PDA

View Full Version : Mixer Palette emulated on Canvas??

obosha
02-10-2004, 06:09 PM
does anyone know how to get brushes to do the same thing on the canvas, that the brush does on the mixer palette in painter 8???

i LOVE the way that the paint mixes on the mixer palette, but can't find a brush that will do that on the canvas itself....

Lunatique
02-11-2004, 02:46 AM
Nope, it's not available as a brush. However, if you tweak the palette knife brush, you should be able to get something similar.

jud
03-10-2004, 01:14 PM
That'a a bummer,I was hoping that the paint would interact with other colours just like in the mixer palette,that was going to be one of my main reasons to buy the software,but now Im not so sure.
Does anyone know if there are brush settings that would make this possible,I know there are blenders that can be used,but it would be nice if you could blend as you paint,instead of having to lay down some rough colour then get busy with a blender.
Maybe im just too picky?
Still it is a great piece of software and I am enjoying using the demo and painter classic.

jud

dakmoden
03-22-2004, 05:40 AM
I wanted to be able to do the exact same thing and I've found that using the "Oils_smeary bristle spray" and using soft strokes is about as close as I could get :(

Jinbrown
03-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi,

The folks who developed the Mixer palette in Painter 8 also have a free software named ArtRage. Using its oils brush you can mix colors and it feels a lot like Painter's Mixer palette "brush".

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

It's a pain in the neck to do this, and personally, I would much rather mix my colors in Painter using any number of brush variants that already exist, or ones I tweak a little, but...

If you do your mixing in ArtRage, export (not save) the image and open it in Painter, you can create a Color Set from that image.

ArtRage is kind of fun to play with.. for a while.. but it's extremely limited. The image size has a maximum limit, not too big, and it only has a few drawing and painting tools, not even a Dropper tool which would come in handy, and it only saves in its native format, exports in about three formats (BMP, JPG, and another one I can't remember now).. always at 72 ppi.

Not much good for painting, but it's a big old Mixer palette (sorta).

If you try it, let us know what you think.

Stick with Painter, though, for all of its many capabilities.. including a huge number of brush variants.

Just learn how to use them and you'll be in good shape (Painter's brushes, that is).

Nolita
04-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks Jinny, I downloaded ArtRage. It's loads of fun...I think it will make for interresting effects in combination with painter. Please post it as a seperate thread. I'm thinking there are tons of people who would love it, if only they knew it exists.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.