PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Query

prashantuma
06-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Hi guys,

Question: How do you set up a model for proper deformation during animation?

Elaboration:

The main area I am talking about is where the arms meet the torso. In max using physique, should the vertices be rigid or blended. All this is in the context of game art.

Example:

The human arm can rotate on it's pivot at the shoulders. How would this be done on a low poly model. I have tried it with rigid assignments and obviously you can imagine the outcome.

If anyone has some good models has been animated well, can you please posta wireframe of the model. I need to figure this out before I can carry on. It is useless creating characters that dont animate well...Right?

I would appreciate any kind of response....Cheers

Shan

Whirlwind
06-29-2002, 11:03 PM
I'm not great at doing tutorials at all, nor am I that swell at explaining myself. That said, your probly wondering why I'm bothering to try. Just letting you know to humor me :)
Now that this is out of the way, here we go. I personally use rigid, but any binding will do. The main way to achieve proper deformation in the shoulder joint, is the way you layout your polygons. I'm sure most of you understand the concept of "Edge Loops" Same goes for where the chest meets the shoulder. Must people make the mistake of extruding out from the side of the figure to make the arm. Actually, that doesn't give you a proper shape at all. If you study the arm, you'll see that the shoulder actually overlaps the arm muscle, and it seems to come from below the shoulder, instead of beside it. Still here?
I first extrude the first poly section from the chest, but then move the vertices around to make the generaly shape of a shoulder, then, where the armpit should be, thats where I extrude to make the rest of the arm. I'm gonna try to attach an image that demonstrates this. Hopefully it'll take. Hope this somewhat answers your question.

Whirlwind
06-29-2002, 11:13 PM
Another demostration.
-D

prashantuma
06-30-2002, 05:13 AM
I hear you man.........Thanx for posting the pics.....Now I have a much clearer view and I know what I have been doin wrong. Will get back to my model and try it out...Cheers

teddyman
06-30-2002, 09:29 PM
nice. I have this problem too,but now... thx Whirlwind

Whirlwind
06-30-2002, 09:52 PM
No problem. Glad to have helped. :)
-D

teddyman
07-21-2002, 10:08 AM
please Whirlwind make some short animation of arm deformation . I use yor model setup and still Idonīt understand. please help.thx

Whirlwind
07-30-2002, 06:37 PM
Sorry for the long delay, I was in the process of moveing to San Francisco. We just finally settled in and I can know get back to work. I'll try my best to make an animation, still working on getting a site up to store my stuff. But if you drop me a line, via e-mail, I can send you a short avi that demostrates what I think works.
-D

teddyman
07-31-2002, 09:24 AM
:beer:
ok email hajavan@centrum.cz

I'm enjoying

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.