PDA

View Full Version : Problem painting weights, smooth bind

samiujan
02-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I am using Maya 5

I am doing a tutorial on modeling a hand using subdivision. I have modeled the hand fine and smooth bound it to a skeleton. Some joints for one finger affect the movement of other neighboring fingers to I tried painting the other finger with 0 weight. This works fine too and the white turns to black on this other finger but when I unselect the hand and reselect it, the influence of the first joint stays on the second joint, selecting the Paint Weights tool and the first joint shows that it is still influencing the other finger

Can someone please guide me here? If it helps, I will upload the file from the other machine on which I am working

Thanks a lot

All the best

Sami

verbal007
02-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Well, first thing I would try is going into the component editor and try zeroing out the weights. Also, as someone posted in this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88567) (which I HIGHLY recommend reading), while painting weights... you want to ADD, not subtract, because the weights always have to equal 1 (100%) and Maya will automatically redistribute the weights if you try and subtract.

Again... read that thread... it's quite helpful.

- Jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.