live with, I would be really mad if Blur filters were set in the filter gallery, that would be a real nightmare.

But I agree with you, they should put a way to deactivate the Filter Gallery.

Cheers!
I agree, it does tend to make things slow specially working with large files. But it's a nice addition been able to go from filter to filter just by clicking and laying them on top of each other.

Anybody notice any speed differences between CS and 7/6. I'm not too happy speed wise with CS. Specially with using some custom large brushes that I had no problems with in 7. Also the "Liquify" tool is killing me, the slow performance is very noticeble between CS and older version, try pushing and pulling pixels with a 600px brush and it drags:hmm: with the redraw, same goes when zooming in and out. Overall CS feels alittle slugish compared to 7. Anybody else had any slowdowns with CS?

TheWriter
02-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Sheesh, I was just about to upgrade to CS... Glad I didn't yet.

Ikarus
02-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by TheWriter
Sheesh, I was just about to upgrade to CS... Glad I didn't yet.
Don't get me wrong it feels slugish on some parts, but I think it's a worthy updgrade. Alot of kool new tools and enhancements that make it worth the updgrade, and alot of small little things that make the worflow better. :thumbsup:

dg
02-14-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Ikarus
Anybody notice any speed differences between CS and 7/6. I'm not too happy speed wise with CS. Specially with using some custom large brushes that I had no problems with in 7. Also the "Liquify" tool is killing me, the slow performance is very noticeble between CS and older version, try pushing and pulling pixels with a 600px brush and it drags:hmm: with the redraw, same goes when zooming in and out. Overall CS feels alittle slugish compared to 7. Anybody else had any slowdowns with CS?

Yeah it's just a bit slugish then previous versions for me, we need to wait for the famous Adobe .01 update :)

The Liquify tool is heavier now because you work in full reso, in the older version you use to work in kind of a "proxy" mode, your file didn't had the same dimensions in the liquify window that your original file had in the main window, now you can acctually work at 1:1, anyway you can still use low reso proxies with meshes with the liquify in the very same way you had to work in v7.

As for zooming in and out didn't had any problems so far, and I got to say this, this new pan ROX, at last we can work in the edges of file without having to work in the edge of you monitor....hehehe, and finnaly the patch and healing brush tools work in the edges too.

Well, it's a good application, with lot's of good enhancements, and a few problems that as usual come along with new features, let's wait for the update ;)

Cheers,
dg

Ikarus
02-14-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by diogo girondi
this new pan ROX, at last we can work in the edges of file without having to work in the edge of you monitor....hehehe, and finnaly the patch and healing brush tools work in the edges too.

I actually didn't know that when I first installed it until I started panning in fullscreen and then WOW. Took me a second to realize what had just happened :D

halo
02-14-2004, 12:01 PM
speed issues in CS have been reported at adobe's forums on both platforms, however it takes a good read there to even find a possible solution...adobe cant seem to replicate the issues.

dg
02-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Ikarus
I actually didn't know that when I first installed it until I started panning in fullscreen and then WOW. Took me a second to realize what had just happened :D

Really cool ain't it?

:beer:

halo
02-14-2004, 10:22 PM
very handy...one of the main reasons i did upgrade...i must use it every hour of every day.

uncon
02-16-2004, 09:19 PM
That edge panning might be worth the upgrade, I need to bug the people I work for about this...

halo
02-16-2004, 11:29 PM
its very useful, especially if you do anything near an edge in detail

+ the customisable shortcuts are a real bonus...

download a demo and see how you get on

hesido
02-21-2004, 01:59 PM
In addition to this new and cool pan mentioned here, I hope they add an "infinite" pan accessed with an option probably in the window menu. I am talking about the whole image being replicated/tiled as you pan..EXCELLENT for texturing, and maybe good for balancing the colours of the painting.

This may be with the addition of brush effecting the opposite side of the picture once you overflow.. Super b for texturing.

And guess what, it only needs a few clever programming tricks, they don't have to write the whole thing from scratch.

If only some of us had been in the development team, photoshop would be 2.6 times better, we come from the deluxe paint age! Heck, I'd volunteer for free if they'd listen!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.