PDA

View Full Version : character: elf girl

commy
02-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Finaly finished my game elf girl character (had rigging issues) shes 2900 tri's for the body and 400 tri's for weapons and extras. all done in XSI, going for more of a fantasy look so her skin tone is softer and her outfit very vivid. btw she doesnt have any facial shape so it is just that sort of black expression atm lol

http://www.matthewdickinson.com/files/elfsheet1.jpg
From left to right we have sneaking, the all important asian school girlpose, and bow firing

http://www.matthewdickinson.com/files/elfsheet2.jpg
From left to right again we have a sword pose, hand on sword and a back view of the bow position

http://www.matthewdickinson.com/files/elftexturebody.jpg http://www.matthewdickinson.com/files/elftextureweapons.jpg

comments, questiions welcomed

wartorn
02-08-2004, 02:51 AM
sweet model to say the least, but i find that there are some proportion errors in the forearm, theres this over amplified muscle which maybe someone like Popeye would exhibit, and as for her face.... that really needs some work i think, as she doesnt look like the traditional elf, she looks like some mongolian warrior... the texture work is lovely, but i would highly recommend redoing the face. other than that, great job!

Streetgrime
02-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Pretty damn cool...

I'd also advise to Tinker with the face a bit. Otherwise it looks great.

commy
02-08-2004, 03:14 AM
her lack or in fact absence of any facial shapes doesnt help as well as that open mouth hopefully when ic an do some shapes she'll look alot nicer, the muscle thing is a mix between not having any skin deformations and her exagerated proportions i shall see what i can fix :)

thanx guys

commy
02-08-2004, 06:54 PM
im not sure quite what to do with her face but ive played around and come back with this

http://www.matthewdickinson.com/files/facetest.jpg

commy
02-09-2004, 02:13 PM
only 2 people have an opinion on this? wow an all new cgtalk low i reckon! c'mon everyone give some crit :D

Hurdy Gurdy
02-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Hope you don't mind the audacity...
I couldn't help but notice some proportion issues when looking at your model. I took the liberty of doing a quick draw-over to point out the issues that I noticed. Did it in a couple of sec with a mouse, so forgive my own "squiggliness".

But, for the most part I think youre right on track here, aside from the thinning up of the head and forhead height.

Good Job!

http://www.offield.com/images/other/facetest-help.jpg

-hg

Prs-Phil
02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
k m8, you wanted crit ... you get crit :)

The texture is not bad but not really good. The folds need more definition (hint: 1 pixel brush)
The face also needs some more colors and variation. The lips also look very pale.

Would be cool if you could post a wireframe but her face doesnt look really nice. I would make it way slicker and I would also add some eyebrows.

AdamAtomic
02-09-2004, 03:49 PM
bring her lower lip and jaw back some, and bring down the outside corners of her eyes. In the human face, subtlety will get you everywhere! Also, bring in the sides of her head a tad as well. I'd recommend that you find perhaps a picture of a female head and really study it to see how the anatomy is in real life, then make those subtle tweaks (slanted eyes, pointy ears, thinner nose) to make her elvish.

EDIT - her hands are pretty badly deformed as well - not sure if that's a rigging issue or what, but they could definitely use some work!

Armada
02-09-2004, 03:50 PM
It looks like here jaw is protruding quite a bit further than it should, gurner style.
Ears and the whole side of her head needs to come in a bit, not scaled, just moved. Add eyebrows as already suggested and get in there with a small brush to tidy up the vague edges.

Everything else looks good.

EDIT - Took the time to answer my phone and someone reads my mind :)

Sozialcyke
02-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Well, it's a minor point, but I woudl say to increase the height of the bow and length of the arrow. And it's current size, it looks like it couldn't hurt a fly, which I don't think is the look you are going for. As a rule of thumb, when an arrow is knocked, the tail of the arrow is even with the eyes.

Besides that, fabulous texture work, and comments about face work have already been made.

commy
02-17-2004, 11:35 PM
woo shes back :) didnt notice that doodle before heads way to high on that tho ek, her proportions are from references tho ive funked them up a bit i tweaked her face slightly i should post some updates i guess but no time :(

rob-beddall
02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
hey!!
i can't work out why you have used so much texture space for the teeth? they are bigger than the space used for the face

looks quite good tho
cheers!!

commy
02-24-2004, 02:02 PM
it was free space lol seemed silly to leave it empty :) not my best uve layout ever tho i guess :/

TRyanD
02-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Good model but the head looks like one of those trolls with the hair sticking up that were popular for a while :P

Beastie
02-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Not too bad but Id work on the face, most elves are good looking... Her eyes arent anything like a human set of eyes, check out some head references, they slant at a wierd angle and dent inward towards her nose. The lips are kind of low which give her a trollish look. Move them up and round her chin alittle, its too beaklike. The underbite i think hurts her overall look. With some mods this could be a great model.

nattnewman
02-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Hey Beastie

Couldnt help comment on this:

"most elves are good looking"

Met many elves, have you? *raised eyebrow*

Model is looking nice, and I do think that the proportions need tweaked a little.

Although Ive never met an elf...Im quite sure that the Tolkien inspired elves are quite nimble and agile - I dont think that her figure suggests this at the moment. I dont see any Russian acrobat in her :P

Starting to look really nice though - keep up the good work, and I hope to see the GT 2005 car model here sometime soon :). How are those brake lights and indicators coming along?

Beastie
03-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Hey Beastie

Couldnt help comment on this:

"most elves are good looking"

Met many elves, have you? *raised eyebrow*

Model is looking nice, and I do think that the proportions need tweaked a little.

Although Ive never met an elf...Im quite sure that the Tolkien inspired elves are quite nimble and agile

I meant the same thing you said but was in alittle bit of a hurry. I think commy knew what I meant also and I cant wait to see his model after a few tweaks. I didnt mean any ill will toward his model, its going to be great.

-- Hot Tempered Comments Edited Out ----- ;)

nattnewman
03-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Hey Beastie,

I wasn't trying to be rude by saying that. Sorry again, no hard feelings?

:cheers:

Nathan.

commy
03-04-2004, 02:53 PM
just back from an interview and i got alot of crit on this model so i will be trying to improve her soon! (tho if i get the job it'll take longer lol)

btw she now (according to posts) has an overbite and underbite to me that balances out lol i dunno

Migs
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
The style is interesting, but the only crit I have has already been mentioned. The skin texture is unrealistic and plasticky. You might want to refer to photorealistic skin textures to help you out here. To make her face more aesthetically appealing (if that's what you truly want), you might want to try making the mouth and nose a little smaller. The face overall seems kind of...lumpy, which is typically not a desirable trait.

amola2k
03-20-2004, 06:00 PM
good model
i like your poses too
u might wanna add slight tweaks to the face model and texture tho
good work anyway
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.