PDA

View Full Version : How do I prevent PS from overlapping brush strokes?

Vaas
02-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Youd think itd be easy to figure out, but Im stumped. Basically, All I want to do is have my brush set at any opacity and not have it affect any other color thats laid down on that layer. Currently, when I paint from stoke to stroke it keeps getting darker, But fills in evenly with one continues swathing stoke. I want to achieve the same color tone between stokes as I do with the continuous stoke. Hows that done without fixing the layers opacity and maxing you brushs opacity?

roggel
02-11-2004, 09:19 AM
For all I know, you can't. I've had the same problem some time back, but I used that option of setting the brush opacity to 100% and then lowering the layer opacity. Worked great for me! Could you explain why this wouldn't work for you?

chach
02-11-2004, 02:00 PM
i think you have to make your brush opaque and adjust its transparency on the whole layer. sry.

halo
02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
you want your colour not to change with each stroke?

make sure opacity and flow are at 100%, make sure the mode is normal.

Vaas
02-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks, I figured I had to max opacity on my brush then fiddle with layer trans.

After long hours of study, I found clone stamp and smudge tools work ok, but their too counter-intuitive. Im looking for a function in the brush setting that allows me to do this more no the fly than having to set up so many layers. Im having trouble with technical thinking interrupting my creative flow while Im painting, so Im always looking to separate the two with an easy to remember, shortcut solution. Any Ideas will be appreciated.

halo
02-11-2004, 07:58 PM
yes, the only way to do what you want to do is to make a new layer and drop the opacity. But it seems your working in a wierd way.

Vaas
02-11-2004, 08:11 PM
How's that?

halo
02-11-2004, 09:39 PM
well you dont want a build up of colour, you dont want it to affect underneath, so why, instead of using opacity to control colour, just pick the right one in the first place? or is it the opacity thats special to your technique?

Vaas
02-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Special, nowhen I start a piece I figure out it mid-tones then I move onto shading and lighting. During shading, I like to first rough areas that I want darker by a certain percent and not worry about building up just yet, like Cell shading. Obviously, the brush tool alone cant do this yet unless it at max opacity. Although, the Clone tool seems to work almost the way I need it to, except I have to keep resetting it so damn much. I was only hoping in the CS version that they gave you more of a choice to overlap or not. If not I can work the other way as well.

theGuest
02-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Well that's simple... don't reduce the Opacity of your brush.
If you NEED opacity of any kind then reduce the Layer's Opacity afterward.

That's about the only way you can get what you're asking for. No specific Blend Mode will give you those results.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.