PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Character Pipeline at Siggraph 2003

Pickman
02-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi there, I'm currently learning character animation in Maya complete 5.0 and I've been told the guys over at tippett studios did a very good presentation at siggraph 2003 on advanced character pipeline, is there any chance to get or buy the materials that were given for the event ? I searched Alias site and didn't find any source to buy. Was there a dvd or something like that ??
THX :wavey:

loked
02-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey Pickman,

I'm not too sure how advanced you are and what exactly it is you're learning, but you say you're an animator and that presentation has absolutely nothing to do with animation and just as much to do with rigging. It's a course on pipelines. So if you're interested in setting up a pipeline for a character, then it's perfect for you. You wont learn anything about rigging or animation from it.

Sorry if you are looking for pipeline stuff :)

later
loked

Pickman
02-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi ! I'm particularly interested in the muscle body structure for the rig, I know it's not about animation :) though I think pretty much everything is entangled nowadays...the title was pipeline and tools, not only the pipeline;)

loked
02-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey :)

Yeah, the muscle part is very cool, but very complex. It requires API knowledge to write a plugin like it, but all the source code comes with it, so you could edit that or just use it like it is for your own purposes.

I must just warn you that if you are going to pay alot of money for it, the muscles are just a small portion of the course. It's way more pipeline stuff. As a TD, I definitely do think the pipeline stuff is very worthwhile, so if you're a td, the definitely get it :)

later :wavey:
loked

Pickman
02-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Where can I get it then, I haven't seen any purchase add on Alias ?? I'm not that advanced in the scripting part, though I've been coding some stuff for the web, like actionscript, I think MEL is pretty straightforward ;-) The API on the other hand seems more difficult, but the documentation on the internet and the package is substantial enough. I always plan things in the long run, so scripting will definately be on my mind ;-)
For now I don't know Maya enough to mmake good scripts.

loked
02-10-2004, 12:24 PM
It doesnt look like Alias has made a DVD out of it yet, but they should be pretty soon. They seem to have made from all the other stuff. I guess you just gotta wait and see.

API is a little hardcore, but MEL is definitely a must and it's fairly straight forward and easy to get into.

Good Luck :)

later:wavey:
loked

pthuriot
02-10-2004, 03:41 PM
hey there,

first off, thanks for your interest.

so yeah, erick miller (from digital domain) and i (from tippett studio) did that class...and we just finalized the deal with alias to release it on dvd.

i can't give you any details on when it'll be released (since i honestly don't know! ;p but we're hoping soon! the dvd has been made, and we've seen it...so it's just a matter of time before they get it manufactured, etc.

and yeah, there's a lot in that class...the muscle and deformer parts are just a small portion. from pipeline, mel scripting, auto character rigging, writing basic plugIns, and the muscle/deformer stuff.... it'll come with everything that we covered (and didn't have time to fully cover ;p in the class...the (something like) 56 page .pdf, tons of MEL scripts, the plugins and code, model files, etc.

keep on checking the alias.com site, when it's ready, it'll be posted for sale there.

oh, and they are changing the name of the class to something like "character tools" (sorry, i don't remember exactly) to coincide with their other releases, but i'm sure it'll be easy to spot!

macaroniKazoo
02-10-2004, 10:03 PM
wow, sounds like a hot little item. thanks for the info Paul!

hey loked, hows your muscle stuff going anyway?

loked
02-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey macaroniKazoo,

I havent really delved too deeply into the muscle stuff itself. I figure if I'm gonna be making something worthwhile that can actually benefit industry people, I need to really know what I'm doing. So I'm going all out on API. I'm getting pretty good and will be posting my first plugin on jonhandhisdog pretty soon :)

Once I've got my head around API, I will start looking at the muscle systems. Using Paul and Eric's stuff as a guideline as well as past siggraph notes.

I will keep you updated though ;)

loked

pthuriot
02-11-2004, 08:26 AM
hey loked,

sweet! it's always great to hear about someone going out and developing things for the "community!" that's AWESOME!

if you ever want to bounce some ideas around, let me know, mainly since i spent over a year and a half (if not going on 2 now!) researching and implementing muscle and skin systems for work (of course, NOT the thing in the class ;)

have fun,

jschleifer
02-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Sounds like an awesome course.. can't wait to see it!

kiaran
02-15-2004, 02:56 AM
pthuriot- That class sounds awesome. I want it now!

loked- I was wondering what avenue you took to learn the Maya API. I know the documentation is pretty good but I'm assuming one will need other help (at least I do).

I've picked up a copy of Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, and C++ from the beginning text. I'm pretty good at programming little command prompt programs and I want to graduate to API programming, any suggestions on books, courses etc?

loked
02-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey Kiaran,

The documentation is a really good start. If I was to recommend a book, it would definitely be David Gould's "Complete Maya Programming". It's the only Maya API book that I know of and it's really cool ;) There are also some nice tut's online!

Good Luck ;)

loked

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.