PDA

View Full Version : >>Objects: Ammo Crates!!!!!

SecretAgent
02-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Hey guys. I just finished up these for a game company
test I had last week. They are my first models completed
in 3D Max.

For the test I learned 3D Max in a few days, enough to
model, texture, light, and render. I usually use Maya for
my work but, now I know Max!

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Mode7_images/Crates/Crates01.jpg

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Mode7_images/Crates/Crates02.jpg

baaah888
02-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Looks very nice, The only crit i got is for the wooden crates,

It's probably just me but the sides with the flamable logo's, the black lines that seperate the boards look a tad too sharp, I mean a box like that is gonna be pretty water tight so the cracks wouldnt be as dark, in theory. ( if this seems a tad too picky then sorry)

Also my other problem was the nails. they all have that teardrop shape. and im thinking that looks a little obscure.

Other than that, some really nice work.

SecretAgent
02-09-2004, 09:59 PM
>>baaah888: hey, thanks for the comments (they're not too
picky, heh)! I agree w/you, the lines on the sides do look a
little too dark and too clean. The nails look a little odd also,
I was trying to give them a "rust drip" look but, it seems a
little too dark I guess.

Supervlieg
02-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Nice objects. A bit on the simple side, but good for practice I think.

Being picky:
The scratches on the lid of the grey metallic boxes look a bit too similar. They might have some more randomness.

The green boxes could do with more peeled of paint at the edges instead of in the middle. The edges would be more peeled of because this is where the boxes are most likely to scrape past walls and such.

Edit: Oh yeah, flammable is with double m. You might wanna double check your spelling if this goes out for a job application ;)

ninjacore
02-10-2004, 01:24 AM
looks pretty good to me!! the wooden box look like u could pick them up!

you should make some tutorials for noobs like me. i wanna know it al haha!

Miroku
02-10-2004, 02:03 AM
ahh ammo crates. One of my favorite subjects ;)

The sides of the green crate could use some work. The stamped metal pattern looks flat where it is being obscured by dirt/sand. You should try not to let the dirt covering overpower the sculpting of the object.

On the wood crate I would add a very subtle diffused shadow under the beams that are crossing the top part. It'll make them sit a little bit better, and match the forced shadow you have on the side of the crate. I'd also break up the black lines and add a varied subtle hilight underneath them to make the boards (on the front and top) look a little more 3D.
Another thing I just noticed after looking really closely is that the lines separating each board on the side of the box lid dont all match up with the top of the box. I'd make sure to line those up precisely.

The metal box should probably have its white levels lowered. I would also desaturate and scratch up the hazardous material logo thing a little bit more. Those colors really pop out from the dirty looking metal.

Overall I think you've done a good job. I like your choice of wood grain a lot. Just a few more tweaks and I'd have no complaints.

TRyanD
02-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Awsome work man :)

GL and hope you get hired, you do some awsome stuff!!

Ive still got a ways to go before i feel im ready to even try applying places again rofl, ill post some map stuff ive been making for crits soon, cause im trying to get alot better still and need help :P

SecretAgent
02-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks a lot for the nice compliments and crits guys. I know
they're simple objects but, I've never modeled or done anything
in Max before plus, I was given a pic of a bunch of ammo crates
for the test and told to model a bunch of them.

Yeah, now that I look at it w/a fresh eye, there are a lot of little
things I can do to better them. If I get a chance, I'll make some
of those adjustments. One problem I couldn't figure out was the
squigly lines on the side/front of the crate (at the top and bot),
that's an error from Max and I can't figure out why it's doing
that, the UV's are straight so I don't know what's up with that.

Here's a pic of the texture maps.

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Mode7_images/Crates/Crates03.jpg

PsychoSilence
02-10-2004, 01:51 PM
very nice texture work ! really like how the wood turned out !

samgrice
02-10-2004, 05:02 PM
excellent work as usual eric! thats alot of detal for 256 maps, well done. i'm still so suprised you havent been picked up yet.

the problems your having with the max render is the anti-alaising, you can turn it on in the render settings (it should be on by default).

anyway, good luck with this one eric!

SecretAgent
02-10-2004, 06:02 PM
>>PsychoSilence: Thanks!

>>samgrice: Hey Sam, Thanks! I actually turned off anti-aliasing
on purpose, to make the render look more like it was in a
game engine. Heh heh, I got a copy of Brazil yesterday so I'll
have to try that out next. By the way, your CitizenX trailer
turned out really well, your work is getting better and better, I
can't wait to see what you do next.

ninjacore
02-10-2004, 06:21 PM
you see those 256x256 textures u have there! how have u got them so detailed? since being new to all this, i'm unsure what DPI i should choose when creating a new document in photoshop for a texture. at the moment i made a 512x512 doc with 120 DPI. but it looks really pixelly and blocky on my model.

i know this off the topic of your work, but can anyone help, or send me to a thread which covers it? :D

Beaneh
02-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Not much to crit now is there :). Great stuff as always, just one question, are those textures in the render actually 256x256? or bigger size? Cause they seem to be a lot higher quality..

SecretAgent
02-10-2004, 07:00 PM
yeah, the textures in the renders are actually 512x512, I forgot to change those stats in the pics I put up, sorry. I did try to shrink them to 256 but, lost all the detail in the text (even after using the sharpen filter).

>> ninjacore: My textures are rendered at 512x512 (I forgot to change the stats in the pics, sorry). First off, always work in 72dpi, that is screen resolution and it won't look any better on a monitor/TV than that. Second, in my opinion, I think it's best to work at the actual resolution size you want your final output to be. I used to do things one size up from my final output but, when I shrank them down, I loose most of the fine details (even after using the sharpen filter) and end up doing all kinds of touchup anyways - it's better to just work in the size of the final. It also depends on the brushes you're using in photoshop. For example, if you working at say 256x256, you're gonna want to use smaller/harder brush sizes, that have a sharper edge, possibly even pixel brushes for fine details.

It is possible to get really good detail in smaller map sizes such as 128 or 256 (I've seen it done) but, it takes practice. I really think it's best to work at the actual size of the final texture (I can't stress that enough), some people will dissagree but, it's just my opinion. Start looking around for texturing tutorials to learn the tricks of the pro's, there are lots around out there for free.

I hope this helps you a little more ninjacore (sorry about that rhyme, heh).

kleinluka
02-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Nice stuff Eric!

I really like the wooden and the green metallic crates. Nice detail on the both of them and great dirt.

The silver box however is a huge turnoff IMO. It's way too heavy on sharpen, looks greasy as a result and the scratches look kind of unconvincing cause they are just like ..straight lines that go all across the whole thing. The little blue-red-white logo thing on the side could use some color correction and desaturation so it blends in with the rest a bit better.

Good stuff all in all, but I'd definitely redo the grey box and make it less greasy and more...metallic.

ninjacore
02-11-2004, 01:38 AM
thanks for the tips eric. gonna see what i can do here with a 512x512. :)

SecretAgent
02-11-2004, 04:42 AM
>>kleinluka: Thanks for the compliments man - I'm always impressed by your texture work on your site, great stuff! Yeah, I should post the reference picture that the company gave me to base the crates off of because that metalic grey box is kinda washed out in the photo, so that texture was defenitley a bit more difficult, hell painting convincing metal period is pretty tough. I agree w/you it probably could use a little more adjustments to fix it up but, the logo is kind of a plastic sticker so I don't really think the color would fade or be too desaturated too much but, I see your point. Thanks for the crit though and a I'll post that picture of the crates so you can see what I had for reference.

>> ninjacore: cool man, you'd be surprised that ammount of detail you can get out of 512x512 texture space, that's pretty generous considering how most console games ala Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube are only using 256x256 mostly.

SecretAgent
02-11-2004, 05:46 AM
OK, this is the picture I was given for reference to this test - this was all I had to go off of (other than my own reference gathered).

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Mode7_images/Crates/crate_ref.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.