PDA

View Full Version : Environment modeling question

kcurtis
02-11-2004, 06:30 AM
When doing buildings, etc..anything that has a corner..buildings, tables, tv's....

In games do they bevel the edges or do thet leave them as two flat surfaces together? like 90 degree angles for example?

Does it depend on the game engine? or is there a standard?

Thanks!!!

tobyWong
02-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Depends on what you are doing, how big your level is, what scale your camera sees, and so on. I worked on a few HUGE levels, and anything that wasn't really big and noticable was 90. But I worked on furniture for a game that was mostly indoors, all the furniture was super detailed (800 verts per Square meter)... so I guess it just depends on the project. If it's just for your reel, I'd say just bevel everything and make it look as good as possable. If it's for a demo level, use your best judgement.

Good luck,
-TW

SecretAgent
02-11-2004, 07:00 AM
I think tobyWong is pretty much on the money with what he said. Use your best judgment but, ulitimately make is look as good as possible if given the freedom (within reason for a game engine though).

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.