PDA

View Full Version : insanely simple tutorial explaining bones/constraints/envelopes

saajjj
06-29-2002, 12:41 PM
yep.. that's what i'm looking for. i have about 15 tutorials relating to animation. but none of them really explain the character setup.. i'm a beginner and need to start from the simplest basics.. right from constructing the 2d bone chains to constraining objects to it.. and enveloping objects ...

i mean.. i don't even understand the difference between constraining an object to the bones and enveloping it... :annoyed:

anyone know of a character setup tut for dummies ?
btw.. i've more or less covered most aspects of modeling in xsi.. so making the character skin/envelope? shouldn't be a problem at all..

thanks

p.s. does "character rigging" mean setting up the whole thing from scratch? or does this term refer to a specific thing?

Atyss
06-29-2002, 05:36 PM
@@@@
yep.. that's what i'm looking for. i have about 15 tutorials relating to animation. but none of them really explain the character setup.. i'm a beginner and need to start from the simplest basics.. right from constructing the 2d bone chains to constraining objects to it.. and enveloping objects ...
@@@@

Go to www.jordibares.co.uk
In the tutorials section, there is a Skeleton Tutorial. You should read this, as it is incely explained. You'll understand everything after that.

@@@@
i mean.. i don't even understand the difference between constraining an object to the bones and enveloping it... :annoyed:
@@@@

Envelopping involves deformation. If you create a complete character in one mesh, you'll have to enveloppe it the the whole bone structure, so it will follow the said structre and deform in the joint areas.

Constraining is.... well, constraining. You create a constraint relation between one or more objects, so one controls some parameters on the constrained one.

@@@@
anyone know of a character setup tut for dummies ?
btw.. i've more or less covered most aspects of modeling in xsi.. so making the character skin/envelope? shouldn't be a problem at all..
@@@@

It wouldn't hurt if you could invest in some learning material. For this kind of stuff, I recommend the Cumbria Training CDs (www.cmagic.co.uk) and Softimage XSI Character Animation FX & Design, by Chris Maraffi (can be easily found on Amazon.com). The Animation manual would also be of great help.

@@@@
p.s. does "character rigging" mean setting up the whole thing from scratch? or does this term refer to a specific thing?
@@@@

It is specific. Rigging consist of building the skeleton, envelopping the character, applying constraints and control objects and defining joint deformations, plus all potential expressions and linked parameters. Rigging is a huge task!

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

saajjj
07-01-2002, 06:23 AM
Thanks very much indeed.. i've already ordered the book you mentioned :) hopefully that should make things slightly easier

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.