PDA

View Full Version : Painter 6.1 and Wacom wierdness?

Squeakypics
02-10-2004, 11:15 AM
I've just upgraded my computer (XP pro, 1 gig ram etc) I transferred Painter 6.1 over and suprise, suprise, everything goes wrong.

I sorted the classic ' not enough memory' problem by changing the swapfile size. But now I find that my cursor doesn't line up with the line I'm drawing. I've updated the wacom drivers with no result .
I'm using a dual monitor set up that worked fine on my old machne (Win 2K) I've tried running Painter in emulation mode but that doesn't help either.

I broke down and loaded the demo of Painter 8 and everything works fine but I dont really want to upgrade as everything seems to work slower in it (especially the 2nd hand Photoshop workflow)compared to 6.1

Any one have any ideas?

Squeakypics
02-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Solved it.
So, for further reference for anyone else who might run into this one. I had to completely remove the Wacom from my system, re start and then load the drivers again. Very strange as it is a brand new machine and no other app had any probs with the wacom.

After playing with Painter8 for a little while I'm really glad to get back to 6.1 the drawing tools just seem to be that little bit quicker and smoother. Could just be me though, anyone else find this?

gdepeute
02-22-2005, 12:08 PM
I was experiencing the same problem and read that other people with "Painter Classic" and "Painter 6" were seeing the same thing on other forums.
When looking into the problem a bit deeper I found out it was a simple programming bug that is in the code, for people with a pagefile that is "too big for the program"

I wrote a simple fix for the problem (and documented the fix).
Read about it (and download it) from http://dev.depeuter.org (http://dev.depeuter.org/)

Hope this helps,
-- Geert

rogfa
02-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Hey Squeakypics,

I had the same problem too but it was a different solution. If I ran at 1024by768 the stylus and brush were aligned. If I increased my res any higher they would go out of wack. I ended up getting a Viewsonic and have the res at 1280by960 and it's fine.

I totally agree. I know Corel is saying Painter 9 is the fastest Painter yet but it's still not as fast as Painter 6. I can work with some very large files in P6 that just choke PhotoShop and Painter 9. But to be fair I really like all the Impasto brushes in Painter 8 and 9. Now, If only 9 supported dual monitors on a PC. I would upgrade for sure.

Jinbrown
02-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi,

PC/Windows users have been using two monitors with Painter for years and I expect many are using two monitors with Painter IX.

You just have to stretch the Painter application window across both monitors, then drag your palettes to the second monitor (if that's how you planned to use both monitors).

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.